Nutty Weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this present weather pattern stays this is going to be a very bad spring and summer for violent weather

Yes, that is what worries me. A day or two above normal is one thing, but a week and more when the lows are quite a bit higher than the normal highs is just too strange! Especially when it comes this early.

Here in eastern Nebraska we had such an abnormal winter. I only recall one cold snap. It only lasted for a few days and I think the coldest it got was -8 or maybe -10 F for a low. We had only two snowstorms that I would have called measurable (12 inches each) and a few light dustings that I wouldn't have bothered to measure. I remember a few winters which were really warm, but I am surprised that this one wasn't ranked higher (as in warmer) than it was. Maybe it will be now with these recent days of warmth included, still have a few days left of official winter and it is supposed to stay this warm.

Tron, you're right about the bugs! That is one bad thing about a really soft winter. There is less "winter kill" of the nasty little "no-see-ums" and they come out to haunt us in the spring and summer!

RADAR

I agree completely Radar! I'm a amateur meteorologist with a weather station on the roof and at least in my area have never seen such a warm weather pattern as long as i have been keeping records (30 plus years now).Its very normal to get temps 20 to 30 deg for a day or two at a time in the winter but this year its been very long stretches at a time with very hi temps.I have a very hard time believing that this is not the warmest winter since data has been recorded from the NWS!almost seems like a cover up.With daily highs being up to 30 degrees above norm for long periods of time this will make summer very hot in my area if this pattern doesn't break down.Example!! Average hi in the summer is 86 deg!Low mid 60s!If this pattern stays the same the ave high will be 100 plus and night temps 70s or higher.We ave a few heat waves a summer most lasting 3 to 5 days but this summer it could be way more than that with our cooler days being in the upper 80s/lower 90s versus mid upper 70s.I for one hope this pattern will change or i will see very little of the outdoors this summer.PS The heat really dosnt bother me too much!its the hi humidity we get with the hi temps that i dont like.

That is the summer pattern we got last year. We started hitting the 90's in May and kept rising into the 100's thru mid Sept. It was the 2nd warmest summer on record and broke records for most days above 100. AEP-PSO has an extra generator in the Tulsa facility that normally is only used for 1-2 weeks a year in late July early August. They had to run that generator most of June into Sept to meet the power demands of everyone A/C running constantly last summer. The heat doesn't really bother me either but the humidity bumping the heat index up to 115 kept me and most people indoors. I'm afraid where we may be heading this summer too if we are already hitting 80's in mid March.

Sent from my HTC Flyer

These were shown on the news earlier. Little tornado forming out around Mangum, OK earlier this evening.

Attachments

• mangum 3-18-2012.jpg
    mangum 3-18-2012.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 78
  • mangum 3-18-2012b.jpg
    mangum 3-18-2012b.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 85
OSU,

OK has always seemed to be (to me) to be the epitome of "tornado alley". The "HOT SPOT" for all tornado activity. Maybe including the panhandle of TX, but they occur all over, of course.

The Kearney / Grand Island, NE area is a good spot for tornadoes. Couple of movies were made as the result of the 1983 (? year ?) tornadoes in that area (Night of the Twisters). That was a strange storm. The cyclones spun in the opposite direction (they called them anti-cyclones) and the storm cell kept circling around the area for hours. It baffled the meteorologists. Nothing about the storm acted like what a normal storm pattern would follow.

I remember this storm system well because my family and I were driving back from South Dakota to Nebraska on the same night and we saw three tornadoes touching the ground to the east of Interstate I-29 along the way. Saw them touching ground when the lightning struck. The wind was so bad we had to keep switching drivers on the way home. The lightning was so intense, that it made it difficult to drive, too. You were blinded and by the time your eyes recovered, the lightning would strike again.

We made it home just fine, but heard about the GI tornadoes the next day. In the movie, they changed the name of the city to Ravenna so that prospective businesses would not be scared away from locating in GI.

RADAR

We get a lot. I just ignore it anymore. If it is coming your way, you're gonna know when you hear the freight train sound and better take cover. They tend to follow the highways and Interstates too, for some reason, path of least resistance, I guess. I have been on the edge of 2 and in the middle of 1.

When I was around 18, I was in the backyard with my dad and we watched one lift up along I-44 and dissipate at the edge of our neighborhood and then slowly reform and touchdown and follow the interstate again. It had destroyed a church and some homes 2 miles from us and then it followed the interstate and totally destroyed a historic Perry Maxwell designed golf course. It ripped every single tree out of the ground and destroyed every building on the course. My grandparents farm got hit by one in the 50's before I was born. Later in the 70's my grandpa built me a new basketball court on what was left of the slab and foundations of one of the barns that had blown away. Most homes from the 30's to late 50's usually had a basement or underground storm shelter. The 60's to the 90's you didn't see that anymore. Now in the last 10 years people are going back to underground shelters and concrete reinforced safe rooms.

While I was doing graduate work in the mid 90's at my alma mater OSU, one week I had to take the slower way back to Tulsa because they had shut down the main highways while filming the movie Twister. You could see the big cranes holding up tractors and stuff, to drop on the road in front of the vehicles as they drove along.

It is supposed to get near 90 here tomorrow. That is a heck of a way to end the winter for the last day of it.

They're predicting 7" to 8" of rain tomorrow which for us is expected to be epic flooding.. :eek:
There's a line of storms moving this way and they are extra nasty.

Tornadoes, severe wind (already happening) and heavy lightning are also on the plate for tomorrow. :(

I hate this prediction because it's very likely my house will flood if we do get that much rain. Two or three inches of rain floods my yard completely and brings it up to the edge of my slab. That much rain will put a bunch of water in my house. :cry:

..........They tend to follow the highways and Interstates too, for some reason, path of least resistance, I guess..........

I believe that tornadoes and storm systems generally follow the same pathways because of the terrain of the earth. We just happened to select the same routes for our highways and interstates because we thought it was the easiest or simplest path, too. Obviously, storms don't discriminate or decide what path they take, but they do develop and follow specific contours of the terrain. i.e. Water seeks its own level.

Storms don't plan their routes, they just happen naturally. We plan our routes and we just happen to select the same pathways because of accessibility reasons. If you follow the path of weather systems or storms, it becomes obvious that there is a correlation, at least to some small extent.

RADAR

flood 2012.JPG

They're predicting 7" to 8" of rain tomorrow which for us is expected to be epic flooding.. :eek:
There's a line of storms moving this way and they are extra nasty.

Tornadoes, severe wind (already happening) and heavy lightning are also on the plate for tomorrow. :(

I hate this prediction because it's very likely my house will flood if we do get that much rain. Two or three inches of rain floods my yard completely and brings it up to the edge of my slab. That much rain will put a bunch of water in my house. :cry:

Got the 6.5 inches of rain here in Broken Arrow and east of Tulsa already since yesterday thru today. Maybe closer to 7 now as it is just now clearing out and moving into Arkyland and the Bayou's. Lots of flooding already and more to come as it flows down the rivers into SE Oklahoma. Those parts of the state are also getting closer to 10-12 inches of rain too. Had to listen to the weather nuts on tv last night too. That really annoys me when they want to preempt primetime programming to tell us the same story over and over and show the same videos time after time.

Last edited:
Have you seen the temperatures out in the northwest? There's like a line west of Oklahoma going northward on up through Idaho and the temps on the other side are DOWN! So half the country is overly warm and the other have is "normal" to lower than normal. I remember reading back in the colder months where like 600 people in Europe died because of the extreme cold? I'll take this warm spring weather any time! ;-)

AS warm as it is now, 20 degrees above normal. I'm more afraid that we will hit 110-115 temps again this summer, like we did last year. It was the 2nd warmest summer on record in most of Oklahoma and I don't want to try setting a new one.

Sent from my HTC Flyer

Well we had fun today..

We got 5 inches of rain here, all of it drained into my yard of course. :mad:
And it's not over. The trailing edge of the storms stalled out over our area and is expected to sit here all night and continue to dump more rain. They are saying we'll have 8" of rain by morning. :mad:

I truly hate my neighbors. One guy that lives behind me keeps building his yard up higher and higher so that it's impossible for my yard to drain off.

My yard will remain flooded for the rest of the week, water will be standing probably into Saturday and the MUD won't dry up until next week, IF it doesn't rain anymore this week.

It's still thundering and pouring down heavy rains right now.

