Official 4DTV Conversion to W5/X4 services only infornmation post

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Its my 905 and I'll play with it all I want!:D Just kidding. What about HBO and Max? Heard anything?

I'm just trying to help. No one has to follow mine or Davage's advice. But don't cry when all is said and done and it's a brick. We are part of the test program and know what's going to happen with the 7 step process. Davage and I have fought hard to get around this bricking of our receivers. Were only looking out for your best interest.

I know about the HBO thing but not sure if I can say yet or not. I hate being tight lipped but I have to follow the wishes of our big honcho leaders ;). If I say too much it could backfire on us what were trying to get done for a new improved C band in 2011.

What I will say is the 4DTV's will work without bricking. I hope that's enough for most out there now. You can't do anything till 1/5 anyway so whats the rush :confused:

Thanks for all the info. I'm in no hurry to do anything really just wanted to let 905 users know that the conversion will be a little different for them. If my 905 turns into a brick I'll try not to cry, but I'm not making any promises.;)

The 905 is a good little receiver. You could turn it into a 410 if you want but I would leave it as is. The 905 is really the best receiver if you want to tinker with the generics, better than a 922 or 920 :) I don't want to see people upset if they don't have to be. :)

Yes, I intend to keep my 905 as is since its authorized for G1 right now. Provided the 410 that's on its way is OK.
If not then there's the GI 922 also authorized for the current stream.

Gotta keep several irons in the fire for this cattle drive, er, roundup.:D

Last edited:
On January 5, I am going to put my own 922 at risk and follow a different set of steps for changing my 4DTV unit into a Comcast unit. I appreciate the hard efforts that Motorola/Skyvision/SRL have done for our industry to keep C-Band subscription alive, but I'm just not pleased with the idea of turning my 4DTV unit into a glorified cable box. Some of the guys in the industry have been doing some testing, pulling in favors, etc to develop an alternate plan. After digesting the results of the alternate plan testing that was done, I'm quite confident that I'll be able to subscribe to the W5/X4 channels while maintaining my full set of tiles, including generics. On January 5, I will list on SatelliteGuys step by step what steps I personally did. The final test can only be done after the 4096 EMM provider is gone from the stream on January 5. So, before I make a fool out of myself, or put anybody else's receivers at risk, I am going to do the conversion on my own receiver first. After it works then, I'll share the method with the world :)

On January 5, I am going to put my own 922 at risk and follow a different set of steps for changing my 4DTV unit into a Comcast unit. I appreciate the hard efforts that Motorola/Skyvision/SRL have done for our industry to keep C-Band subscription alive, but I'm just not pleased with the idea of turning my 4DTV unit into a glorified cable box. Some of the guys in the industry have been doing some testing, pulling in favors, etc to develop an alternate plan. After digesting the results of the alternate plan testing that was done, I'm quite confident that I'll be able to subscribe to the W5/X4 channels while maintaining my full set of tiles, including generics. On January 5, I will list on SatelliteGuys step by step what steps I personally did. The final test can only be done after the 4096 EMM provider is gone from the stream on January 5. So, before I make a fool out of myself, or put anybody else's receivers at risk, I am going to do the conversion on my own receiver first. After it works then, I'll share the method with the world :)

Good luck. And :angel: "May The Force Be With You":angel:

PS: Thanks for your potential sacrifice. Hopefully it won't be

At Risk? ;) Piece of cake :)

But in all honesty until the 4096 EMM goes away we have only been simulating the condition. I see it actually being easier without 4096 in place.

My theory is the DC2 don't care who (which EMM provider) authorizes it but it needs a provider to work in subscription mode. Otherwise it sits there dumb only working on ZK or FP. I would bet if I could get my UID number in the EMM stream of a commercial only mux like Disney I could get authorized for that service. The problem is the DC2 only accepts one EMM provider at a time. Motorola's SAC used a global EMM for all the masters we could get and would add or take this away as the provider requested. Comcast's SAC only has access to their channels W5, SES-1, W1 and GB. Could Comcast's SAC add the masters back? In theory yes, in reality fat chance in hell :(

I wish I had Bill Gates money. I would buy the Motorola consumer SAC and call it the TvroPro SAC. I would greenmail the providers to get all the masters back like in VC2 days, and sell them all again. Next a new receiver would come out. Then I would buy out Dish Network and give c band all the subs back Charlie stole from us. Fun to dream :yes

Last edited:
Sneak Preview :eek:

If you don't have X4's new map programmed in go get it now. This can be done by going to W5-600 and sitting there for a bit. You will see an increase in channel count. Then program it in at W5's position. The tile will sit left of W5. (see pictures) When done check the DMX channels and make sure they are working. There are more steps but they can't be released yet.

This needs to be in your receiver for next year for the conversion so go get it if its not in your 4D.

I am on W5 600. Isn't the DCII suppose to be lit? I didn't get X4 at all. I left it on W5 600 for awhile. I tried unplugging it and turning it on. Still no results.

I am on W5 600. Isn't the DCII suppose to be lit? I didn't get X4 at all. I left it on W5 600 for awhile. I tried unplugging it and turning it on. Still no results.

