Question about multi-switches

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have finished the feedhorns. I had to make a change in plans. Turns out that the superdish feed horn was too small in diameter and could not be threaded. So we cut out the tubes and flange area from the legacy quad. We turned them down on at lathe and drilled the matching holes. Note: the holes are NOT EVENLY SPACED! Lucky I used the SD flange as a drill guide. I just had to rotate it 90d to get them to all line up.

The photos show the completed LNBs and one mounted in the new dish.

Next up is testing.

Attachments

• 021611_1710[00].jpg
    021611_1710[00].jpg
    85 KB · Views: 144
  • 021611_1440[00].jpg
    021611_1440[00].jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 146
Test results

Started testing yesterday. Finished this AM. Photo of dishes and switch. The SD is pointed at G19 (97) and the 1m dish is pointed at SES-1 (101). THe blind scan of SES-1 was kinda boring because there is not a lot of programming on it. The signal strength was rather on the low side but that was expected. The GEOsat pro receiver was fairly easy to set up. It found all of the channel on SES-1. only about half the channels were locking on G19 but it was enough to prove that it works.

Attachments

• 021911_0948[00].jpg
    021911_0948[00].jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 151
Nice work. And very cool concept, making your own feedhorns.

Looking through my dummy LNBFs, I found a two-horn DishNet, and two single-horn DirecTV units.
All three came out of scrapped display hardware removed from RadioShack stores some years back.
They are plastic shells, with empty die-cast metal lnb bodies inside.

In both designs, I noticed the hole in the feedhorn tube is larger than the LNB (or the 105 feed tube).
Wonder if that's a problem?
It would be if one were to try to graft any part of -my- 105 feed tube to the bigger horn.

I noticed my Dish dual bird LNB casting had two screw-on horns, just as you described.
Being dummies, they had a place for the diagonal plastic insert, but nothing there. ;)
(that would make them receive circular, if installed)

The DirecTV single LNBs have a little cast-in step inside the tube.
That serves the same purpose - it makes the LNB work on circular.
I think I can bore that out without any trouble.

So we cut out the tubes and flange area from the legacy quad.
We turned them down on at lathe and drilled the matching holes.
Anyway, I didn't see any close-ups of the machined base of the feedhorn/tube, where it mounts to the LNB.
If I can make any out of my parts, I'll try to post 'em to encourage the next guy.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for a very educational thread. - :up

Finished, Sort of.

We installed all the hardware, and set the receivers to see the dish configuration, but still need to set the channel order. A minor problem I know but every time I go there the customer has some thing he wants changed or added, not that I'm complaining because he pays us for every change, but I have a feeling that he'll have more changes when we go back on Friday.

Details and pictures when I get home this evening

Pictures 1,2&3 are of the FTA dishes. The Fortec Star is pointed at G19@97W the other dish is pointed at SES1@101W.

Something important that I forgot to mention is that in addition to individual FTA receivers in the classrooms there also is a headend system and a Directv L-band distribution system installed in the building. Most of the channels in the headend system are provided by DirecTV through their world direct dish(picture 4), but we are providing 4(I just talked to the customer I didn't have to wait till Friday for him to make a change) of the channels because DirecTV doesn't carry any thai channels. The receivers we used in the headend system are GEOSATPRO DSR-R100b, to be frank I'm not real impressed with them but they are the only rack mountable receivers I could find.

In the last photo it shows the switches in a clover leaf formation it was the only way I could think of to fit them on the mounting board, but overall I like using the DP34s they offer me the ability to expand the system without reprogramming all the receivers.

Attachments

• 022211_1224[00].jpg
    022211_1224[00].jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 022211_1225[00].jpg
    022211_1225[00].jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 022211_1224[01].jpg
    022211_1224[01].jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 022211_1223[00].jpg
    022211_1223[00].jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 022211_1220[00].jpg
    022211_1220[00].jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 022211_1218[00].jpg
    022211_1218[00].jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 131
May I inquire what issues you have with the GEOSATpro DSR-R100 rack mount receivers? We sell thousands of them for commercial applications and have seldom heard of any issues. We frequently receive comments that they offer reliable operation at a very low cost.

Thank you!

May I inquire what issues you have with the GEOSATpro DSR-R100 rack mount receivers? We sell thousands of them for commercial applications and have seldom heard of any issues. We frequently receive comments that they offer reliable operation at a very low cost.

Thank you!
The problems I've had with them is that we purchased five of them (one was a spare) and three of them have malfunctioned, one was dead out of the box, another the menus can't be used with out restarting it first, and a third the power outlet on the back won't pass power through. Also two of the five remotes are bad.

Don't the DP34's have a "this end up" label on them?
That is only for external use so water is less likely to get in the connections.

Last edited:
Certainly not the norm when it comes to GEOSATpro receivers. Did you buy these receivers new and from Satellite AV or from a reseller? What version of firmware is loaded? Sequential serial numbers?

Sounds like your product got pulled from a RMA unit bin. In the past 12 months have had only 5 RMA receivers and no RMA remotes out of several thousand shipped. There is something certainly wrong with this order. Please immediately contact our service department and we will address these issues!

Not typical for GEOSATpro receivers. Sounds like these units came from an RMA bin and not from active stock. Did you purchase from Satellite AV or from a dealer? What firmware version is installed? Sequential serial numbers? On the unit with the menu reset, perform a factory default to resolve. The power outlet issue may be either a blown fuse link from exceeding the rating or a disconnected plug.

Of the several thousand DSR-R100 units distributed in the past 12 months we have only received 5 RMA receivers and no defective remotes. Please contact our support department immediately and we will work with you to correct these issues.

I purchased them through sadoun satellite sales, and they replaced the doa receiver for me at no cost. What is the difference between you and sadoun? I am soon to be in need of four more rack-mountable receivers and want some thing I can trust.

Sadoun is an authorized distributor and provides excellent service and support. I would not hesitate to recommend and suggest that your future purchases are with Sadoun.

Not sure what has occurred with your purchase, but I assure you that this is not representative of any GEOSATpro product.

Please contact us for support on these receivers. We will be happy to assist.

BTW.... We did recently receive a DOA DSR-R100 RMA from a Sadoun customer. The fuse was blown on the AC input power. Wonder if this was your receiver. Odd that one of your receivers may have a blown AC output. Are you daisy chaining several devices or are all devices being served by a power strip?

When the system was first under construction some of the receivers were chained together because the because the XXL power strip had not arrived yet and we were short outlets. They are all plunged in individually now.

It is possible that in daisy chaining the equipment AC, the maximum rating was exceeded causing the fuses to perform their duty.

Please don't hesitate to contact our support team if we may be of assistance with the GEOSATpro gear.

What exactly is your connection with GeoSAT? Are you an importer, manufacurer, distributer, etc or what? Your web site implies that you design equipment and then contract the manufacturing. Is this correct? Is this true of all the products on your site?

Last edited:
Your web site implies that you design equipment and then contract the manufacturing. Is this correct? Is this true of all the products on your site?
All GEOSATpro branded products are either our design, customized or approved OEM and manufactured under contract. We also stock additional branded products which compliment our product line. These branded products may be imported or domestically available and we are approved distributors for these lines. Also, there are many products that are developed for OEM customers which do not appear on our website or available for our distribution.

Sorry Moderators.... We got this off topic. Please split off if you wish..... :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts