? on dish sizes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
shelly said:
I requested the 30" but Joe said that the 24" would take care of my problem and that the 30" was being tested now for 2 satellite reception.
Shelly

shelly,

this is interested and revealing :) Am I reading too much into it but is this an indication that VOOM may have another satellite in orbit from another location other than 61.5? Is that what you mean? If it is this is BIG?

Good MOrning Sean,

I think that you're just a rumor monger. :)

If Voom decided to launch a second satellite that required a 30" dish installation, they then would have to reinstall all of their current customers. ,But with such a small customer base at this time, it would not break the $$$ bank, but still be pricey.

Aren't there already two satellites in service--the Dish sat and the Rainbow sat, both near 61.5? This has always confused me or is it the same satellite but just different names for the parts that each sat service occupies?

I still don't know why I did not get a 30" dish authorized when others have? I am assuming that this is a decision made by Installs, Inc. or is it actually made by Voom itself?

Shelly

shelly said:
Good MOrning Sean,

I think that you're just a rumor monger. :)

If Voom decided to launch a second satellite that required a 30" dish installation, they then would have to reinstall all of their current customers. ,But with such a small customer base at this time, it would not break the $$$ bank, but still be pricey.

Aren't there already two satellites in service--the Dish sat and the Rainbow sat, both near 61.5? This has always confused me or is it the same satellite but just different names for the parts that each sat service occupies?

I still don't know why I did not get a 30" dish authorized when others have? I am assuming that this is a decision made by Installs, Inc. or is it actually made by Voom itself?

Shelly

Good morning, you got me all worked up about it :) Actually Rainbow 1 and Echostar are two different satellites in orbit. If you can imagine that they both sit on top of each other. They both have the capacity to use all the TPs but because of business reasons they both are only using half of their TPs to deliver programming to our Tvs.

Voom does not need to put up another satellite in orbit. There are other ways to do it (like leasing satellite space). The big question is if they do decide to upgrade everyone to 30" dish which frequency is vacant near 61.5 that has TPs available and is able to cover the USA and of course that is licensed approved by the FCC. Of course, the 30" dish will be needed for this. It is not only upgrading to the 30" dish but if you have more than one receiver, customers may need a multiswitch as well.

rang1995 said:
Has anyone SOLVED their rain-fade with a bigger dish? maybe alot will be solved with the new encoders and when Voom goes to mpeg-4

Since changing to 30" dish rain fade has not been an issue for me. Also have less pixelations and audio dropouts than before. For me it was worth the investment. I am happy with Voom. Was thinking of canceling before I changed dish as service wasn't reliable enough. Lost signal even in heavy cloud cover without rain. Not an issue now.

Glad to hear Voom is upgrading the dishes when needed. I was watching Changing Lanes tonight, and it started raining and I missed the last 20 minutes of the movie. I just called Voom to ask if they could upgrade my dish to a 30". They are supposed to call me back within 3 days about this. Fingers crossed they will upgrade me.

Has been raining here in southern TN for past 3 days. I don't have any hd channels and very few sd. I have called Voom on 3 different occasions and finally convinced them that this is unacceptable. I have a 30" dish scheduled for install this coming Sat. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will correct my problem. I lose signal even during light drizzle.

dsball said:
Interesteing news on the bigger 30" dish testing. I wonder what States/Areas this is being done?

I live in Northern Idaho (up by Canadian border), and I was installed with a 30" dish by Voom some time ago. Works really well. I have 98 signal strength even with the satellite so low in the sky. Very little or no pixalation. No rain fade. The negative is the size. But I look at it as an art sculpture (we don't have much art in Idaho).

I really wanted the 30" dish but all I could get from Installs Inc was the 24". It is on order and hopefully, will be installed within a couple of weeks.

I sure hope it works for my rain fade, or else they will have to return with the 30" dish.

Did you guys who got the 30" dish go directly through Voom or through Installs Inc?

Shelly

I put up my own 30" dish as at the time Voom was saying 18" was big enough. It cost me 40 bucks from Starke Electronics because I live close enough that I picked it up and didn't have to have it shipped. Best 40 dollars I could of spent. We had a good thunderstorm here last night and my picture froze once for about 5 seconds. Considering in a light drizzle with 18" dish I couldn't watch tv at all I am very happy with it.

Tonight I had my first significant rainfall since getting Voom on March 13th and my signal went totally out. My signal strength was around 47 where normally it's up around 90 on a clear day. I'm thinking of calling Voom and asking for a bigger dish, I'm currently using a 24" dish.

DarrellP said:
Tonight I had my first significant rainfall since getting Voom on March 13th and my signal went totally out. My signal strength was around 47 where normally it's up around 90 on a clear day. I'm thinking of calling Voom and asking for a bigger dish, I'm currently using a 24" dish.

That doesn't sound good for those with a 24" dish. :(

10M dish

owlbox said:
I'm going to 24" on Monday. If that doesn't work I'll cable up my 3 meter BUD. :))

I'd like to try the 10 meter dish at work! It has uplink capability too!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts