Odd, very odd ASC-1 operation.......

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Not meaning to highjack a thread but when I downloaded the 2-27 update ( just to have as a backup) the release notes only showed up to version 2-10.

Power cycling between: YES
I have been using the PC with RS232 connection and version 1.6 of editor. Still will not connect.
In device manager, ports, advanced baud setting: There is no 56,000 setting in my Dell desktop or the IBM desk top. It goes in the list from 38,400 to 57,600. That the problem???
Frustration is getting blasted 232 connection to work.:(
Well, one thing that IS working: The dam snow is melting in my yard.....

Keep your PC serial control driver port settings to default 9600 and the loader to auto set the speed to 56000.

56000bps only needs to be manually set in the RS232 test program as shown in the example photo. Is the test reporting back repeating 303030.... when sending hex text "45"?

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

Keep your PC serial control driver port settings to default 9600 and the loader to auto set the speed to 56000.

56000bps only needs to be manually set in the RS232 test program as shown in the example photo. Is the test reporting back repeating 303030.... when sending hex text "45"?

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite
Yes, tried that also. PC set to 9600 and loader to speed 56000.
Test program: Error, not found or no connection.

Best that you call when you have a chance. The ASC1 loader software has no manual speed settings, so not sure what is being set to 56000. I am not a PC expert, but we need to establish a path to the serial port and this is not happening, yet.

A response from the RS232 test program of not connecting indicates no path is established to the serial connection in the PC. If there was a connection to the port, either the return would be repeating 303030..... showing return data from the ASC1 or blank if the ASC1 was connected, but not responding.

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

I had a real problem getting the USB to RS232 going on my computer. The device is loaded in two parts. First is the USB Serial Port, after that installs then the USB serial converter is installed. Windows preferred it's own driver for this second part and when I forced it to use the driver that was supplied with the unit all was good. Look at this PDF for a little more insight into what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• Windows 7.0 Installation_Guide-updateq.pdf
    1,013.3 KB · Views: 138
Update: Neither the RS232 test program software or the ASC1 loader software will recognize the PCs serial port. The port never initializes. RT-Cat is shipping the ASC1 in and I will bench test and load the latest firmware. Once the ASC1 is verified operational and running with latest firmware, we can figure out the PC serial issues.

One thing at a time..... Decided the best thing to do right now is to verify correct operation of the ASC1, update firmware and get RT-Cat enjoying his system!

Well, the problem with mine doesn't seem to have been the switch after all. I loaded the latest firmware and hooked it back up to the MicroHD, which had been working fine for a few days with the Vbox. The ASC1 was working absolutely great and better with the new firmware until, same as last time, I programmed in the last few sats again and then everything went out the window. Only this time with the new firmware it would still move automatically to sats with no hangup when selected from the receiver.

Moved to a sat position and no reception, tried another, nothing. Tried to manually move it from the remote and front buttons on the ASC1, the remote plus front panel buttons were locked out it seemed, wouldn't move from either of them.

Hooked the Vbox back up and the count was off by 100 counts or so for each sat. Adjusted for that and everthing's been working fine with the Vbox for a few days now. This is what the ASC1 did before, except this time it still moved to all the sats without hanging up.

Hooked the ASC1 up and did a global reset, programmed in a few sats and it seemed to be working fine. Hooked the Vbox back up, because right now I'm not gonna mess with the ASC1, I have too many other things to do right now, but I am going to try setting it up again soon and I'll document things a lot better, I.E., how many sats are programmed, which one it messes up on, etc.

Well, the problem with mine doesn't seem to have been the switch after all. I loaded the latest firmware and hooked it back up to the MicroHD, which had been working fine for a few days with the Vbox. The ASC1 was working absolutely great and better with the new firmware until, same as last time, I programmed in the last few sats again and then everything went out the window. Only this time with the new firmware it would still move automatically to sats with no hangup when selected from the receiver.

Moved to a sat position and no reception, tried another, nothing. Tried to manually move it from the remote and front buttons on the ASC1, the remote plus front panel buttons were locked out it seemed, wouldn't move from either of them.

Hooked the Vbox back up and the count was off by 100 counts or so for each sat. Adjusted for that and everthing's been working fine with the Vbox for a few days now. This is what the ASC1 did before, except this time it still moved to all the sats without hanging up.

Hooked the ASC1 up and did a global reset, programmed in a few sats and it seemed to be working fine. Hooked the Vbox back up, because right now I'm not gonna mess with the ASC1, I have too many other things to do right now, but I am going to try setting it up again soon and I'll document things a lot better, I.E., how many sats are programmed, which one it messes up on, etc.

What kind of sensor cable do you have going out to your actuator motor on your dish? Perhaps the ASC-1 is more sensitive to induction noise that the cable is picking up causing miscounts? If the cable you use has a spare wire left on it, try grounding it on one end. Maybe it'll help as an easy solution.

What kind of sensor cable do you have going out to your actuator motor on your dish? Perhaps the ASC-1 is more sensitive to induction noise that the cable is picking up causing miscounts? If the cable you use has a spare wire left on it, try grounding it on one end. Maybe it'll help as an easy solution.

I'll try that when I hook it back up. The cable does have a spare wire that I can use for that. thanks, Primestar. The cable is what came with my RS C dish, has two coax, three wires for the motor and three for the servo. I'm using my ortho, so I can use one of the servo wires for a ground.

Only ground a drain wire that is adjoined to a shield. Only connect on one end or the other. Not both.

Document the programming sequence so we have something to go on. There are many directions that we could explore and dozens of variables with the description.

I have programmed all 99 positions with many receivers including the microHD. There are no known issues with current firmware or incompatibilities with the microHD loaded with recent firmware (January or June 2013).

What version ASC1 firmware is loaded?

Perform a Global Reset after loading new firmware?

Using the STB program or loading a Satellite List to the ASC1?

Is a specific position number being saved when problem occurs?

Is it possible that DiSEqC 1.2 resync option was selected on the STB?

Did any unusual characters display on the ASC1 LCD? If so, when?

Was the count display immediately out of sync after programming a position or was it incorrect after power cycling?

How many DiSEqC 1.2 positions does the STB firmware support? 99?

Did the count increase/decrease when the STB moved the actuator (front panel EAST/WEST disabled)?

What menu line was selected when the EAST/WEST buttons were unresponsive?

Thanks!

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts