OMG Becky, look at her BUD, it's soooo big....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Nov-01

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
SC
sorry for the title thread, poor sense of humor....but was what I was thinking while standing there taking pics....

Is this worth taking down and dragging home? no cost.

bird1.jpg

bird2.jpg

bird3.jpg

Attachments

• bird1.jpg
    bird1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 250
did I post the pics the wrong way for typical forum protocol?

If you have a place for it, get it. What is it, a 16ft? OMG it's a hand crank. ( :drool :-\ ) Good prospect for a counter weight.

That looks like poison ivy wrapped around the pole. Also if that's fiberglass, it's probably going to be very heavy. But, it appears it could be a good start if you don't have one now.

My best guess is it'll need a 36 inch actuator instead of the more normal 24 inch. You'll probably have to take rust off the mount, and grease or oil bearing areas. I would NOT under any circumstances unbolt the individual petals on a fiberglass dish that old! Find some way to move it whole. Maybe stood up on a trailer?

Yes if you don't have one take it. I agree with PS though, I would try to move it whole if possible. Taking apart a fiberglass can be bad. If you have to I would try to make a one day project out of it. Already have another pole concreted and ready to take this dish. Go take it down drive home put it up. Those petals sit too long they will warp. Not to mention trying to get the old bolts out without cracking the fiberglass. That is the worse part.

I have a free one I can take at anytime like that and I have been putting it off, because of afraid to crack the panels....I have no way to move it whole. Well a free way anyway. :)

I'd take it, if it was free. If you can get a hold of, or make, a tripod, you could set it up over it and hook a chainfall to it and unbolt the mount and then cut the pole out from underneath it and then lower it gently to the ground in one piece. Judging from the pictures, that dish looks huge and it'd have to be a tall and wide tripod, but that's what I would try, if possible.

Or, if you're lucky enough and there's a sturdy tree limb above it that a chain could be thrown over....

Do you know how big it is? Looks in decent shape still.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)