Random Thoughts

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
It is time...

1. The Marlins brought a billy goat onto the field during or before a game against the Cubs last week? What??? Was this their idea of a joke?

2. Yankees/Red Sox again. Lots of exciting action surrounded by such a painfully slow game. Joba and Smoltz both worked at a snail's pace, and were out of there before long. The game dragged on and on. 12 walks from Yankee pitchers...and they won. Jeez. And Jason Varitek, with his 4,000 trips to the mound every inning, and Bernie Williams, with his stepping out of the box for five minutes between every pitch, didn't even play.

3. What happened to all of those amazing arms the Red Sox had coming out of the bullpen only a short while ago? It seemed like every guy threw 100 mph. Billy Traber? I'm sure we'll see their 'A' bullpen tonight...if they're even needed.

4. The Sox resembled the Yankees last night. And versa vice. An old pitcher making a lot of money who underperformed, their big hitters not coming up big when it counted, numerous opportunities squandered, bad long relief, and their reigning MVP getting plunked in the eight inning of a game that is out of hand. Seems like the Yankee recipe of the last few years.

5. Goodness, Pedroia is a little guy. The torque he gets out of that little body is amazing.

6. Has Big Papi said anything about the steroid issue?

7. Mark Shapiro would be a good GM for the Mets.

8. The only thing keeping the Pirates from being the most inept team in baseball is the Expos/Nationals franchise. But the Pirates are coming up fast on the outside. All of the prospects they've traded for the last couple of years will be traded away as soon as they start producing in the major leagues...for more prospects. What a shame for such a storied franchise.

9. Early NBA musings...Shaq will not help the Cavs as much as Drew Carey thinks, but the Cavs really don't need much help. Garnett is still the key in the east, though. The Spurs did the most to help themselves...Jefferson and McDyess are perfect complimentary players, but only if the big three stay healthy. The Heat never did bring anyone to help Wade, did they? Watch out for the Wizards, they could be playoff contenders this year. You heard it hear first.

10. Here are some great movies to check out...The Talented Mr Ripley...excellent, with Matt Damon. Into the Wild...I didn't want it to end. Gone Baby Gone...directed by Ben Affleck, incredibly tense and emotional. You've probably seen it, but I just watched Shawshank Redemption...very good. I love movies where you are never sure what is going to happen next, and those all qualify.

11. Wipeout is awesome. Just awesome. One of the funniest shows on television. 'Good night, and big balls'. :D

12. Has Entourage been slow moving or what? My goodness. I told my boyfriend how great it was, and after watching the first two episodes this season, he's not convinced.

13. Wednesday night watching the Yankees play at Toronto, there are two guys dressed as the umpire sitting in the first row behind home plate...mask and everything. When the Yankees are up they mimic everything the umpire does...his strike calls, getting a new ball out of his pocket after a foul ball, etc. It was hysterical. I only saw the ninth inning, and by that time they had the umpire down perfectly. It looked like three perfectly coreographed umpires!

14. No more Paula Abdul on American Idol? Wow. I was so happy for her journey. :rolleyes:

15. I am personally not ready for some football. You see a preseason game like Steelers-Patriots ready to start, and you're psyched. But then the first string plays two series, and 20 minutes later you're watching guys play who you will hopefully never see in the regular season. And there are still three and a half quarters to go.

16. I met the real life Rudy! He said after the offense went against the coaches orders and scored a touchdown, so they could kick off and Rudy would get a chance to go out on the field, the guy who came up to him and said 'We did this for you' was the guy on the team who hated him most.

17. He also said he hears the Hobbit dude walks through airports and everyone yells 'Rudy' at him, while he walks through airports without quite so much fanfare.

18. I'm already wary of the upcoming Ohio State-USC game. People will say it's still early in Terrelle Pryor's career, and they're right. But that won't make a blowout loss at the horseshoe feel any better. At what point does Pryor stop being Nikolai Zherdev (six years in the NHL and people still talk about his wonderful potential), and start leading us to big national victories? Hopefully that day.

19. Don't tell anyone, but the Manasquan inlet is the best place to go at the Jersey shore. Just across the inlet from hustling Point Pleasant, with all of it's rides, games, and restaurants on the boardwalk. Down the road from beautiful Belmar, which packs in the college crowd and those reliving their college days. Up the road from Seaside Heights, which is like Point Pleasant on steroids. Manasquan inlet has a gorgeous walkway where you can watch the boats heading into and out of the ocean, a rock jetty that goes so far into the sea that at night you feel like you're way out in the ocean when you're at the end of it, just a few seafood and ice cream shops in case you need something, and the most gorgeous sunsets on the east coast over the inner harbor.

20. And there are no bennies! I'm a Jersey shore girl, and if you're from the Jersey shore, you appreciate what that means. No bennies is a very good thing...;)

Sandra

12. Has Entourage been slow moving or what? My goodness. I told my boyfriend how great it was, and after watching the first two episodes this season, he's not convinced.

It's not you. Entourage has been dull this season. For a show that's all about Hollywood what they're missing is the drug angle. I say it's high time that Drama got himself a good cocaine addiction. That would liven things up. :D

20. And there are no bennies! I'm a Jersey shore girl, and if you're from the Jersey shore, you appreciate what that means. No bennies is a very good thing...;)

You're not into this?

jersey_guido_motivational.jpg

It's not you. Entourage has been dull this season. For a show that's all about Hollywood what they're missing is the drug angle. I say it's high time that Drama got himself a good cocaine addiction. That would liven things up. :D

You're not into this?

Well bennies aren't always guidos or even italian, they span the ethnic landscape actually. ;)

Sandra

I know but this was a pretty good representation. :D

It's really more the Hollywood version of what they think Guidos are like, but it's still funny. Real-life bennies look relatively normal but it's their annual invasion of our area we're not fond of.

Sandra

It is time...

1. The Marlins brought a billy goat onto the field during or before a game against the Cubs last week? What??? Was this their idea of a joke? Apparently, it backfired because they were just swept by the Nationals!

6. Has Big Papi said anything about the steroid issue? Supposedly, he is set to say something this week...WHAT can he possibly say? The ONLY reason people are not RIPPING him as bad as Manny is because they LIKE Big Pappi.

8. The only thing keeping the Pirates from being the most inept team in baseball is the Expos/Nationals franchise. But the Pirates are coming up fast on the outside. All of the prospects they've traded for the last couple of years will be traded away as soon as they start producing in the major leagues...for more prospects. What a shame for such a storied franchise. I don't know if I would say inept....they just do not have the money to keep their good players. HOW is that inept? Reality is, they cannot compete.

9. Early NBA musings...Shaq will not help the Cavs as much as Drew Carey thinks, but the Cavs really don't need much help. Garnett is still the key in the east, though. The Spurs did the most to help themselves...Jefferson and McDyess are perfect complimentary players, but only if the big three stay healthy. The Heat never did bring anyone to help Wade, did they? Watch out for the Wizards, they could be playoff contenders this year. You heard it hear first. Heat never could knock down the 1st domino, and that was Odom....IF he would have came down, Boozer was next. As it played out, Odom played Reilly for more money and that's exactly what happened.....can you say what comes around, goes around for trading Odom in the 1st place?:(

11. Wipeout is awesome. Just awesome. One of the funniest shows on television. 'Good night, and big balls'. :D My son LOVES this show!! He counts the days when it comes on again! He also LOVED "I survived a Japanese game show".

12. Has Entourage been slow moving or what? My goodness. I told my boyfriend how great it was, and after watching the first two episodes this season, he's not convinced. The show has turned into "Friends" with a little swearing and some brief nudity. It's awful!

18. I'm already wary of the upcoming Ohio State-USC game. People will say it's still early in Terrelle Pryor's career, and they're right. But that won't make a blowout loss at the horseshoe feel any better. At what point does Pryor stop being Nikolai Zherdev (six years in the NHL and people still talk about his wonderful potential), and start leading us to big national victories? Hopefully that day. Try starting the season with AT FSU, Georgia Tech, AT VaTech and Oklahoma...

Sandra

I still love what Anders posted about bennies...too damn funny and a ton of memories from living up in the northeast.

13. Wednesday night watching the Yankees play at Toronto, there are two guys dressed as the umpire sitting in the first row behind home plate...mask and everything. When the Yankees are up they mimic everything the umpire does...his strike calls, getting a new ball out of his pocket after a foul ball, etc. It was hysterical. I only saw the ninth inning, and by that time they had the umpire down perfectly. It looked like three perfectly coreographed umpires!
They're season ticket holders. TSN Sportscentre (Canada) had a story on them this past week. Both guys umped baseball games (from little league to high school games) and they just get a kick out of it. They went to Washington to watch the Jays play the Nats and they got to ump the "presidents race" and they were privileged to "eject" George Washington :)

They're season ticket holders. TSN Sportscentre (Canada) had a story on them this past week. Both guys umped baseball games (from little league to high school games) and they just get a kick out of it. They went to Washington to watch the Jays play the Nats and they got to ump the "presidents race" and they were privileged to "eject" George Washington :)
And, those are authentic MLB umpire uniforms. They got them from a retired ump....

