Receive AMC-3 in Greenland

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

PaPdyr

Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Ilulissat, Greenland
Hi everybody.

I'm living in Ilulissat, Greenland. I have for many years been interested in space exploration.

Today I just saw NASA had switched satellite for their broadcast of live shuttle missions. I need some help to find out if it's possible for me to receive the signal at my location, i'm a total newbie in satellite tv. I do know the meaning of most of the terms used however.

Here's link to all the information I collected so far:
Info from NASA: NASA - NASA Television Satellite Information
Info on coverage: SES WORLD SKIES - AMC-3

This is the exact house I live in: 69.219370, -51.098920 - Google Maps

Can someone tell me if i'm able to receive som signal, and if so what size dish I may need?

Thanks for all your assistance! Regards,
Rasmus Hansen

Welcome to SatelliteGuys

:welcome

First off Welcome to SatelliteGuys!!!

According to LyngSat Maps you would need a dish between 225 and 285 CM, but you might want to go a bit bigger as this is the minimum size dish to get AMC3.

http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/amc3_c.html

I'm just getting into C-Band but some of the more experienced guys will also weigh in.

Best of Success!!

Here is some setup info from Dishpointer.com. Looks like you would be aiming about 8 degrees above the horizon at your location.

Dish Setup Data Latitude: 69.2194°
Longitude: -51.0989°
Name: 87.0W AMC 3​
Elevation: 8.1°
Azimuth (true): 217.7°
Azimuth (magn.): 252.6°
LNB Skew [?]: 12.5°
arrow-l.png
arrow-r.png

Dish Skew [?]: 90.0°
arrow-l.png
arrow-r.png

Do you have any hills/buildings, etc. in the direction of the sat that may block your view?

Here is some setup info from Dishpointer.com. Looks like you would be aiming about 8 degrees above the horizon at your location.

Dish Setup Data Latitude: 69.2194°
Longitude: -51.0989°

Name: 87.0W AMC 3​

Elevation: 8.1°
Azimuth (true): 217.7°

Do you have any hills/buildings, etc. in the direction of the sat that may block your view?

Depending how much ground around your house is yours, from the google sat photo with a little strategic dish positioning I reckon you might manage that elevation. Use google the sat view and plot the azimuth to see if you have an uninterupted view to the sat.

Likely need a 10 foot or 3m dish and hope there is no hill to your SW. Might have to place the dish on a platform or structure to get it above nearby buildings and hill if required. Might be a major operation up there... Hope you have a source for a dish nearby.
-C.

I believe that the information on dish size provided by Lyngsat is a minimum size required to receive a particular transponder at full strength.

If I'm wrong in this, hopefully somebody will correct me. Shipping something to Greenland doesn't sound inexpensive to me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts