No Directivo until 2010

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/10-k-tivo-inc/story.aspx?guid={02899020-E40D-41D5-AE9E-B9E626C05B8A}&dist=msr_4

During the fiscal year ended January 31, 2009, our service revenues decreased by 11% or $23.1 million over the prior fiscal year due to a decrease of 91,000 TiVo-Owned subscriptions combined with an increase in the number of months over which we recognize product lifetime subscription revenues. Additionally, we continue to experience a decline in our MSOs/Broadcaster installed subscription base resulting in a decrease to our total cumulative subscription base. The loss of MSOs/Broadcaster subscriptions is a result of DIRECTV not currently deploying new TiVo boxes and our mass distribution deals with Comcast, Cox, and DIRECTV being still in development and/or the early phases of deployment.

Due to current economic conditions, on November 18, 2008, we reduced our operational expenses, primarily through a reduction in headcount of approximately 7% or 37 employees. We incurred pre-tax charges of approximately $1.0 million, for employee-related severance benefits and out-placement costs in the quarter and fiscal year ended January 31, 2009. We expect annual savings of approximately $5.1 million as a result of this reduction in headcount.

In this fiscal year ending January 31, 2010, we expect to continue our efforts to add new subscriptions through our mass distribution partnerships such as Comcast and through our TiVo-Owned direct and retail sales. However, we expect continued losses in our installed base of MSOs/Broadcasters subscriptions as DIRECTV will not deploy new TiVo boxes prior to the launch of the new HD platform described in the Significant Relationships section of Item 1. Business, and our mass distribution deals with Comcast, Cox, and Seven (Australia and in the future New Zealand) are still in development and/or the early phases of deployment.

Service revenues may well be lower in the fiscal year ending January 31, 2010 than in fiscal year 2009 as revenues from new TiVo-Owned subscriptions are expected to be more than offset by the continued decline of product lifetime subscription related revenues as such revenues become fully recognized. Additionally, mass distribution partnerships including Comcast, Cox, Seven (Australia and in the future New Zealand), and others are in the early phases of development or deployment and will be more than offset by our continued subscription losses from our DIRECTV subscriptions, as the HD DIRECTV DVR with TiVo service will not be available until calendar year 2010.

Well there you have it, right from Tivo:
Continued subscription losses from our DIRECTV subscriptions, as the HD DIRECTV DVR with TiVo service will not be available until calendar year 2010.

Yeah, when I posted this, it hadnt yet hit the other site. I imagine those guys will start jumping off cliffs after this news.

Yeah I can just see all the threads this will Generate...;)

Yeah, the Directivo thread at DBS was huge, and full of "I cant wait to dump my HR 2nd Qtr of 2009". Ooops :)

Yeah, when I posted this, it hadnt yet hit the other site. I imagine those guys will start jumping off cliffs after this news.

I'm not jumping as the new Tivo wasn't a big deal to me. Also during the earnings call in January Tivo said the new Direct tivo wouldn't come until "next year" which I always took as 2010. So this doesn't surprise me.

But yeah, I'm sure a lot of people will take flying leaps over the cliff and speculation will grow that the box will never see the light of day.

As someone who has a TivoHD, its not that great. To me, it does what every other dvr does, record shows. I do like the youtube, watch now and amazon unbox though, those rock! But as a DVR, it pains me that it doesnt have something simple like:

*) If a show has been previously watched
*) How much FRACKING space is left for recordings

My HR20 was great, and my HR22 was great UNTIL I added the AM21, then it became a slow dog. Directv should be embarrased about this. The 722 is smoking fast.

I wouldnt be toooooo proud of the 922 until it hits, look at the 722k bugs.

Also, I was so tired of hearing TiVo TiVo TiVo, and when I got my TiVoHD, I was like "this is it??"

I have had some kind of dvr for 7 years now, and the HR, 622/722 and TivoHD are pretty good.

I'm not jumping as the new Tivo wasn't a big deal to me. Also during the earnings call in January Tivo said the new Direct tivo wouldn't come until "next year" which I always took as 2010. So this doesn't surprise me.

But yeah, I'm sure a lot of people will take flying leaps over the cliff and speculation will grow that the box will never see the light of day.
Same here. Probably wasn't going to get it anyway. My experience with the older TiVOs is much worse than anything with the HRxx's.

I really don't care . I have a TiVo S3 (OTA only now) and recently switched back to Directv. I'm pretty happy with the HR22, only miising 2 things from the TiVo:

-Dual buffer
-TiVo to Go.

I can live without the dual buffer and TiVo-To-Go will never be available wit D* anyway. On the other hand, the HR22 has some nice features not available with the S3:

-The blue key is nice to see what is ahead on the guide. With the S3 I have to actually browse the guide.

-The RF remote is much better and allow me to distribute the signal to other TV (SD only).

-So far everything supposed to be recorded worked perfectly, same as the S3. Limit of 50 season passes ? I never had more than 20.

-500GB is a nice capacity, specially because MPEG4 needs less space.

-I hate video streaming (Netflix) and love VOD download.

I guess I am a perfect Directv customer now!

Status
Please reply by conversation.