Please reply by conversation.

shankle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
florida
Thanks for SatelliteGuys.
Last night my OpenBox S9 froze. No amount of pushing buttons on the remote or
box did any good. So I turned it off in the back and back on. It worked for about
10 minutes then did it again. Repeated the process and again it failed in about 5 to
10 minutes. Again I repeated the process then it seemed to be OK. Will see how it
goes tonight.
The unit is about 1 1/2 years old. Use approx. 1 1/2 to 2 hours per day. Original
software. Using a surge protector. Surge protector is turned off when not in use.
Ideas, opinions would be appreciated.

What Satellite and Channel were you watching?

Thanks for responding,
watching 91 - the channel that was playing the vampires. Best I can do sorry

Hmm don't know do you watch that channel a lot. I just know that certain channels(bit rates) or HD sometimes will cause lock-ups.

I watch all the CW channels quite a bit.
You have a point though. I will try another bird and see how it goes tonight.
Thanks

I've also found that "some" channels will do strange stuff and others won't. I'm running firmware 08/30/2011 available here and it seems to work OK except for the occasional freeze on certain channels. It has a little different menu for channels/satellites also that I like better than the old one.

My S10 would freeze on certain channels with newer firmware.

Not all channels, just a few, the NBC feed on 99w C-band is one I remember freezing. I tried some older firmware suggested by carlospr43, and it hasn't froze up since.

I would suggest you try different firmware, maybe older rather than newer.

Yes don't go newer. I use 07/14/11. I tried the 08-30-11 a couple of times(just tried it again the other day) and it locks up on PBJE on 83ku and the Ion mux on 103C. Can't remember about 08-30 but also most of the new ones lock up on the new CW mux on 91 and the ABC channel on the PR mux on 99W.

Wait I take that back, should have made notes haha, IRC 08-30 had lip sync problems that bugged me, was slight but enough to bug me.

I can't wait to get my microHD!

Thanks fellows for the help.
My software came with the Openbox. I have a hands off approach to the software.
I hear your arguments but this is the 1st time my box has frozen in 1 1/2 years.
Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. Maybe hung is a better word. Turning it
off in the back was the only way I could find to get it working again.
I would venture to say my software dates before 9-2011.
Up to last night the unit was working flawlessly. Maybe it's the music playing
so loud you can't hear the dialog on 91. LOL LOL LOL

Well if you had it that long as this the the first time, I would say it was just a fluke or something is starting to go bad inside or it got to hot from being crammed in a hole in an entertainment center. Just see what happens and let us know. Yeah if that long and no firmware upgrades, and worked fine, I would not mess with it.

I'm not surprised it's worked that long, but doesn't the 'green tint' 'get to you"?
Did the picture just "FREEZE" and changing to the other CW's didn't change the picture?
If so, I have a feeling the thermister used as the LNB fuse is failing. (the power off lets it cool, but will heat back up in 10 minutes or so. This may drop the LNB voltage enough to un-select horizontal polarity. (Just as mine did.)
If this is the case, try and tune into a vertical TP/Channel, thinking those may work after a "freeze". If this is the case, check out this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/279413-fix-your-openbox-s-9-58-a.html
Classic arts is vertical polarity.
But, if the "freeze' also means the receiver doesn't respond to the remote, that's a whole different 'ball game'.

Last edited:
I forgot about the green tint problem.

Hi Fat Air,
The unit is brand new. I wasn't expecting it to fail for another 10 years LOL.
When it freezes the remote doesn't work at all. Neither do the buttons on the box.
Back switch is the only thing that helps.
So from what you say i'm about due for another box that will only last me 1 or 2 years.
I see no Green tint. Using the original software. It has been working real nice for me
up to yesterday.
Will try testing other birds tonight.

Was just on the dish for about 45 minutes and everything worked fine.
I was on 87, 58 and 805. All were clear and the sound was good.
Kind of makes me afraid to go on 91 ever again.

The music on 91 yesterday was especially loud. Very hard to hear any dialog.
Since a lot of you are having problems with 91 you would think it would be
in the interests of those running the stations to do something about
their signals.

I'm then thinking you just experienced an anomaly. Not a fatal one though.
Since the CW now scan in, maybe remove the TP from the list, reboot and rescan????
I'm here on 91 and one is just blank, while the other three have programming. Wondering "what's up" and if maybe that's got something to do with it.

Yep I re-scaned 91 last night and I ran it for an hour without a hiccup.
I think the sound was also a little better.
Hey i'll take it. You guys will have to figure out what happened LOL.

I bought a brand new Openbox S11 at Sadoun and the freezing problem started already after 15 minutes. I am pissed.

watching: IS 9/16 @58W
tried all channels but after a few minutes I have to restart.
Not fun to watch like this.

I can only tell you what I did. There are guys here way more qualified than I.
I have the Openbox s9.
I delete all but one item from the list of 91. Then I re-scan with tv only and not FTA only.
If it happens again I will repeat the process. I do not have this problem on any other
bird. Give it a try and good luck.

Maybe a Factory Reset? Remove all switches and run direct to LNBF? Then I'd give Sadoun a call to see what they say. Maybe a replacement?

my solomend/s9 would freeze up after running a year. it was a power supply problem. changed a few electrolytics in the power supply and it ran for another year. however, it died the other day again and forced me to use the azbox. thats a pain. waiting for the microhd to get up and running smoothly again. when i get in the mood i will try to fix the openbox again, charlie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts