OFFICAL: I am STAYING with DISH Network thread

I have been with DISH for 8 years, once when I have had a problem they had a tech out the next morning. They have never charged me a dime, even after my 722 and 211 got ZAPPED by lightning, and I DO NOT have their additional coverage for repairs. I can watch SOA online the next day without commericals, so I'm staying with them!
Sounds great. Quick question. Do you have the protection plan or did they come anyway? Looking to see if the protection plan is worth the money.

Sometimes you have to make a stand. Read and be informed that Fox is creating havoc with all the carriers! A 50-100% increase in carriage rates? That is pure Blackmail!! All the complainers in here have definintely not been with Dish for a long time. Dish has always treated everyone fair--I should know, I have been with them since 1995 when I installed my setup with a compass from a crackerjack box!!! Read and learn about the issue---dont be a sunshine patriout!

For the protection plan, I don't have it and they have always comped things to me (shipping on defective receivers, numerous times). I have never needed a truck roll, because I wired up my own stuff. The only time they came was to put up my 1K2, when I upgraded to HD. I have had to replace the LNB on that Dish one time, which I did on my own (partly because I am a mover).

I wouldn't get it. You can add it if something really bad happens and keep it a few months.

Sometimes you have to make a stand. Read and be informed that Fox is creating havoc with all the carriers! A 50-100% increase in carriage rates? That is pure Blackmail!! All the complainers in here have definintely not been with Dish for a long time. Dish has always treated everyone fair--I should know, I have been with them since 1995 when I installed my setup with a compass from a crackerjack box!!! Read and learn about the issue---dont be a sunshine patriout!

I totally agree.The question I have is who are all these people signing up with Dish Network?.:confused:;):D

Sounds great. Quick question. Do you have the protection plan or did they come anyway? Looking to see if the protection plan is worth the money.

I DO NOT have the protection plan, haven't needed it. Like I said, I have had to have a replacement for my 722 and 211, didn't cost me a dime. They came out to realign my dish and didn't cost me a thing.

I have OTA so losing FOX on Dish is not a bog deal, and honestly I stay with Dish becasue I am gradfathered in to HD only package and I find I watch less and less "shows" being broadcast and more and more Roku and Netflix and since it looks like Roku will have Hulu Plus soon I see my dependance on Dish or any other provider to be less and less. I beleive the FCC shodul mandate that boradcast channels be MUST CARRY with NO FEES, of Dish and Fox want to argue over everthing else so be it.

4 recordings at a time with one box (722K). PLUS, I have ALWAYS gotten nothing but the BEST customer service, time after time, never paid and extra penny for it. And most recently, just asked for 3 mos HBO/Showtime...done! Not going anywhere. And the recent channel drops don't bother me at all...especially since they are TEMPORARY!!!

4 recording at 1 time? is the available HD space larger too than the VIP722 or VIP 612? Is this a 2 TV box or just a single DVR? Would dish upgrade me for free from a VIP612 or VIP722? Thanks

IIRC, the 622 and 612's have a 320GB disk, while the 722 and 722k have a 500GB disk. The 922 has a 1TB disk.

The 722K with an OTA module can record 4 things (2 Sat/2 OTA). I use that throughout the Fall/Spring TV Schedule. I have openly stated many times that I think the 722K is the best DVR Dish has ever released. That box with a Google TV enabled Television would make for a great setup.

Many folks don't know this, but even though you can add OTA to Directv via the AM21, it doesn't increase your available tuners for recording. You can still only do 2 programs. That is very limiting to me.

Personally, I think a 4 Tuner DVR (4 Satellite tuners) would be the perfect base for a true whole home DVR. One 4 Tuner box to record and then every other TV could have a box for Live and viewing of DVR material (plus the ability to add timers to the 4 tuner box). Better yet, Dish could write an app for all of these TV's & Boxes (Google, Vizio, Roku, etc..) that gave them access to the 4 Tuner DVR box. Eventually.

I am brand new to this forum and I don't know if this is the right thread for my questions but here goes. If it needs to go elsewhere to get the correct amswers, let me know.

I am a current customer of DTV, Direct TV.

I am wanting to upgrade to HD.

I have 4 basic starter questions:

First I need to know is Dish is better than DTV and why?

Then I need to get rid of my DTV equipment. I hear that they will charge you for equipment not returned. They will arbitrarily charge your credit card and make a big stink if you don't pay it. I have a receiver missing. It's an old one at least 5 years old. Will DTV try to charge me for that missing receiver?

I don't need any installation. I can handle it all myself just like i did with my current installation so where can I get the best deal on new equipment?

Is there any place I can sign up at and get maximum rebates or discounts for signing up?

Dish (E*) and DTV (D*) have their own strengths and weaknesses. If you crave sports, stick with D*. E* has a few channele that D* does not. There is a comparison listing on the site somewhere. I have no idea whethewr you'll get charged for a missing receiver. I think it depends on which one it is. Only D* knows for sure whether it will charge for it, so ask them. Try Dishstore.net for the best deal to sign up with E*. They have a rebate in addition to the usual sign up deals for new subs. There isn't a real advantage to owning hardware and doing it yourself with E*. They charge a fee for additional receivers beyond the first regardless of whether you own it or lease it. If you want more than two receivers there may be a price advantage in buying the third one and not paying the price to E*. The first receiver is included in the programming fee. You likely won't get any new subscriber deals unless you commit to a 2-year contract. If you do, the antenna and installation is part of the deal.

Dish (E*) and DTV (D*) have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks for the response. I am not really interested in sports.

I was thinking of buying my own equipment slightly used to save money and to avoid haveing to retun receivers or pay an exorbitant price. Even if it is only the second or third ones.

I was wondering if a dealer that is being paid to install the system would pay it back as a rebate.

A further question is do I need a new dish or LNB?

Do I need two dishes?

I have D* now.

Thanks for the response. I am not really interested in sports.

I was thinking of buying my own equipment slightly used to save money and to avoid haveing to retun receivers or pay an exorbitant price. Even if it is only the second or third ones.

I was wondering if a dealer that is being paid to install the system would pay it back as a rebate.

A further question is do I need a new dish or LNB?

Do I need two dishes?

I have D* now.

BTW....Welcome!! :)
If you are going to get rid of Direct, then yes, Dish will install a new dish with their own LNBs.
You will need only one dish.

I was thinking of buying my own equipment slightly used to save money and to avoid haveing to retun receivers or pay an exorbitant price.

I have D* now.
That's never worked for me with D*. They've tried to charge me for not returning my owned equipment on many occasions over the years. It's taken many hours over the phone to straighten out their messes. I don't know if Dish purposely tries to cheat you like D*, but I'm not taking any chances. D* will lie to you on the phone and say you owe nothing and then surprise you with thousands in bogus ETF's and non-return fees. Best of luck to you when you cancel D*. Watch your bill very carefully.

There is no advantage to owning. You will save money with the free install. If you are bound and determined to DIY, with shipping, you can get a Dish for around $100. Receivers will vary depending on your needs.