Oppo BDP-93 Discussion

Hehe, smartarse! Actually, I thought pre/pro referred to both, as a generic, but ya learn something new every day :)

Ouch, $300 more. I dont watch a lot of DVD's, that was more for the folks interested, and I agree that they'll get better. It's a nice player, I just dont have a need for it. Ive been very happy with the 85, this was more an experiment I guess.

Yeap. Not a difference in BD over HDMI. I needed the 3D. I also like what it does with NF streaming. Now if they would add VUDU, I'd be happy. I lose a lot with the 350 running through the power line adapter. Upstairs is directly wired. I also think the DECA switch eats up the bandwidth.

S~

Yeah, my biggest complaint with the 85 is I think their wireless/wired speeds are wrong, or could be better. I sometimes have problems getting HD on amazon, when I know my connection is fast enough.

I've had my Oppo 93 for about 2 months and I love it. It is my first universal player and has opened the door to SACD, DVD-A etc (I am a fan of anything by 2L.)

Beyond actually watching blurays I primarily use it for streaming my DVD collection which I recently ripped (Serviio being my DLNA server of choice.)

Overall a great machine that is built like a tank. I wasn't a fan of the remote (but I use my harmony one) and there are lots of little quirks at this time (especially dealing with streaming and external drives) but in the end it was money well spent and there are no issues that I can not work around. Oppo offers the best support in the business so I have no doubt all my minor qualms will be rectified.

If you just want to watch Bluray and stream netflix, there are equal, more affordable options. If you want the best Universal media player available on a moderate budget, the Oppo 93 is unparalleled.

teachsac- Did your X3 arrive yet? I just got word my Sony 90ES was shipped from NJ. Today, I got the Oppo BD-93 installed and it looks sweet! Hated to pull the Oppo BD83SE but hey, it ain't 3D. I was surprised to see it had Netflix on it too. Now I have three ways to watch Netflix in my home theater. I got a really good deal on both so now I have room in my budget to upgrade my AVR and I'm considering the Denon 4311ci.

Lucky You, getting Avatar. What did you have to buy to get that? I was thinking of buying the cheap Panny Blu Ray player as a gift for my daughter and keeping the Avatar 3D promo. :D

I've had my X3 for over two weeks. Waiting for teh stupid mount. Off to call my distibutor to see of it came in today.

S~

I think my PJ is being held up due to the weather in the NE.

Meanwhile, I tested the OPPO BD93 and discovered the Netflix option lacks ability to handle DD5.1. Same movie on PS3 and XBOX360 has DD5.1. Always those little gotchas hiding in these extra features. :(

I think my PJ is being held up due to the weather in the NE.

Meanwhile, I tested the OPPO BD93 and discovered the Netflix option lacks ability to handle DD5.1. Same movie on PS3 and XBOX360 has DD5.1. Always those little gotchas hiding in these extra features. :(

Right now only the PS3 (BD player) has the new interface. The new interface should be coming up pretty soon once certification is met. Even then still not a lot with 5.1. Hopefully NF will get busy.

S~

I know this is an old post, but I had to comment...

If you need that technological wizardry, buy a cheap player at walmart that fulfills that requirement. The Oppo 93 will never be bleeding edge. It will have Netflix in 5.1 in the next quarter, but honestly - if you have an Oppo 93 with the requisite sound system, why are you not watching your films on bluray?

Netflix is the youtube of cinema. It is not streaming at 30MB/s + and not in DTS-HD Master Audio on any system.

The Oppo 93 is a solidly built high quality machine that is primary meant for watching bluray movies, upscaling DVD movies and enjoying SACD/DVD-A audio.

There are a few good movies that aren't available on BD. It comes in handy. Watched an HD movie on the 110 last night in 1080p and DD+. Looked and sounded great with no artifacting.

S~

If you need that technological wizardry, buy a cheap player at walmart that fulfills that requirement. The Oppo 93 will never be bleeding edge. It will have Netflix in 5.1 in the next quarter, but honestly - if you have an Oppo 93 with the requisite sound system, why are you not watching your films on bluray?

Netflix is the youtube of cinema.

The Oppo 93 is a solidly built high quality machine that is primary meant for watching bluray movies, upscaling DVD movies and enjoying SACD/DVD-A audio.

First of all, Yes, I do have the requisite system after my full upgrade for 3D. The reason I have netflix is to have a library of movies at my fingertips for a very reasonable cost, not to expect to have something that streams competing with bluRay. But the key point you didn't understand, not sure why, is that if Netflix offers DD5.1 on some devices, then it should be offering it on all Netflix compatible devices. My post was never meant to complain that Netflix isn't BluRay quality or have BluRay disk features. Would be nice if it did but I don't expect it to.

For me, all I expect from Netflix today is to have a minimum quality similar to DVD which includes DD5.1 sound and 480P widescreen when the DVD version offers it. MY system is quite adequate at upconverting a DVD of good quality to 1080P for display to satisfy my taste but it can't do much with mono sound track regardless of which device I use to get Netflix.

For me, the OPPO BD-93 is primarily for 3D BluRay movies. Otherwise I would have been happy to just continue to use my OPPO BD-83SE. I still have it but don't find much use for it as my time is spent watching 3D BluRay these days. :)

Hello everyone,

I am enjoying my player so much.
icon_biggrin.gif
I do have some noobie questions to ask so be gentle.
redface.gif

I saw there is an option in the settings to set LPCM Rate Limit, what exactly does this do with the picture? Also with my old blu ray player I set my Component Video Resolution with 720P for the tv I have and looked amazing. Do I set it to the same on this player or possibly just auto?

The last one (right now) is what is the best settings to set the Picture Mode? I did have my tv calibrated so do I just mess with all of the settings like brightness, contrast, hue, and etc. through the player and see what works best for the picture? Thank you in advance!

Doug

1. Nothing. LPCM is for audio.

2. The actual resolution of your is more than likely not exactly 720p. Most are actually 1024X768. I would set to to 1080i or auto. Try them and see which one looks best.

3. Up to you. Since your TV is calibrated, I wouldn't touch any settings in the TV. Get a calibration disc (DVE, or download the AVS disc), run the patterns and adjust in the player.

S~

I'm still loving the 110. Haven't had 1 bit of trouble with it. Does a way better job at 2D-3D conversion than my Sony 55HX820. Regular 3D does look great on the Sony, though. As for the Oppo, it does play my DVD-A, SACDs, and FLAC files just fine, especially after the firmware update.

S~

Release Notes

Release Notes:

This version is designed for the OPPO BDP-93 and BDP-95 Blu-ray Disc players. Comparing to the previous public beta release version BDP9x-46-0428B, the major changes included in this version are:

1.VUDU HD Movies is added to the "Internet" section of the Home Menu.
2.The Netflix application is upgraded to version 2.1. This upgrade allows for Canadian customers to stream Netflix and adds the "Search" function.
3.Upgrade the Blu-ray loader firmware (CN0900), which can read discs more quietly, smoothly and robustly.
4.Add a new option for "Output Volume" in the setup menu (Setup -> Audio Processing -> Output Volume). You can either enable or disable volume control for the analog audio output. When "Output Volume" is set to "Fixed", the player outputs a fixed volume level that is the same as the volume control set to 100. When “Output Volume” is set to “Variable”, the analog output volume can be controlled by the remote "VOL +/-" buttons. If you use your A/V receiver or pre-amp to control the volume, we recommend disabling the volume control on the player to avoid accidentally reducing the player's output level.
5.Add the "direct play" support for DVD-A discs. Once the disc loading is done, you can directly press the STOP followed by the PLAY buttons on the remote to start the playback. This feature is useful for customers who do not use a video monitor while playing audio discs.
6.Added ID-Tag support for APE and FLAC files. Now these formats will show Title, Artist, Album and Genre on screen when played back at the Home Menu. Embedded Album Art is also supported for FLAC files.
7.Added OGG and OGM Vorbis media support. For OGG, the channel number is limited up to 2 and the sample rate is limited up to 96KHz.
8.Improve BD-Live connectivity. For example, "MovieIQ" will now properly connect and download additional media on selected Sony Pictures Blu-rays.
9.Improve DLNA performance, which includes faster indexing and more reliable media playback, and added additional DLNA server support.
10.Improve HDMI compatibility with some A/V receivers and televisions.
11.Improve the general disc compatibility based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples.

All features and improvements of the previous firmware are also included in this version.

OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray Disc Player

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts