Primestar find

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

fafhrd2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Fairmont WV
Picked up a Primestar 40" x 30" at a garage sale yesterday for 3 bucks. Think I will mount the post this week, then wait about 2 weeks for PBS pledge drives to end before adding the dish. Would the lnb that came with it perform as well as a 0.3 noise bullet lnbf? Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG00048.JPG
    IMG00048.JPG
    545.7 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG00049.JPG
    IMG00049.JPG
    531.8 KB · Views: 188
the LNB is probably one of the LNB's where 1 output is vertical and one is Horizontal polarity. Take off that cover to verify (it will be right by the coax connections). If so you would need a 3x4 multiswitch to combine the polarities

I used one of those LNB's and it worked better than some of the other ones I tried. Main reason is those are designed for the Primestar

Good find! - :up

Even got the original pole 'n concrete.
Just use a post hole digger, and drop the whole thing right back into the ground.
Depending on soil conditions, I might not even pour in more (but it couldn't hurt)
Just true up the top of the pole (looks like it's got a kink near the bottom).

The feedhorn matches to the elliptical dish, very well.
If you need any help with the LNB, look up "dove bar".
We have are some good pictures of it and info on how to adjust it (for skew).

edit:
Come to think of it, if the dish's mount will skew, that's the proper way to do it.
Set the LNB to zero, and skew the mount.

PS: DishStore (gold sponsor, top of this page) has a 3x4 multiswitch for $5, if you don't have one.

Thanks very much Anole and Ice. Thought maybe the lnb shown in pic might be a keeper. Yes it is a dual out H and V model Ice and has a very cool elliptical scaler. Thought maybe I would just use the V f connector out and point at 125 where I think all tps are V [have to check Lyngsat]. Anole you are right about pole, but the 'kink' is hardly noticeable; maybe my digital camera photography skills leave a lot to be desired! I read up on the lnb and in a couple older forums from 2004-2007 they said a Directv switch could be used [have one laying around].

I love these PrimeStar's - - - I have one motorized but it is one size down from the one you found. These are GREAT dishes!!!

Great find!!!

Should work just fine, the lnbf was matched to the dish shape so if it works I wouldn't change it out for a new one. I like where you have your water heater too, lol. Good find there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.