Okay, Can We Just Use NFL Network's Red Zone?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dalyew

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 16, 2012
Coral Springs, Florida
Not sure if others have noticed this before but I'm new to Direct's Red Zone channel; but they miss a few red zone plays & even touchdowns. I'm not talking about your 40-90 yard runs but some that develop from the 20 yard line.

Case in point, today's Steelers Patriots game..... after thinking the Patriots scored they cut away to another game that was at midfield. After a few minutes they cut back to the Patriots game only to tell us the call was overturned & we missed a down & barely caught the failed 4th down attempt on the Steelers 1 yard line. On top of that they missed the Patriots TD on a resulting Steelers turnover, & that's also after only showing a replay of the Steelers turnover on a 3rd down play on their own 2. You'd think they'd stay with the play since the Steelers got back the ball on downs at their one.

The NFL Network Red Zone channel probably deploys more resources for their coverage but comparing them you'd think it was Directv trying to copy them & not vice versa which is the case. The coverage on NFL Network's Red Zone channel seems so much more intuitive & polished over Direct's. I know both use the delayed replay to make it look like we're watching live, but missing plays all together seems to be happening more on Direct's than I can remember on NFL's. I know NFL's would drive you crazy with up to 4 split screens (up to last season), but I'd rather squint to see the play than miss it all together. .....ok, end of rant....... just one, I know, ridiculous request. .... can we get NFL Redzone Channel for us who can do without the ST package? ....yeah, I know.....

Not sure if others have noticed this before but I'm new to Direct's Red Zone channel; but they miss a few red zone plays & even touchdowns. I'm not talking about your 40-90 yard runs but some that develop from the 20 yard line.

Case in point, today's Steelers Patriots game..... after thinking the Patriots scored they cut away to another game that was at midfield. After a few minutes they cut back to the Patriots game only to tell us the call was overturned & we missed a down & barely caught the failed 4th down attempt on the Steelers 1 yard line. On top of that they missed the Patriots TD on a resulting Steelers turnover, & that's also after only showing a replay of the Steelers turnover on a 3rd down play on their own 2. You'd think they'd stay with the play since the Steelers got back the ball on downs at their one.

The NFL Network Red Zone channel probably deploys more resources for their coverage but comparing them you'd think it was Directv trying to copy them & not vice versa which is the case. The coverage on NFL Network's Red Zone channel seems so much more intuitive & polished over Direct's. I know both use the delayed replay to make it look like we're watching live, but missing plays all together seems to be happening more on Direct's than I can remember on NFL's. I know NFL's would drive you crazy with up to 4 split screens (up to last season), but I'd rather squint to see the play than miss it all together. .....ok, end of rant....... just one, I know, ridiculous request. .... can we get NFL Redzone Channel for us who can do without the ST package? ....yeah, I know.....

Simple solution, get the Sunday Ticket so you can WATCH the WHOLE game ...

I would HATE to have to rely on the red zone channel to follow MY TEAM.

If your watching the NFL Channels version already, why are you asking for it ?

If your watching the ST rz channel, how can you watch the NFL Network version at the same time to know that one is not covered all the time ?

Simple solution, get the Sunday Ticket so you can WATCH the WHOLE game ...

I would HATE to have to rely on the red zone channel to follow MY TEAM.

If your watching the NFL Channels version already, why are you asking for it ?

If your watching the ST rz channel, how can you watch the NFL Network version at the same time to know that one is not covered all the time ?

I do have ST now. I'm comparing to when I had NFL Network's Red Zone in the previous seasons when I wasn't with Direct. I do get to watch my home team on my locals but I like watching the rest of the league via Red Zone. Very common viewing practice for fans who don't have Directv. In fact, I wouldn't have ST if DirecTV would offer Red Zone channel on it's own. I took it because it was free but doubt I'll keep it next season, especially if I can find a way to get Red Zone channel, either Direct's or NFL Network's, but of course I would prefer NFL'S.

The only reason the NFL version is better is because of Scott Hanson. He is a much better host than the guy Directv uses. I have it over on Dish and the funny thing is that at the end credits it says copyright Directv/NFL. That's the first year I remember it saying that on the NFL version.

I think the real question here should be if you have ST, why in the world are you watching the Red Zone Channel?

I think the real question here should be if you have ST, why in the world are you watching the Red Zone Channel?

I watch my team on one TV and the RedZone on another TV, football heaven! Also if my team isn't on I watch the RZ, why watch one game when you can see them all.

I have Dish but I love Redzone. It's perfect for fantasy football nuts. Even if I had Directv and ST I would be watching Redzone over any individual game besides my home team. I get my Lions on local networks and keep Redzone in PiP. I keep the Lions on the big screen most of the time and then swap during commercials. When the Lions aren't on I just leave it on Redzone.

The only reason the NFL version is better is because of Scott Hanson. He is a much better host than the guy Directv uses. I have it over on Dish and the funny thing is that at the end credits it says copyright Directv/NFL. That's the first year I remember it saying that on the NFL version.

From day one I saw that D*'s RZ host wasn't as good as Hanson but could live with that, but after 8 or so weeks of watching I now realize the host makes a big difference. I always felt like NFL Network's RZ was like a friend controlling the remote & switching channels & choosing the games at the right time. Now it feels like another friend has the remote but is not as good or intuitive. Not doing a bad job, but makes you pine for your old friend :).

I watch my team on one TV and the RedZone on another TV, football heaven! Also if my team isn't on I watch the RZ, why watch one game when you can see them all.

Ditto!

I think some fans are just into their team but I'm a fan of the league. The question should be "If you have Red Zone channel, why in the hell you need ST?". That's why Directv would never offer it outside of ST, they know they'd see a significant number of subscribers dropping ST for just Red Zone.

Of course if you are out of your home team market ST is essential but for those of us who are getting our team on the locals & also interested in the other games, RZ is a must. Nothing beats being able to see the last 5 minutes of those games coming down to the wire.

Direct not offering RZ as a standalone channel will almost certainly send me back to Dish next August when my contract is up.

Ditto!

I think some fans are just into their team but I'm a fan of the league. The question should be "If you have Red Zone channel, why in the hell you need ST?". That's why Directv would never offer it outside of ST, they know they'd see a significant number of subscribers dropping ST for just Red Zone.

Of course if you are out of your home team market ST is essential but for those of us who are getting our team on the locals & also interested in the other games, RZ is a must. Nothing beats being able to see the last 5 minutes of those games coming down to the wire.

Those last 5 minutes are always available on most channels any ways if the game is close.

My MAIN team is one I cannot get without the ST.
IF I had to watch MY Team on the RZ channel, I would give up football (after watching for the last 45 years, I don't see that happening). They don't show MY Team on the RZ channel, they show highlights on the RZ channel, if I want to watch Highlights, I'll watch espn or cbs or fox for highlights.

YOu can get RZ channel on D* if you inquire, many have done it.

But not everybody's successful without pulling and arm and leg for the Sunday Ticket, I admit they should add it for the sports pack, If or when they negotiate for a extended deal they should mention standalone RZ either Directv or NFL RZ.

But not everybody's successful without pulling and arm and leg for the Sunday Ticket, I admit they should add it for the sports pack, If or when they negotiate for a extended deal they should mention standalone RZ either Directv or NFL RZ.

I think if they offered RZ Channel separate, they would lose ST viewers to a certain degree, they would gain RZ subs, but lose the ST viewer thus lose money.
Then again, if it ever comes to where they can offer particular teams vs hte whole package, you'll see a whole other avenue for NFL viewers.

It depends on viewing options. In my opinion, which I've stated many times in the DISH Forum, is that ST is a waste for me. I live in my home team's market, thus I get the games on my local affiliates. ST, unlike CI, LP, or EI, is on only one day a week. Every game is on at one out of two time slots. The only time I get to watch more than one game at a time is to either PIP or have two TVs set up. Add the fact that it is the most expensive of the four out of market packages. For me, $9 to $10 for RZ is much more valuable and equitable over ST. But that's me and my situation. If l lived out of the Boston DMA, I would be singing a different tune.

Last edited:
The difference is that they show those highlights as they happen and a lot of them are live. I never miss my teams games, not ever. But when they'e not playing RZ is great.

It depends on viewing options. In my opinion, which I've stated many times in the DISH Forum, is that ST is a waste for me. I live in my home team's market, thus I get the games on my local affiliates. ST, unlike CI, LP, or EI, is on only one day a week. Every game is on at one out of two time slots. The only time I get to watch more than one game at a time is to either PIP or have two TVs set up. Add the fact that it is the most expensive of the four out of market packages. For me, $9 to $10 for RZ is much more valuable and equitable over ST. But that's me and my situation. If l lived out of the Boston DMA, I would be singing a different tune.

Totally agree but I guess that's because you & I are in our home team's market. I do like ST but I think it's way overpriced when you compare it to packages like NBA LP where you get games almost every night for 7 months at two thirds of the price. I'm hoping that Direct will start to offer RZ as a separate channel to non ST subscribers in the future, if not I'm hoping they'll lose ST to another bidder & will be forced to offer NFL Network's RZ channel, but that would be selfish of me :).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)