Picked up another Primestar dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Here are the Pics of it. 1st 4 were done on Sunday when I set the dish up. The 1st pic is of both. The one aimed at SBS6 is the one I got on Saturday but the LNB is on the other one at G11 (which I found out the LNB was shot so that got replaced).

Anything good on G11 ;)

Anything good on G11 ;)

feeds. Main reason was the T90 is set up for 72,79,87,89,93,97,101,107,110 and already have a dish at 123 so that left 83,85,91,95,99 & 103 for a separate dish

83, 85, 95, 99 there isnt much on there (have a motorized for that). 103 I had it for but alot of the news feeds were very weak (we had this conversation a while back with a member who was in the uplinking business and those news feeds are at lower power) so that kinda left 91 :)

and with the LNB I have on there now (the DirecPC one) the LNB cant be skewed (the DPC dish can but not the Primestar) so 91 being 2 degrees off my true south skew is moot.

feeds. Main reason was the T90 is set up for 72,79,87,89,93,97,101,107,110 and already have a dish at 123 so that left 83,85,91,95,99 & 103 for a separate dish

83, 85, 95, 99 there isnt much on there (have a motorized for that). 103 I had it for but alot of the news feeds were very weak (we had this conversation a while back with a member who was in the uplinking business and those news feeds are at lower power) so that kinda left 91 :)

and with the LNB I have on there now (the DirecPC one) the LNB cant be skewed (the DPC dish can but not the Primestar) so 91 being 2 degrees off my true south skew is moot.

Primestar's can be skewed. It's not that much work either. You just have to mount a boat seat swivel between the reflector, and the mount. Almost bolts right up with the original holes on the swivel, only have to slightly enlarge them. Works real well, and you can buy them at Walmart. I mentioned this in a previous post a couple days ago here on site. I personally think the Primestar dishes are one of the best dishes ever designed. Free for the asking in most cases, so even better. I have about 6 of the large elliptical, (stored right now) and 2 of the large 40" ovals (installed), and they have killer gain, and that screw adjustment is the best thing going for the smallest tweak adjustments!

Cabela's -- Swivel Seat Mounting Base

couple more pics :)

I switched the LNB on the G11 dish to the old DirecPC LNB

Attachments

• 000_0355.jpg
    000_0355.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 000_0356.jpg
    000_0356.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 000_0357.jpg
    000_0357.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 000_0359.jpg
    000_0359.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 141
The dish that got away...

I recently noticed what was obviously a Primestar dish at an old abandoned house just off a local highway.

After a little detective work (online county tax records), I had the name of the owner of the property. A short while later, I had a phone number. You gotta love the Internet!

I called the owner and told him that I was a hobbyist and I noticed the old Primestar dish. I asked if he would be interested in getting rid of it.

He told me it didn't belong to him... I asked him who it belonged to... He said...

PRIMESTAR!!!

I politely explained to him that Primestar has been out of business for at least seven years. He sternly informed me that it didn't belong to him, so he couldn't give it away. I thanked him for his time and bid him good day.

I'll keep looking... One is not enough :D

Score!

I was driving in the country today and saw a Primestar elliptical dish still mounted behind an older house.

I decided to give it a shot and stopped to inquire about it.

A very nice older lady answered the door. I told her I noticed the Primestar dish behind the house and asked if they still used it for anything. She told me that they had cable now, so it wasn't being used.

I asked her if she would like to get rid of it. She told me sure, you can have it if you want... :D

A few minutes later it was in the back of the truck.

This one differs from my first Primestar. It has a cylindrical LNB labeled NJR2118F, instead of the flat, rounded rectangular LNB. It, like the rectangular version, has both V and H outputs.

I placed the dish on an existing wall mount (with some shimming) and pointed it in the general direction of AMC3, with the proper elevation. Connected up the Fortec to the V side, set LO=10750 and a known TP and checked the signal. Nada. Not even the usual 0-6% dance that the Fortec meter does, which seems to be the indicator that the LO is set properly. I changed to 10600, and there was the 0-6% "noise" but no signal, no matter which way I moved it.

I pulled the cylindrical LNB off and mounted the LNB from the first Primestar dish and dang if I wasn't pointing right at AMC3 and hitting about 40% quality!

So I have to believe the cylindrical LNB is a different LO, or is bad. How often do LNBs go bad? Any idea what LO this LNB is supposed to use? I Googled the LNB, but there wasn't a lot on it. Some mentioned 10750 and some 10600.

I'll guess I could pickup another LNB for it anyway, but I am curious ;), and if the LNB works, I might use it after all.

Attachments

• IMG_2847.JPG
    IMG_2847.JPG
    498.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2848.JPG
    IMG_2848.JPG
    539.7 KB · Views: 111
I've only hit one bad one out of about 6 I think, they're fairly reliable, even after all this time.
Standard lnbf, lo is 10750, long as the vertical side is powered, if it's any good, you should get something. (with only the V-side powered though, you might have to twist the lnb around to get a picture to come in, twisted it up to about 30-40, then -30,-40 if you get nothing the other way)
If you don't have a 3x4 switch that's a good way to test that one.
Found another round one yesterday myself, called a real estate agent who said he would ask the owner and get back to me Monday or Tues. Looked like a 1m, already pulled up and lying on the ground by this old country house, been on the ground sev months , looked like it was in good shape though. Pole and all.

Standard lnbf, lo is 10750, long as the vertical side is powered, if it's any good, you should get something. (with only the V-side powered though, you might have to twist the lnb around to get a picture to come in, twisted it up to about 30-40, then -30,-40 if you get nothing the other way)

I did skew the cylindrical LNB to +12 (based on my location) and was only looking at a V TP. I'll try again another day, since the weather caught up with me; we are finally getting some much needed rain.

Found another round one yesterday myself, called a real estate agent who said he would ask the owner and get back to me Monday or Tues. Looked like a 1m, already pulled up and lying on the ground by this old country house, been on the ground sev months , looked like it was in good shape though. Pole and all.

I'm keeping my eyes open for a round one, but I wouldn't pass up another elliptical :)

Heheh your LNBF is fine you're suffering from Bird Crap Fade!
:cool:

Were Primestar most often mounted on poles?
I have never seen one around here that wasn't mounted on a pole.

This one differs from my first Primestar. It has a cylindrical LNB labeled NJR2118F, instead of the flat, rounded rectangular LNB. It, like the rectangular version, has both V and H outputs.

I placed the dish on an existing wall mount (with some shimming) and pointed it in the general direction of AMC3, with the proper elevation. Connected up the Fortec to the V side, set LO=10750 and a known TP and checked the signal. Nada. Not even the usual 0-6% dance that the Fortec meter does, which seems to be the indicator that the LO is set properly. I changed to 10600, and there was the 0-6% "noise" but no signal, no matter which way I moved it.

I have the same one on my dish for SBS6. Try and hook it up to the H side and do a blind scan on all. Sometimes those LNB's are 90 degrees off for some odd reason.

LNB LO is 10750

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)