( How ya like my wiring? :rolleyes: )

I took those earlier during a lul in the rain. Right now though, it's a frog strangler in progress..

In other news, that 1.2m dish I aimed at 129w for my Dish HD channels, it's pulling through like a champ in this very heavy rain! :D
Rain fade? What's that? :D

It does look both depressing and "scary" when you consider basements, foundations, etc, etc....Love the dish farm, however. Did I miss a story somewhere on this board as to the choice/purpose of the cinder block on the BUD? You appear to work very hard to get what you want out of your dishes! (or is that some optical illusion)...

It does look both depressing and "scary" when you consider basements, foundations, etc, etc....Love the dish farm, however. Did I miss a story somewhere on this board as to the choice/purpose of the cinder block on the BUD? You appear to work very hard to get what you want out of your dishes! (or is that some optical illusion)...

Basements? HA!! Not in SE Texas! Not unless you want to have an underground swimming pool!

Basements don't exist down here, at all. The water table is just below the surface. If you dig a hole 2 feet deep, it will fill up with water.
When I planted a few dish poles myself, I found out that you don't dig the hole then leave it overnight. It filled up and I had to bail it out the next day.
So now I know, dig the hole and plant the pole right away!

As for foundations, the wet ground is good. Last summer during that exceptional drought we had, tens of thousands of people's slabs were breaking and really badly at that..
Millions of dollars in broken slabs last year.. People normally want to water the ground around their house but we had water rationing so that wasn't possible though I'm sure people did it anyway.
I saw on the news they were going to monitor people's water bills to bust those using more water than they should. :eek: Big Brother is in your water meter baby!

As to the cinder block, that was to counter a few days of really ferocious winds. The wind was whipping the dish back and forth so I hung the weight on to try and counter it.
It seemed to make a big difference.. http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-shack/280226-i-hate-my-local-ota-metv.html#post2813614

Hard work? Oh yeah.. Definitely hard work! And several frustrating years to learn what I'm doing!

:)

stanleyjohn said:
If this present weather pattern stays this is going to be a very bad spring and summer for violent weather

Very much agreed.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using SatelliteGuys App

Basements? HA!! Not in SE Texas! Not unless you want to have an underground swimming pool!

Basements don't exist down here, at all. The water table is just below the surface. If you dig a hole 2 feet deep, it will fill up with water.
When I planted a few dish poles myself, I found out that you don't dig the hole then leave it overnight. It filled up and I had to bail it out the next day. So now I know, dig the hole and plant the pole right away!

As for foundations, the wet ground is good. Last summer during that exceptional drought we had, tens of thousands of people's slabs were breaking and really badly at that..
Millions of dollars in broken slabs last year.. People normally want to water the ground around their house but we had water rationing so that wasn't possible though I'm sure people did it anyway.
I saw on the news they were going to monitor people's water bills to bust those using more water than they should. :eek: Big Brother is in your water meter baby! Hard work? Oh yeah.. Definitely hard work! And several frustrating years to learn what I'm doing!
:)

Wow! I never gave any thought to differences in geography and the construction of homes and buildings!! (with regard to basements anyway.) That's why I do radio and not construction! Upper midwest? We've got basements......but as I think of it, a buddy of mine who moved to Texas in the 80's has had 2 houses I visited and neither had basements. Interesting how there are things that we don't think about, or accept as "the norm" because of our surroundings which would NOT be normal as you cross the U.S. Geography!

You must have done a great job of planting the poles for the dishes, based on that info on the wet ground, too! If they're holding, you've done better than some people do in less-wet areas!

Stay dry! Thanks for the post reply!

Looks Like a pattern change at least here in the eastern US starting soon! Today was most likely the warmest day in the present weather pattern and temps will slowly start dropping alittle each day till we get norm to maybe below norm temps by early next week.Got things blooming around here way to early so hope they can take some possible hard freezes by mid next week.

Not here. We have had between 4 and 11 inches of rain this week across central to eastern Oklahoma, which has kept the temps close to normal around 50, but the forecasts are going right back to upper 70's to mid 80's starting Saturday thru the end of next week. The only good thing is that for the first time in almost 2 years about 90 % of Oklahoma is no longer in drought conditions.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)