If you have no DC2 light on W5 600 something else is going on. Do you have any DC lock on W5? If yes see if it's only getting one polarity or the other. On my 922 X4 will pop in it's right place within seconds of being on any W5 channel. The 920's may need a soft reboot on W5.

Can someone scan and PM me the letter? We don't get home delivered mail way out here and I only drive the 5 miles to my PO BOX twice a week.

If you have no DC2 light on W5 600 something else is going on. Do you have any DC lock on W5? If yes see if it's only getting one polarity or the other. On my 922 X4 will pop in it's right place within seconds of being on any W5 channel. The 920's may need a soft reboot on W5.

FYI, my 920 needed the soft reboot to reconfigure the X4 tile for C-band.

FYI, my 920 needed the soft reboot to reconfigure the X4 tile for C-band.

What channel did you leave your 920 on when you did your soft reboot. I have a 920, but don't get very many channels on W5 right now. I was thinking G4TV or XDisney would be my best bets.

Ross

Went to check my mail today, nothing from SRL. Are they only sending them out to certain customers for now?

No one has scanned and sent me a copy yet, so if anyone is willing please do. Thanks.

Went to check my mail today, nothing from SRL. Are they only sending them out to certain customers for now?

No one has scanned and sent me a copy yet, so if anyone is willing please do. Thanks.

I didn't get one in the mail yet either. I have a advance copy and would post it but I think it would cause confusion with what were trying to achieve (no bricks). I can tell you that a MR is involved and remapping on W5 plus a hidden command that will brick the 4D. If you get a copy don't mess around with that hidden command that's a killer :eek:

You guys that sell the c/ku band kits for the small dishes needs to come up with a kit for the w5/x4 services maybe this will get more people interested in subscribing to these services. I currently use my 4dtv and big dish and wish to stay with it till the end . hope there is plenty of peeps around to keep it goin:) I realize they are some that cant have a big dish but may not know that they can also get c band on a small dish.

Sneak Preview :eek:

If you don't have X4's new map programmed in go get it now. This can be done by going to W5-600 and sitting there for a bit. You will see an increase in channel count. Then program it in at W5's position. The tile will sit left of W5. (see pictures) When done check the DMX channels and make sure they are working. There are more steps but they can't be released yet.

This needs to be in your receiver for next year for the conversion so go get it if its not in your 4D.

I have found something interesting, If you start from G1 and look for X4, you may see it located between G4 and W4. If you see it there, it is actually the old Ku Band X4 and not the C Band X4 at the W5 location. In that case, you need to go to W5 first and then you will see X4 located to the left of W5 as it should be. This may only happen if you had originally programmed in the Ku X4 sometime in the past-not sure about that.

I have found something interesting, If you start from G1 and look for X4, you may see it located between G4 and W4. If you see it there, it is actually the old Ku Band X4 and not the C Band X4 at the W5 location. In that case, you need to go to W5 first and then you will see X4 located to the left of W5 as it should be. This may only happen if you had originally programmed in the Ku X4 sometime in the past-not sure about that.

It does that in my receiver too. I did have X4 ku in there before. I think it has to do with the laziness of Motorola to use a tile that had the channels mapped in before and just change the parameters to c band. G1 (the Motorola maps) still have the old ku info. W5 has the C band info. Since the G1 maps are history in a few weeks there is no sense to update them.

It does that in my receiver too. I did have X4 ku in there before. I think it has to do with the laziness of Motorola to use a tile that had the channels mapped in before and just change the parameters to c band. G1 (the Motorola maps) still have the old ku info. W5 has the C band info. Since the G1 maps are history in a few weeks there is no sense to update them.
I don't think that it makes any difference if Ku X4 has been programmed in or not. I removed the Ku X4 and then programmed it again from W5-made no difference. I found that X4 is still programmed at the W5 location even though the satellite select screen makes it appear to have moved back to the old Ku position. The receiver just thinks that it is a Ku Sat and you will not see any programming on X4 if you go directly there from G1. The solution seems to be to go to W5 first and then X4 and everything is OK. As you say, I think that the problem will disappear once the Motorola maps stop.

My thoughts are this: My 922 is used mainly for moving the BUD for FTA. The second reason is the wonderful clock on the 922. The College Bowl Season is rapidly approaching and that is it when gets the most use up here, in the frozen tundra of Canada. I had a sub with evil NPS for many, many years, however that was just a "bonus" of the C-band dish/922 combo. I hate to see C-band come to a close like this. I have had my dish since 1982 - before thre was any encryption.

Whether I get a sub or not with Skyvision/SRL (and even if they would sell to Canadians..??) is not near as important than the dish-moving capabilities of the 922. I think most of you die-hards would share this sediment (I know that TVPRO does). I have updated the maps on X4 and then removed X4 from the lineup. I am now sitting on G5/3 (ShopNBC) right now and have been for the last several days.

My question is this: Is this satisfactory for retaining the maps until the “dust” clears sometime after the 4 of January..? While I am “scanning the skies” in search of some Bowl games, I don’t want to accidentally download anything else. X4 has been removed and I have set W5 to transponder 1 with no DC light on it. I hope that I am safe...

P.S. Does X4 send out EMM's like W5 - or just W5..?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)