NFL 2023-2024 Season

The question you should ask is 'what are the rules?'

Sports Broadcasting Act doesn't permit all / substantial portion of a game after 6pm EST.

The game is at 3pm. Streaming is likely a red herring.
"The NFL is forbidden from doing a night game on a Friday or Saturday before the second Saturday in December, to protect the audiences at high-school playoff games and college football games till mid-December. So that means the Black Friday game would have to begin no later than 4:15 p.m. ET or so."

NFL's first Black Friday game will stream for free on Amazon Prime

I’ll go with 6 including the TNF obligation
2 Sunday nights
2 Monday night
The late Turkey Day game

I’m sure they’ll get a nationwide 4:25 CBS game early in the season.
nailed it
2 Sunday Nights
2 Monday Nights
The TNF obligation
and not the Late Turkey game but the Black Friday game
also 4 late games

"The NFL is forbidden from doing a night game on a Friday or Saturday before the second Saturday in December, to protect the audiences at high-school playoff games and college football games till mid-December. So that means the Black Friday game would have to begin no later than 4:15 p.m. ET or so."

NFL's first Black Friday game will stream for free on Amazon Prime
The law doesn't prevent them from playing the games, it only prevents them from Broadcasting it within 75 miles of a high school or college game being played.

I wouldn't consider streaming on Amazon to be broadcasting.

The law doesn't prevent them from playing the games, it only prevents them from Broadcasting it within 75 miles of a high school or college game being played.

I wouldn't consider streaming on Amazon to be broadcasting.
How does the shows get to your TV if its not Broadcast ?
Streaming is streaming, but its still being broadcast, or it wouldn't show on your TV ...

If thats the case, why not Stream All the games, then you can do what ever you want, no rules.

I think the Rules WILL apply to Streaming as well.

If thats the case, why not Stream All the games, then you can do what ever you want, no rules.
Because CBS and NBC pay the NFL lots of money to broadcast their games.

The actual law uses the term "telecasting station", so a streaming only game would likely be safe.
SEC. 3. Section 1 of this Act shall not apply to any joint agreement
described in section 1 of this Act which permits the telecasting of all
or a substantial part of any professional football game on any ^Friday
after six o'clock postmeridian or on any Saturday during the period
beginning on the second Friday in September and ending on tne sec-
ond Saturday in December in any year from any telecasting station
located within seventy-five miles of the game site
of any intercollegi-
ate football contest scheduled to be played on such a date if—
(1) such intercollegiate football contest is between institutions
of higher learning both of which confer degrees upon students
following completion of sufficient credit hours to equal a four-year
course, and
(2) such intercollegiate football contest and such game site
were announced through publication in a daily newspaper of gen-
eral circulation prior to March 1 of such year as bemg regularly
scheduled for such day and place.
As stevo pointed out though, starting the game at 3:00pm safeguards it as the substatial part of the game will be over by 6:00pm.

Chargers content team kills it again this year.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1656811935311200257

orson welles applause GIF

It is incredible how desperate some people are for NFL content. The schedule release?! Seriously?!?

Reactions: SamCdbs

The actual law uses the term "telecasting station", so a streaming only game would likely be safe.

As stevo pointed out though, starting the game at 3:00pm safeguards it as the substatial part of the game will be over by 6:00pm.
Streaming couldn't be imagined when this legislation was crafted back in 1961.

Reactions: Jimbo
Streaming couldn't be imagined when this legislation was crafted back in 1961.
That and Prime is a paid service, not considered to be a Broadcaster, like the Networks, do not know if being a Cable Channel would be a loophole for the rule?

Keep in mind, those rules were made WAY before Streaming .... new technology doesn't necessarily omit it .

That and Prime is a paid service, not considered to be a Broadcaster, like the Networks, do not know if being a Cable Channel would be a loophole for the rule?
I wondered about that. I'm surprised the NFL hasn't tried to do a Friday night game on Cable in order to test that loophole. But if I remember right though, they agreed as part of the exemption to broadcast every team's game in it's home market (with the exception of the home team not having a sellout), which is why the ESPN and Amazon games are usually broadcast on a local channel for the 2 teams playing.

Last edited:
I see the NFL has decided to wossiefy the game even more ....

They are now deciding to Fair Catch a Kick Off and place it at the 25 yard line ....
Where did the NFL go that I grew up with ?

Kick Returners have been taken out of the game for awhile now ...
What position will be taken away next ???

RB is almost gone ...
Kicker (punt) next ???

I see the NFL has decided to wossiefy the game even more ....

They are now deciding to Fair Catch a Kick Off and place it at the 25 yard line ....
Where did the NFL go that I grew up with ?

Kick Returners have been taken out of the game for awhile now ...
What position will be taken away next ???

RB is almost gone ...
Kicker (punt) next ???
Size, speed, and athleticism! You can not compare the game to 20 years ago....Many more major injuries . And lets not forget the NFL knew for years about head injuries tied to CTE and said and did nothing about it....In fact they didnt have anything set up for players after they retire and those problem start to arise as they age!

Size, speed, and athleticism! You can not compare the game to 20 years ago....Many more major injuries . And lets not forget the NFL knew for years about head injuries tied to CTE and said and did nothing about it....In fact they didnt have anything set up for players after they retire and those problem start to arise as they age!
Go to what the XFL did ....

Kickoff formation
XFL rule: The kicker lines up at his 30-yard line, with the other 10 members of the kickoff team lining up at the opponent's 35 -- 5 yards away from the returning team. Only the kicker and one returner can move until the ball is fielded. Touchbacks are spotted at the 35-yard line. Mar 23, 2023

Just think about what an overweight athlete the Fridge was in the mid 80s.....now its the norm without being overweight....night and day

Every team had half the team like him. :facepalm
What does that mean?....he was the next generation of athletes....but fat and overweight....now they are 300lbs plus and even more in shape....think head on car crashes at full speed....over and over....guess you dont watch football

What does that mean?....he was the next generation of athletes....but fat and overweight....now they are 300lbs plus and even more in shape....think head on car crashes at full speed....over and over....guess you dont watch football
You are just off the rail saying
Size, speed, and athleticism! You can not compare the game to 20 years ago....
You're acting like it was the 1950s 20 years ago. and like athleticism has just been discovered in the past 20 years. you toss about the Fridge,I'll up you a Mike Tyson. he would do the same kinda work today he did in the Fridge era.

You are just off the rail saying

You're acting like it was the 1950s 20 years ago. and like athleticism has just been discovered in the past 20 years. you toss about the Fridge,I'll up you a Mike Tyson. he would do the same kinda work today he did in the Fridge era.
Ok....you dont watch football.....nor understand what has happened with athletes....enjoy