GEOSATpro Please help with MicroHD Bootloop issue

TRG

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 19, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
I managed to bootloop my receiver by simply de-selecting a satellite in the sat list. I have a recovery cable and I'm able to get the STB working again. My problem comes when I try to edit my channel list with the Ali Editor. After my edits I upload the userdb.udf file and the receiver immediately goes into a bootloop.

Here is the sequence of events.

Open Ali Editor
Configure serial port (Com 5 in my case)
Process / Download (PC--> STB) 1-139w_microHD_Default_20130619.udf to clear bootloop.
Unplug power and move STB to TV
Boot
Factory reset
Disconnect power for at least 10 seconds.
Boot
Configure LO and diseq port(s)
Scan satellite(s)
Save userdb.udf to USB from STB
Edit with ALI Editor.
(NOTE: I only renamed the service names. I did not delete any channels or transponders.)
Update via USB userdb.udf
BOOTLOOP

What am I doing wrong?

Additional information that might be helpful
Using Firmware File GSPMHD_20130626.abs
AliEditor version DB4 3.0.0e
PC is running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Thanks

Thanks Brian. That version of ALI editor worked for me. No more bootloop but.... The video on the PBS Oklahoma MUX on 125w "flashes" after editing the service name. The only way to clear it is to rescan the transponder. Then the service name defaults back to the original.

Each Ali STB uses it's own AliEditor configuration. Most versions are not interchangeable with other STBs.

Oklahoma uses a "somewhat" compliant DVBS2 table. Try changing the SID to an unused value as well as the service name.

I'm really starting to dislike the GEOSATpro Micro HD. Once again it is stuck in the boot loop, and all I did was delete 1 satellite on the list. I deleted using the remote not the ALI editor. As soon as I deleted the Satellite, it rebooted itself and got stuck. So here I go again with the TTL cable trying to restore, really getting annoyed by this. Anyone know if there is a way to contact the firmware developer and see if they have a different firmware that might fix this? Perhaps an experimental, pre-release or beta that they are working on?. I like the simplicity of this receiver, but getting tired of having to keep restoring it everytime I make changes to the satellites list.

I must be lucky because I am able to reselect the satellite after the first reboot and stop the loop.

I'm really starting to dislike the GEOSATpro Micro HD. Once again it is stuck in the boot loop, and all I did was delete 1 satellite on the list. I deleted using the remote not the ALI editor. As soon as I deleted the Satellite, it rebooted itself and got stuck. So here I go again with the TTL cable trying to restore, really getting annoyed by this. Anyone know if there is a way to contact the firmware developer and see if they have a different firmware that might fix this? Perhaps an experimental, pre-release or beta that they are working on?. I like the simplicity of this receiver, but getting tired of having to keep restoring it everytime I make changes to the satellites list.
Last Fall when I checked with Eugene at Satellite AV, there was no fix available. Best bet would be to contact him directly and ask to see if he has any updates.

If you do contact him, please tell him that if he makes the source code available there are people who could fix the problem, and put an end to this frustration.

Reactions: dsmith0429
Just delete any channels on any satellite FIRST, before you delete the satellite from the list. Why people delete satellites in the Micro's list is beyond me anyway, as they don't cause any issues just sitting there, and it's not like it'll save memory or anything.

I can say that of the few people that have boot-looped their MicroHD and posted it, 99.9% have been self-caused by their owner deleting sats from the list. Even AFTER it's been posted over and over again that deleting sats without deleting channels first, causes the boot-loop.

Don't delete them, and be happy.

p.s. Brian had the firmware encrypted, so I wouldn't expect the source code to ever get released.

That may explain why I have been lucky. I have never deleted a satellite. The problem happens when I delete all the channels then deselect the satellite after I forget to delete the radio channels. Then when the unit reboots I quickly go in and reselect the satellite, delete the radio channels. Then I am able to deselect the satellite with no issues. Why would you want to delete a satellite?

Reactions: dsmith0429
Just delete any channels on any satellite FIRST, before you delete the satellite from the list. Why people delete satellites in the Micro's list is beyond me anyway, as they don't cause any issues just sitting there, and it's not like it'll save memory or anything.

I can say that of the few people that have boot-looped their MicroHD and posted it, 99.9% have been self-caused by their owner deleting sats from the list. Even AFTER it's been posted over and over again that deleting sats without deleting channels first, causes the boot-loop.

Don't delete them, and be happy.

p.s. Brian had the firmware encrypted, so I wouldn't expect the source code to ever get released.

That may explain why I have been lucky. I have never deleted a satellite. The problem happens when I delete all the channels then deselect the satellite after I forget to delete the radio channels. Then when the unit reboots I quickly go in and reselect the satellite, delete the radio channels. Then I am able to deselect the satellite with no issues. Why would you want to delete a satellite?
Guess I'm just a neat freak, I don't like seeing sats I can't pick up... didn't know about the deleting sats with channels issue, lesson learned, thats why I like SatelliteGuys forums, always someone out there with a useful answer, at least once in a while :) Thanks for your reply!

Last Fall when I checked with Eugene at Satellite AV, there was no fix available. Best bet would be to contact him directly and ask to see if he has any updates.

If you do contact him, please tell him that if he makes the source code available there are people who could fix the problem, and put an end to this frustration.
I agree, this shouldn't be an acceptable issue, doesn't happen with many other manufacturers... except I did have the same issue with a X2 Premium HD SE that I still have not been to get working again, and the only help they offered was to sell me the new version at a discount, not a solution in my book.

FYI there's also a bug in the AZ Box Elite, Premium and Ultra receivers. If you have a satellite active with NO transponders it will go bonkers. Add a satellite you better add a dummy TP and SR cuz if you don't, you'll be doing it all over again.

I was one of the first few people to boot loop a microHD a few years ago. We were still trying to determine why at the time. I never learned the reason mine did, I hadn't deleted anything. I'm inclined to think it was because mine was getting powered off every night at the time.

I never heard if the recording issue was ever resolved either. I have dozens of microHD .TS recordings that playback as a fast forwarding blue screen. Others have reported the same thing. These recordings play fine on a PC and on other devices without a problem. To me this occurred after a FW update. I think I even sent a sample for analysis IIRC.

Powered off every night? I've done that with both of mine since I bought them last year with zero problems that I know of??

I've also recorded a ton of .TS files with my Micro HDs and never seen the "blue screen" replay problem either?? Are you using an external hard drive that has it's own power supply? Does it do the same thing with a flash/thumb drive?

Powered off every night? I've done that with both of mine since I bought them last year with zero problems that I know of??

I've also recorded a ton of .TS files with my Micro HDs and never seen the "blue screen" replay problem either?? Are you using an external hard drive that has it's own power supply? Does it do the same thing with a flash/thumb drive?

My µHD was powered on 100% of the time, and rarely had an issue. If I powered it off, the clock time was useless. That was a major problem for me and trying to maintain effective timers.

Thanks everybody for your input. I successfully restored my Micro HD, and figured out how to save some time next time I want to "play" too much.

1st, after restoring, and before changing any settings, scanning for channels, etc, I used the remote, and I simply deleted everything I didn't want, added the circular birds that is not included in the satellite list, rebooted to make sure it was working OK, then saved the list as the default list.

Next I downloaded the user database to my old Windows XP laptop (I only use it for FTA medicinal purposes :) ) using Ali Editor, saved as master.udf, manually sorted the satellites to put the circular birds in correct order with the other satellites. Saved the file.

Then I manually added the Radio channels on 103W that does not automatically scan in (over 80 of them), saved the file again. Uploaded to the receiver, and BAMM worked great! Saved it on the receiver as the default database again, then proceeded to scan for my other channels. When finished, saved again as default, downloaded with Ali Editor, made any additional changes I wanted, saved again, the uploaded back to the receiver.

So now I have a preconfigured database that I can easily use to restore my receiver with my custom satellites & channels list without having to redo everything. A lot of steps, but I did them to make sure the file kept working, renamed the file each time I saved it by adding a number to the end, and after I was able to verify I had a good database file with everything I wanted in it, I deleted the others I created except for my empty database that only had the satellites/transponders in it.

BTW, I used the ALI Editor posted on here, the one from the manufacturers website seems to have problems.

I heard back from Eugene about the Micro HD, so I thought I'd share a couple quotes:

Bootloop:
"Your solution saving the file and using it to restore is correct, we have been doing this. My biggest frustration is the developers are not able to fix the issue."

"Hidden" Radio Channels on 103W:
"The radio satellite requires multiple scanning of the same frequency before eventually loading all the channels, there is not a receiver on the market that can blind scan that at once"

Hey, I noticed a new driver update on my Windows 8.1 PC today while doing updates, waiting for them to install. It's for the Prolific USB-to-Serial cable. I wonder if that means I can use my Windows 8 PC to now edit my Micro HD? Will have to give it a try after it installs. Has anybody else seen this or know if it works?

Attachments

• prolific.jpg
    prolific.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 238

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts