OTA antenna not picking up certain networks

DebbieM

Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
Erie, PA
OTA bought from and installed by dish picking up all the local channels except for the ABC network. If I unhook the OTA from the dish receiver and hook it directly into the tv, then I can get all the local channels including the ABC network.

OTA bought from and installed by dish picking up all the local channels except for the ABC network. If I unhook the OTA from the dish receiver and hook it directly into the tv, then I can get all the local channels including the ABC network.

WJET Channel 24 should be easy to get, as your test did hooking directly to the TV. Have you rescanned the DISH locals? If yours allows you to add them one at a time, do that and go to channel 24 that is where WJET both actual and virtual is. If not just do a total rescan.

When I tried OTA, I found that the tuner in my TV was much better than the OTA module (that I used with my HWS). I could get a lot more channels with the tuner in my TV vs the Dish tuner.

When I tried OTA, I found that the tuner in my TV was much better than the OTA module (that I used with my HWS). I could get a lot more channels with the tuner in my TV vs the Dish tuner.

Well, this response has made the most sense out of all so far. Thank you. So, if this is the case, then I am just going to have to switch back and forth when I want to watch ABC, but won't be able to record anything, or I could just watch my two favorite show over the Internet. Thanks for your response.

WJET Channel 24 should be easy to get, as your test did hooking directly to the TV. Have you rescanned the DISH locals? If yours allows you to add them one at a time, do that and go to channel 24 that is where WJET both actual and virtual is. If not just do a total rescan.
We aren't paying for the local channels through dish. That's why we bought and had dish install the OTA antenna. The scan doesn't let you add channels manually, but that is good idea. Another person in this forum posted that their tv pulled in more channels than their dish receiver so maybe it is just the receiver. Maybe the next newest receiver will be more powerful and pull in all the channels. At least we have all the local channels but ABC. Thanks for your response.

Reactions: Tampa8
The dual adapter for OTA has a weak tuner. It's not surprising that your TV's tuner is better.
Do you know if there is there any way I could change to a better adapter? This looks like the one we have
upload_2018-3-1_16-50-6.png

Debbie. That one on Amazon is not for the Hopper. All the previous comments are correct. I too live about 4 miles from TV24’s tower and having the same problem. 24 cut there transmitting power in half and 12 and 54 have dropped as well. I have the usb dual dongle and it is not as sensitive as the single tuner. I continue to pay for locals because I don’t like losing the on demand option for mobile and home also like the two tuner option. Our locals don’t care because I think about 95% of the area has cable. And those subscribers don’t have the option of plugging there OTA antenna into the cable box to record. The new 3.0 DTV system is coming in about 2 years. New equipment will be needed and they are moving the designated DTV channel number. Maybe all will be well by then. Sorry this post is so long but had a lot to say on the subject.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
....The scan doesn't let you add channels manually, but that is good idea. Another person in this forum posted that their tv pulled in more channels than their dish receiver so maybe it is just the receiver. Maybe the next newest receiver will be more powerful and pull in all the channels.....

The next newest is here, well it's the last oldest. LOL. Yet another reason I have the VIP receivers not Hopper - I get even the harder stations just about as well as both my TV and Tivo do with my VIP receivers. And a manual scan is such a good idea, the VIP receiver can do it.
Sounds like if you want ABC you will need to subscribe to locals unless trying a replacement dongle might work. Or perhaps use an amp to boost the signal on the antenna.

Forgot to mention. I know friends and family who live 7-10 miles from the tower and they too are barely locking onto 24. I think you need about 70 minimum on the DISH signal meter to lock channels. My cousin has a 722 model and is getting 68 on the meter. That’s with a huge outdoor antenna. If DISH would adjust there meter sensitivity to 40, every subscriber can lock even low powered locals. My TV says 22-28 on its meter. So yes, television tuners are more sensitive. No answers from our TV studios. Maybe time to notify the newspaper. If they care.

If DISH would adjust there meter sensitivity to 40, every subscriber can lock even low powered locals

It's not a function of moving the signal meter to 40. It's the tuner itself. Adjusting the signal meter to 40 isn't going to fix the fact that the dual dongle (manufactured by Hauppauge, by the way) is weak and less sensitive than the older single tuner model.

Ther are a few channels that I see HIGHER signal strength with the new tuner but they still do not come in. i went back to the single tuner model and have not looked back.

We really need to see a Tvfool report for your location to give accurate advice. WJET coverage goes away quick to the east. It looks like it could be extremely difficult to receive starting as close as 15 miles from the tower in the Findley Lake / French Creek area.

What model antenna was installed?

We really need to see a Tvfool report for your location to give accurate advice. WJET coverage goes away quick to the east. It looks like it could be extremely difficult to receive starting as close as 15 miles from the tower in the Findley Lake / French Creek area.

What model antenna was installed?

Except the OP gets it on the TV, so while you could be correct it may be a weaker signal than the others it appears not too weak to get, just too weak to get with the dual module.

A little trick that I discovered. I hooked up my single dongle tuner and did the OTA scan which got all the channels available. Then I switched to the dual tuner dongle, and for me this worked. The dual tuner dongle would play the channels that they couldn't scan, but I think the signal strength is only marginal. Anyway, to attempt this requites a single tuner dongle, and as others have mentioned, these days they're fairly hard to find.
All that said, I have no idea why Dish can't/won't provide an OTA dongle with the necessary sensitivity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts