Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Well yesterday my wife surprised me with a PlayStation 3 along with Madden for the PS3.

So far to me the PS3 seems like like a glorified PSP, the layout of the menus and everything is just like the PSP.

I have not played any movies nor any PS3 games on it yet however I have downloaded some demos and some BluRay previews. The games I have download have been nothing to write home about, but I am happy they let us test some games before we pay $60 for them.

I don't know if I am doing something wrong, but I have taken a SD memory card and loaded it with jpeg images, a few videos, and a number of MP3's.

When I pop in the SD card I can see it, however under photos I see nothing, under videos I see nothing and under music I see all the artists I have loaded on in mp3, however I can not play any of the songs. None of these songs are protected in any way I ripped them myself from CD's years ago.

So what am I doing wrong?

Also is there any way to speed up downloads on the PS3? The initial software download took the PS3 over 20 minutes to download on my 15 MB connection, yet I downloaded the same file from their website in under 30 seconds. Even downloading demos and videos takes forever for a 100 MB file.

Thanks. :)

Yep, my initial software download took forever (20-30 minutes) on my 6Mb Comcast...very slow. As far as the USB, I've only used it to copy and load games to a SD memory card and worked just fine.

Resistance:up :up :up
Full Auto 2:up :down :down
Sonic:up :down :up

Last edited:
Is the connection from the ps3 to internet wired or wireless. The reason I ask is, I read a post somewhere that you have to do a little setting ajustment on the wireless routor side to get the full speed of download. But, that's for this one guy that had the same problem as you.

That's why I use wired connection.

Last edited:
Audio and video need to go in there respected folders, iirc /AUDIO and /VIDEO etc, for them to show up, not 100% sure on the structure (cant remember), but thats why they dont show up (iirc if you hit triangle, you can explore all the folders on the SD card)

Downloads are slow yes, 2-3 in the AM, there fast however!.

Now, for what its worth, there is a way to download the demos on a PC, then transfer them over in a roundabout fake dns + proxy kinda way, just easier to let them download though!

For some reason the PS3, when looking for photos, will only look into the directory that your digital camera makes.
I found this out when transferring custom pics for making avatars for the family. I had just copied them to the root directory of the SD, instead of the directory my digital camera uses.

I have done that, it displays the artists but when I click the triangle it says none found.

I will have to try putting them in /music/ and see if that takes care of things.

I am kind of surprised the unit didnt come with some videos, photos and music to show you how the functions work.

I also noticed that on a new system with nothing saved to it, 18gb of the 60 gb drive is already used up. Thats a huge operating system to use that much room.

BTW scott, when u watch a BD on PS3 tell us how it looks and works, i was thinking about getting it just to play the Blurays!

As far as the hard drive...can't you just swap in any HDD of greater size that fits the form factor (standard 1/2" laptop drive--SATA). I've got a bud that was planning on doing that to his 20GB PS3 soon.

There are plenty of sources of info--seems its Sony-sanctioned and discussed in their documentation. Pretty cool that they did this (not very Sony, typically known for closed/proprietary setups).

Here are sources for how-to's:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/upgrade-your-ps3-hard-drive-step-by-step-216550.php

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=86089

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ent...ll-swap-it-out-for-a-monster-drive-216612.php

and even a video tutorial here...

http://www.theworkinggamer.com/theworkinggamer/Podcast/9AA3E00D-6700-48DB-869F-D1B07AC7FD40.html

Seems you can get a 120GB drive for $100.

Man, I wish I could do this on my 360...:) Maybe some day they'll come out w/ larger pop-on HDDs (but they won't be this cheap, I'll bet).

Supposedly a 120 GB drive is coming via a console version 2.0, but they haven't mentioned making it available as an accessory (I'd be shocked if they didn't).

The thing they need to do is provide a software utility that will let you "backup" the contents over the ethernet cable to a PC. Most of us have the ability to stream music off of our PCs, it should be an easy thing to do. I'd hate to have to reload every game and media file (not to mention all the music I have for custom soundtracks - one of my favorite features....)

Scott.

That is really really weird. I added a ton of MP3's and such and placed them all in random folders, and some in the root directory.

I do not understand why this is happening at all, as all of my randomly placed music, videos, and pics are easily found. I hope placing them in the /Music directory works for you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)