Status
Please reply by conversation.

datwell

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 25, 2004
Falls Church, VA
I am seriously considering getting the Sony PS3 and I would like to know how well the NFL Sunday Ticket via the PS3 is working for people. I have 15/2 FiOS from Verizon.

Thanks in advance! --Doug

It is my understanding that the NFL Sunday Ticket is now available over the PlayStation Network. A software update and a subscription ($300+) are the requirements. Hopefully, you have enough bandwidth to stream all of this to a big screen TV and get a satisfactory picture.

They were discussing this today on the Ron& Fez Show. They said it was constant rebuffering and freezing on the early games,and it worked ok on the late games when less people were using the service.

Well, the "free preview" didn't apply to PS3 owners unless they already had a DirecTV account - we're FiOS TV subscribers. Anyway, there is no way I would consider paying $300+ without first checking-out the picture quality and usability of NFL ST on the PS3 (e.g., it had better like broadcast HD quality and change channels lickity-split.

Well, the "free preview" didn't apply to PS3 owners unless they already had a DirecTV account - we're FiOS TV subscribers. Anyway, there is no way I would consider paying $300+ without first checking-out the picture quality and usability of NFL ST on the PS3 (e.g., it had better like broadcast HD quality and change channels lickity-split.

YES!! If the product isn't up to par ...

I used it and the online that to my NFL ST plan. It was very serviceable; some were between very, very good WS SD and mediocre HD; but that was my expectation going in seeing how it is nothing more than a webcast.

charper1 said:
I used it and the online that to my NFL ST plan. It was very serviceable; some were between very, very good WS SD and mediocre HD; but that was my expectation going in seeing how it is nothing more than a webcast.

Thanks for the quick reply; anyone else have similar experiences? My brother lives in an apartment in NY where TWC has a monopoly

I used Sunday Ticket via PS3 all season, since I just became a customer this month. It was great! Very rarely had a problem. I would never pay full price for it tho.

Just want to reemphasize what gigahurtz said. I'm presently a D* sub that is dumping them for because I moved to a FIOS area. The unit really needs a hard line connection not wifi, but with the lone exception of the the month of September (where they were working out the bugs) the service was spot on for the entire season. FINALLY THERE IS A CHINK IN THE ARMOR OF THE D* SUNDAY TICKET DEATH GRIP! Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This option saves me a ton of money couple silicon duct cable card home run prime 6cc, i'm living the dream (lease fee per card is only $4). Yeah FIOS!!!!

FINALLY THERE IS A CHINK IN THE ARMOR OF THE D* SUNDAY TICKET DEATH GRIP! Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This option saves me a ton of money couple silicon duct cable card home run prime 6cc, i'm living the dream (lease fee per card is only $4). Yeah FIOS!!!!

That makes ZERO sense. It is still nearly the exact same costs for the ST add-on AND it is still 110% a DirecTV / NFL product. Just simply an app that allows you to connect to it (with full subscription to ST) via a PS3..

The programming package you may or may not have with your FioS service vs. what you would have with DirecTV is nearly a total wash.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
That makes ZERO sense. It is still nearly the exact same costs for the ST add-on AND it is still 110% a DirecTV / NFL product. Just simply an app that allows you to connect to it (with full subscription to ST) via a PS3..

The programming package you may or may not have with your FioS service vs. what you would have with DirecTV is nearly a total wash.

It's breaking the death grip in the sense that you don't have to shell out for a DirecTV system to get Sunday Ticket. Even if Sunday Ticket was available through different providers, it would cost the same.

It's breaking the death grip in the sense that you don't have to shell out for a DirecTV system to get Sunday Ticket. Even if Sunday Ticket was available through different providers, it would cost the same.

All it does is funnel high margin customers happy to pay full price to the service. No 'death grip breaking' to be found.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

All it does is funnel high margin customers happy to pay full price to the service. No 'death grip breaking' to be found.

Exactly, if the end user that chooses not to go through DirecTV for their "basic programming" has the perception that are "winning" then so be it.

Possibly, but I've never paid list price for ST. I place 1 or 2 annual phone calls to Retentions and I get somewhere between 50-75% off the list price for ST.

Exactly, if the end user that chooses not to go through DirecTV for their "basic programming" has the perception that are "winning" then so be it.

sbskzk.jpg

It's the same "ST hyperbole" that we've all seen at DBSTalk and to a lesser degree, here. When I read posts that refer to the "evil/monopoly" grip, etc that D* has on ST, I chuckle as I rarely read the entire story, ie, ST was open for bidding years ago and D* won the bidding process. If I recall correctly, there was little interest from the other major providers for the pkg.

As for FIOS, I have the 'net and phone svc at home (great 'net svc) and I get calls weekly to try and get me to sign up for their TV svc. I tell the Verizon CSR's the same thing every time...."As a sports fan, FIOS doesn't offer me the same sports (HD) feeds as D*." I'm referring to the overall sports programming options and not ST exclusively. I refer to the MLB, CI, and RSN's that I have available form D* that my local FIOS doesn't carry.

I haven't done a recent A/B comparison with my local FIOS sports lineup's but the last time I did, it wasn't a close race at all.

The replies that I receive are interesting from the FIOS CSR's, when I tell them this: "Uh...oh....sir.... you're right actually", or "You know, sir, I wasn't aware of this either. I see why you've stayed with your current TV provider."

They're curteous but persistant with my weekly e-mail's and phone msgs.

For those that want ST and FIOS (or cable, etc), they might consider both, sub'bing to the lowest D* pkg that will qualify them for ST access, and keeping FIOS, etc, for their main TV provider, for the "basics", etc.

Possibly, but I've never paid list price for ST. I place 1 or 2 annual phone calls to Retentions and I get somewhere between 50-75% off the list price for ST.

sbskzk.jpg

It's the same "ST hyperbole" that we've all seen at DBSTalk and to a lesser degree, here. When I read posts that refer to the "evil/monopoly" grip, etc that D* has on ST, I chuckle as I rarely read the entire story, ie, ST was open for bidding years ago and D* won the bidding process. If I recall correctly, there was little interest from the other major providers for the pkg.

As for FIOS, I have the 'net and phone svc at home (great 'net svc) and I get calls weekly to try and get me to sign up for their TV svc. I tell the Verizon CSR's the same thing every time...."As a sports fan, FIOS doesn't offer me the same sports (HD) feeds as D*." I'm referring to the overall sports programming options and not ST exclusively. I refer to the MLB, CI, and RSN's that I have available form D* that my local FIOS doesn't carry.

I haven't done a recent A/B comparison with my local FIOS sports lineup's but the last time I did, it wasn't a close race at all.

The replies that I receive are interesting from the FIOS CSR's, when I tell them this: "Uh...oh....sir.... you're right actually", or "You know, sir, I wasn't aware of this either. I see why you've stayed with your current TV provider."

They're curteous but persistant with my weekly e-mail's and phone msgs.

For those that want ST and FIOS (or cable, etc), they might consider both, sub'bing to the lowest D* pkg that will qualify them for ST access, and keeping FIOS, etc, for their main TV provider, for the "basics", etc.

that's my point, PS3 only users can't haggle the price.

Status
Please reply by conversation.