I still love what Anders posted about bennies...too damn funny and a ton of memories from living up in the northeast.
I'll be here all week. :D And you're right about Entourage. If I wanted to watch stories about Turtle and his girlfriend and Ari's family I'd watch Lifetime. :eek:

I'll be here all week. :D And you're right about Entourage. If I wanted to watch stories about Turtle and his girlfriend and Ari's family I'd watch Lifetime. :eek:

Truth be told....the Ari character was the ONLY reason I ever watched. He is the funniest character in a sitcom since George Costanza....at least IMHO.

Truth be told....the Ari character was the ONLY reason I ever watched. He is the funniest character in a sitcom since George Costanza....at least IMHO.

I love Ari too.

Other funny characters:

Sheldon (Big Bang Theory)
Tommy Gavin (Rescue Me)
The 'One-Up' Lady (Saturday Night Live)
Hank Moody (Californication)
Liz Lemon & Jack Donaghy (30 Rock)

Matt Saracen from Friday Night Lights gets his own category...funny, heart warming, and so very real. My favorite character on television! Coach Taylor is also a great character, although funny he's not. ;)

Sandra

8. The only thing keeping the Pirates from being the most inept team in baseball is the Expos/Nationals franchise. But the Pirates are coming up fast on the outside. All of the prospects they've traded for the last couple of years will be traded away as soon as they start producing in the major leagues...for more prospects. What a shame for such a storied franchise.
The Pirates are worse. At least Washington has fimsished .500 or better this decade!

9. Early NBA musings...Shaq will not help the Cavs as much as Drew Carey thinks, but the Cavs really don't need much help. Garnett is still the key in the east, though. The Spurs did the most to help themselves...Jefferson and McDyess are perfect complimentary players, but only if the big three stay healthy. The Heat never did bring anyone to help Wade, did they? Watch out for the Wizards, they could be playoff contenders this year. You heard it hear first.
And what about your Knickerbockers?

15. I am personally not ready for some football. You see a preseason game like Steelers-Patriots ready to start, and you're psyched. But then the first string plays two series, and 20 minutes later you're watching guys play who you will hopefully never see in the regular season. And there are still three and a half quarters to go.
And yet the regular roster players have no problem playing Spring Training baseball.

18. I'm already wary of the upcoming Ohio State-USC game. People will say it's still early in Terrelle Pryor's career, and they're right. But that won't make a blowout loss at the horseshoe feel any better. At what point does Pryor stop being Nikolai Zherdev (six years in the NHL and people still talk about his wonderful potential), and start leading us to big national victories? Hopefully that day.
I don't think USC will win that game. They lost Sanchez and most of their defense, have two unproven QB's, and an inconsistent offense. Plus, after last year, OSU will be out for blood.

Sandra -

Very jealous that you met Rudy. Easily one of my top sports movies ever - it's great.

1 - I'm tired of the whole "Cubs are cursed" deal. The Cubs were run by an inept Wrigley family for years, and then morphed by the Tribune Company into this loveable loser deal on TV and a large outdoor yuppie bar at the live gate. They are not cursed.

6 - Didn't he forget how to speak English, like Sosa did. The next time somebody pulls that, I would like some Spanish speaking person just ask them the same questions.

8 - The Pirates do not have the best management, but they are not inept. They are just trying to survive in the broken Selig economic system.

14 - AI : OVER. Next fad please.

15 - Exhibition NFL is the biggest scam in the world. They take people who will not be playing in September, dress them in uniforms of NFL teams, and have them play meaningless games in baseball season. And people watch it on TV, buy tickets for it, and even gamble on it like it was real.

9.18. I'm already wary of the upcoming Ohio State-USC game. People will say it's still early in Terrelle Pryor's career, and they're right. But that won't make a blowout loss at the horseshoe feel any better. At what point does Pryor stop being Nikolai Zherdev (six years in the NHL and people still talk about his wonderful potential), and start leading us to big national victories? Hopefully that day.

As a Michigan Fan hopefully never :), but in all seriousness he had a nice start last year had some freshman moments, it will be intresting to see year two this year!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts