pics of the dish farm...post yours too :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I tried posting these on the "Pics of dish farm thread" and they would not go. So trying again as a new thread. The hills are at my elevation:). the major problem here is the wind. In these pictures are over 200 wind generators!

Pict 1 is due east the neighbor is 1 mile away
Pict 2 is due south
Pict 3 is our neighbor, north west a half mile away.
Picture 4 is due west. That hill is about 200 feet higher than I am, and almost 3.5 miles away
Nice pictures Pop, reminds me when I use to live in Wyoming. :)
Tom

great pics, pop. I'll trade you some of my luxuriant green yard grass that you wanted, for some of your line-of-sight! ;)

There are at least six 20 acre pieces along our road, and even several on top of that hill to the west of me. Talk about LOS! :hungry: Prices of land are low. Wages are lower and many roads are passable in the winter with 4 wheel drive -- high wheel farm tractors. And food and gas prices are rather high. Closest WalMart is at least 85 miles away! Safeway, Albertsons and Fred Meyer (Kroger) are 45 miles +.

AND you can see the Milk in the Milky Way, and you can not count high enough to count the stars that you can see:eureka:):). Get stuck in a cattle drive on the way to town several times... WE LOVE IT!:luvlove:
Hey HAMS, Can you imagine an 80 meter 5 element Wire Beam? I LOVE IT!

There are at least six 20 acre pieces along our road, and even several on top of that hill to the west of me. Talk about LOS! :hungry: Prices of land are low. Wages are lower and many roads are passable in the winter with 4 wheel drive -- high wheel farm tractors. And food and gas prices are rather high. Closest WalMart is at least 85 miles away! Safeway, Albertsons and Fred Meyer (Kroger) are 45 miles +.

AND you can see the Milk in the Milky Way, and you can not count high enough to count the stars that you can see:eureka:):). Get stuck in a cattle drive on the way to town several times... WE LOVE IT!:luvlove:
Hey HAMS, Can you imagine an 80 meter 5 element Wire Beam? I LOVE IT!
How far are you from the neaest town? At least we had a Safeway in those towns. Not the biggest of stores mind you. If we had to go to a town that gavea better sellection then we had to drive about 65 miles away.
Tom

How far are you from the neaest town? At least we had a Safeway in those towns. Not the biggest of stores mind you. If we had to go to a town that gavea better sellection then we had to drive about 65 miles away.
Tom
Pleasant Valley is 2 1/2 miles away; Volunter FD building and 2 houses... The Town itself is 12 miles away with 2 grocery stores, 4 hardware/feed stores, 2 tire shops, 2 motels, 2 restaurants & 3 greasy spoons + McDonalds & a Dairy Queen, 4 gas stations, 2 Christian schools - well you get the picture. This is another shot to the east with our home and car.

Attachments

• DSCN0971.JPG
    DSCN0971.JPG
    448.4 KB · Views: 366
Rv1pop,
I've a friend just outside of Spokane... he's given me some interesting stories about the wind they get there...
Can't imagine all that wind with no trees. Guess you just point the rig nose to the wind and anchor down, eh?

Sounds like you need satellite for locals that far away -LOL
Yes, there is a amplified Winegard Batwing on the roof of the motorhome, which gets statons sometimes, but I had one of these antennas blow off, and was accused of driving with it up so would not be replaced under warrentee.

In one of the pictures there is a picture of my OTA antenna that was up about 35 feet, and the 3/16" guy wires snapped in the wind - 3 times. It can not go back up.

Iceberg, you asked me somewhere, if I had been able to get the Primestar LNB working on the 1 M dish, and I had not been able to retest it until Saturday -- I tried about 3 hours and NEVER got a signal from it, H or V. The little univ. Bullet works great, but I order a bunch of Sadoun Dual KU-STD LNBFs to build my set up.
Will keep everything as consitant as I can. Still working on the switching setup, too. I got 1 4X8 switch, but the tone side does not seem to work.

I also found a place with High speed internet only 15 miles away, so I will take more up to date pictures and post them, soon. Hope to pick up 2 more 1M primestars this week, too.

My Dish Farm

Here is my dish farm. 2 36" GeoSat Pro's. One motorized and one fixed on G10 G27 and Nasa. Just finished the new install of the motorized system. Took it off the roof and put it where I can get to it all the time now. Works great and I can get all the birds you can here in the NW USA.

My receiver is a Mercury II

FTA has been super fun for me and is my only system now.:)

Attachments

• G10.JPG
    G10.JPG
    837 KB · Views: 378
  • G10lnb.JPG
    G10lnb.JPG
    286.4 KB · Views: 357
  • Mdish1.JPG
    Mdish1.JPG
    474.7 KB · Views: 301
  • Mdish2.JPG
    Mdish2.JPG
    478 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
Thanks Bob

Its a bit over kill but solid and took me a long time to get it all sorted out. The poor motorized dish took on 84 mph winds most the winter up on the roof so when I got it moved I wanted it to stay put. Now I can adjust it if I need to any time and in just about any weather. The fixed dish is on a C band post that is filled with cement with an adapter for the Geo Sat dish. I never put my C band on it and then the bush took over. You can see I have to keep it cut back but it hides and protects the dish well.

No Farm....just One Plant !! :D

2"x3"x10' Square Tubing mounted 4' in the ground.
Had a slight issue getting a few Western Sats. so I had to Modify it some with a extension of 2"x3"x18" Tubing. Solid as a Rock !

Attachments

• DSCN0960.JPG
    DSCN0960.JPG
    864.8 KB · Views: 506
Hatchet Job Dish Mount

This is my hatchet job featuring an 80cm Fortec (I thought it was 85cm till I checked my owners manual).

Thanks to the good folks (experts) here at SatelliteGuys, I was able to fine tune this rig to perfection. Most of my channels are coming in between 80% to 99% Q. It was hit and miss with some birds until I removed a bad warp and aligned my arc to match the birds arc.

You can see it is mounted to a wood porch. The mounting hardware was modified so that one arm extends upward in a vertical direction as there was no way to attach both arms in a horizontal direction. I had to do this to make this work on this part of the house. This location puts the dish a little more out of harms way. It took a lot of grunting to twist and bend the arm to mount in this fashion. I was worried more about vertical deflection than horizontal. Also note the extra hardware I added. A turnbuckle and chain. I was afraid that the weight of the motor and dish was going to pull the hardware off plumb. Turns out it's still plumb, so I may take that stuff off as it's not needed.

Anyway, when the wind blows hard, it stays pretty well stationary.

The dish is lightly spray painted with a brown primer to sort of match the color of the house. From a distance, the dish disappears.

Looking north, you can see both dishes. The one on the right is Wildblue. I decided to separate them so that they do not get into a fight with each other. :D
I still need to clean up my cables, but it's almost done.

Another good reason for this setup is that I can put a portable TV on the porch and tweak the hardware for maximum quality, right next to the dish.

I planned on transferring this rig to a pole, but the porch mount is working so well, I will just leave it alone.

The only thing left to do now is win a free receiver from the "receiver a week contest" so I can get a box setup in the bedroom. Ok, maybe also get a C-band dish and mount that next to the house as well. ;)

You newbies out there...if I can do it, you can do it. It was worth the pain and aggravation (mostly aggravation).

Attachments

• 80CM_FTA_Back.JPG
    80CM_FTA_Back.JPG
    364 KB · Views: 401
  • 80CM_FTA_Front.JPG
    80CM_FTA_Front.JPG
    855.8 KB · Views: 379
  • Porch.JPG
    Porch.JPG
    877.9 KB · Views: 375
  • Two_Dish_Farm.JPG
    Two_Dish_Farm.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 377
Fizbi
Thanks for sharing your photos! I love to see how others have "engineered" their setups. Great job!:bounce
Bob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts