Recordings to external hard drives?

How so?

The new card is NOT required for EA programming. That is to say that people without the card have EA programming. Perhaps I am misunderstanding you?

What receiver do you have and what software version do you have that shows the EXT option. My 622s do not have this option.

And I thought the EXT option (I've seen it discussed before) was for something other than an external hard drive, more for a VCR or PocketDish, in that it just turns the box on and tunes to the correct channel so some other device can record the program.

In regard to your last post, you'll note my first response included "to my knowledge". :)

722 (my claim only extends to the 722, which is the receiver mentioned in the OP - I have no idea about any others) and 6.14, I think - whatever was current about a week ago....and nothing wrong with explicitly caveating comments. I just mentally insert them as a service to others.;)

722 (my claim only extends to the 722, which is the receiver mentioned in the OP - I have no idea about any others) and 6.14, I think - whatever was current about a week ago....and nothing wrong with explicitly caveating comments. I just mentally insert them as a service to others.;)

So you have actually done what you stated in that post, it was not just hypothetical steps to do it?

If it does what you say, how come more people aren't talking about it and using this feature?

I have 6.14 on my 622.

Last edited:
How so?

The new card is NOT required for EA programming. That is to say that people without the card have EA programming. Perhaps I am misunderstanding you?

"New card" means new security level card, ie DNASP 241 vs 206, regardless external or internal placement.

Smith is right, EA channels on 72 are using Nagravision 3 encryption which is only supported by the new cards.

I know nothing about the supposed "record direct to EHD" but I will try it out.

Does this record-out in a format that can be read by my PC? Or is it some proprietary format that'll only work with the DVR?

Thank you!

Now that I have the setting I'll create a timer as EXT and try for myself to record directly to the EHD just as RayG said. But I'm not holding my breath it will work.

As expected, timer fires up and switches TV1 to the channel, but nothing is recorded to either the internal HD or EHD.

So I'm back to it is not possible to record directly to the EHD. RayG?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)