Pistons / Celtics

Paul Wozniak

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Hamtramck,MI
As per Salsa's request, (all though he says he won't be watching, yeah, right) here's the thread for your trash talk and predictions.

Mine? I see both teams losing at least one at home. Nobody has (as far as I know) made it to the NBA finals without winning at least one road game, and these Celtics will not be an exception. They're not getting to the finals regardless. I'll give the advantage to Boston in the Pierce / Prince matchup. Wallace / Garnett is a wash. Allen / Hamilton - Pistons, Billups / Ronjo - definitely Pistons. McDyess / Perkins(?) - Pistons. Bench - Pistons. Coaching and playoff experience also go towards the Pistons. Intangibles - well Boston does still have the home court and the Celtic mystique, but that won't matter.

PISTONS IN 7. Yeah, I'm a homer.

As per Salsa's request, (all though he says he won't be watching, yeah, right) here's the thread for your trash talk and predictions.

Mine? I see both teams losing at least one at home. Nobody has (as far as I know) made it to the NBA finals without winning at least one road game, and these Celtics will not be an exception. They're not getting to the finals regardless. I'll give the advantage to Boston in the Pierce / Prince matchup. Wallace / Garnett is a wash. Allen / Hamilton - Pistons, Billups / Ronjo - definitely Pistons. McDyess / Perkins(?) - Pistons. Bench - Pistons. Coaching and playoff experience also go towards the Pistons. Intangibles - well Boston does still have the home court and the Celtic mystique, but that won't matter.

PISTONS IN 7. Yeah, I'm a homer.

Celtics in 7.

I will just disagree with you a little on your match up analysis. I would give Garnett a slight advantage over Wallace, and I like the C's bench a little more than the Pistons. I also believe both these coaches could lose the series for either team.

Celtics have a great team and had a great season. However, the inability to win a road game in the playoffs is definitely a problem.

None of these teams have done well at road games, but I think Celtics is one of the few that haven't managed to win one of them.

It is still an exciting year to be a Celtics fan, or a New England Sports fan in general.

EDIT: By the way, the Pistons do have the potential to level the Celtics, but I'm hoping the coach will remind the players that road games do count.. :)

I want the Celtics to win so it will be Lakers/Celtics again.

Because i hate both teams.....I will NOT watch a single game. Seriously.....IF....and I do mean IF....I were to pick a lesser of two.....forget it! I can't even do THAT!

Edit: I almost feel dirty just responding......OK, I will shower now!

Celtics in 7.

I will just disagree with you a little on your match up analysis. I would give Garnett a slight advantage over Wallace, and I like the C's bench a little more than the Pistons. I also believe both these coaches could lose the series for either team.

Flip Saunders is a much better coach than Doc Rivers.

Celtics in 7.

I was all set to give Garnett the edge, but Sheed gave Howard fits defensively last series. He made Howard a non-factor, and at this stage of the game, defense is everything. This will be a much better series than either team just played in. We don't have a LeBron, and I see that as an advantage. I don't think there will be a lot of double teaming going on this round, the Pistons have 5 scorers in their starting line up.

:rolleyes:
Of course you like Flip Saunders, his coaching gave Cleveland the eastern conference last year.

Plus, the Flipster was born and raised in good ol' Cleveland, Ohio. He also was an All-American High School player at Cuyahoga Heights High School in suburban Cleveland. But that is besides the point. I think any knowledgeable fan outside of either city would regard Flip as the better coach.

Celtics in 6 IF they can win one road game. If not, Pistons in 7. Celtics will not lose a home game unless it goes seven. I hope it will be over in 6. I just want who ever represents the Eastern Conference to beat whoever represents the West. I think the Celtics have the better team to do that.

A coin-toss on Pistons/Celtics in 7. I have to give the edge to the Pistons due to playoff experience and Billups' free throw ability. During the the regular season, Boston was 1-1 at home and 1-0 on the road against Detroit. It should be an exciting series!

Celtics in 6.

NEVER trust a team coached by Flip Saunders.

In three previous Conference Finals appearances, he is 0-9 on the road.

(The last time Detroit won an East Finals road game, Larry Brown was still the coach!)

He's the NBA's Ron Wilson- Can't get it done when it counts.

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but I'm sticking to my prediction from earlier this year: Pistons in 6 (and win the title over the Lakers in 6) . I also picked the Red Wings to the win the Cup (still do) and the Tigers to win the Series (not any more), for three championship parades in the Motor City.

Celtics in 6.

NEVER trust a team coached by Flip Saunders.

In three previous Conference Finals appearances, he is 0-9 on the road.

(The last time Detroit won an East Finals road game, Larry Brown was still the coach!)

Excellent tidbit. On the flip (no pun intended) side, I'm concerned about Saunders knowing too many of Garnett's tendencies, having coached him for many years in Minnesota.

So much for the 'rested Pistons.'

More like rust.

Mr. Big Shot was NOT his usual self- coming back to play despite injury is proving to be a not-so-good decision on the boxscore (see Kimo Timomen)

Flip Saunders is now 0-10 on the road in the East Finals.

We say the Celtics don't do well on the road, but neither does Coach Saunders.

I'm hoping the Celtics find a way to fix their road cancer though. If they can, this'll go smoothly. So far they haven't had any success in the playoffs.

Is it too late to change my prediction? ;) Wow Detroit, I sure expected a better fight with all that time to rest and plan. With Boston coming off short rest, you'd figure it would've been a great time to steal one on the road. Some of the Piston's just looked out of gas and unconditioned. I noticed Rasheed sucking air early in the first quarter and Billups looked uneasy as if that bad hammy may still be nagging.

All Detroit needs to do is win one road game. Then the series is over. Boston has shown no fight at all on the road this year. Losing 3 to ATL???

Ouch, ohhw. The Celtics beat us at our own game last night - DEFENSE. Billups is not 100%, that's for sure. Garnett ripped us a new one. The Pistons looked like the team that has played 15 games in the last month+ last night. The Celtics were faster and sharper in every way, last night. I still think all those games the Celtics have played will catch up with them. Maybe game 2?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)