Status
Please reply by conversation.

rodder

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 6, 2005
Adairsville,Ga 30103
I think the Openbox S9 /Solemend 800 needs its own thread like the azbox being it is right under the azbox as far as popularity where we can discuss problems and firmware and just help each other out in one section. :)

Rodder, Well there was a thread that went on forever it seemed...it was started about a year ago.I think most issues mentioned in that thread were fixed., Since they came out when I got mine, 99% of the bugs have been fixed. The North American firmware has been out there a while too..Not much else to say about it. I guess I've had mine since February or so and it works pretty good for the money invested. Doesn't do 4:2:2, otherwise pretty easy to use....Blind

I love my Openbox S9 HD receiver. In fact, I'm buying another.

I thought you were going to say "I like it so much, I bought the company!" :)

Santa just might bring me one of these for Christmas, I really could use a stand-alone HD receiver (that actually outputs the HD signal, unlike the Visionsats I'm using for HD at the moment)...

I thought you were going to say "I like it so much, I bought the company!" :)

Just think if he would or could do that...

I am sure it would mean free receivers for us at SatelliteGuys!!! :clap

He probably would change the name to "PopcornBox" too! ;)

Back to the main idea, I agree, I think the Openbox/whatevername needs it's own section.

I have only had mine for three weeks now (tomorrow) and I have been off work with this broken wrist, so I have been reading a LOT about the HD S9, and it would have been nice if I could find info in one place instead of having to search back over the past year.

There are things to learn still. I was able to answer a question for one "old timer" about testing the duration of length on recording, even though I have only had mine a short time. There are still a LOT of questions to be answered.

My .02

Photto

I'd like an Openbox/Solomend forum as well. Aside from the essential popularity of the request for such a forum, does someone have to agree to moderate it first before it can be created?

First time mine locked up tonight, I hit the switch in back & I'm back in business. I like this receiver as well and it's the least expensive one I ever brought. The HD and S2 signals and the ability to have AC-3 sound in my bedroom on my old TV is an added benefit I was not aware of. Now my electric bill might drop a bit now that I do not have to turn on the amplifier to get the AC-3 sound anymore. This unit should pay for itself in a few years with the added savings:) I hope they get the closed captioning to work?

I have had an Openbox for about 1 week now and I love it. The tuner is more sensitive than my old Pansat 3500 which was a work horse. Signal strength and quality is much higher. The menu is very easy to follow. Set up is easy. I was a bit cautious at first, but after a week it is the best receiver I have every had. Support seems to depend on where you buy it. I too would love an Openbox spot.

I agree with the need for the Openbox's own forum..I want to try to get one with my Income Tax if at all possible to replace the Fortec Star Dynamic I'm currently using..Couple questions in the meantime:

Already having a 36" dish and motor mounted, All I'd have to do is connect the receiver to the dish and run setup on the Openbox, correct?

I see there are HDMI hookups on the Openbox..If I hook this up to the HDMI on my TV (almost a year old) will I be able to receive AC3 audio? I know I have to get my own cable..

Tim, I replaced my Fortec Dynamic with the Solomend as well. Same as always you need to find a live TP on each bird etc..then lock it in..scan it and your in business. It has sensitive tuner which I like. I get stuff I never got with the Fortec. It takes a little bit to get used too, not having the signal beep like the Fortec had to line it up. There's an editor program somewhere on here i found that helped me a lot as well. I guess if you get the unit and the editor I could email you the file with all the channels i have loaded in mine. Then all the channels would just have to be loaded via usb to the receiver and your good to go. I'm not sure on the HDMI/AC3. I know it works with my 2 year old 32" Sanyo HDTV, with no problem...Blind

I see there are HDMI hookups on the Openbox..If I hook this up to the HDMI on my TV (almost a year old) will I be able to receive AC3 audio? I know I have to get my own cable..

Tim,
The OpenBox will receive standard audio, AC3 audio, and even AAC audio if you run into that. Switches modes automatically and sends to all outputs simultaneously including the HDMI. As for the HDMI cable, some of the dealers include it as a bonus. Shop around.

Tim, I notice on some of the NBC Hd stuff that you get the audio for the show and not the commercials. There is an audio button on my remote that allows you to change some settings as well. You see when you get the receiver its fairly easy to figure out. Had mine since it's infancy last in February...does a good job. The editor program I mentioned makes entering the CW network etc..a breeze...
Blind

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)