Retro Jams gone??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Does anyone know of a AC-3 to analog converter that I could put between a FTA receiver and my old, but trusty stereo?

I use a Creative Labs extigy external sound card. Doesnt require a computer to work for decoding ac-3, and so far I am very happy with it.

Yep... that's the cheapest converter out there that I know of unless you find a special somewhere. On ebay, I got mine pretty cheap by looking for items with the word Creative Labs or extigy in it. If you use search for the word soundblaster, it seems like the auction prices go up a lot faster since a lot of people seem to be after soundblaster stuff but not necessarily extigy or creative labs auctions that are selling the same thing but don't have the soundblaster keyword in the auction anywhere.

OK, so if I were to replace my Coship 3188C with a Fortec Star Lifetime Classic NA and a Extigy soundcard along with an optical cable and the minijack to RCA adaptors I should be able to plumb TheTube (and others) broadcasting Dolby digital into my vintage stereo system, right?

I use the DVB World USB receiver for The Tube, it plays AC-3 audio straight through the PC speakers from there you can send it anywhere!

Seems like a lot less bother! (Also does 4:2:2 )

Hi Iceberg.Iam new to this site but remember you fromSadoun site.
That tube tv channel if it is the same one seems to change to RTN at certain times.
Reinhold.

N0QBH said:
OK, so if I were to replace my Coship 3188C with a Fortec Star Lifetime Classic NA and a Extigy soundcard along with an optical cable and the minijack to RCA adaptors I should be able to plumb TheTube (and others) broadcasting Dolby digital into my vintage stereo system, right?
Correct, that is what I am doing.

Reinhold said:
Hi Iceberg.Iam new to this site but remember you fromSadoun site.
That tube tv channel if it is the same one seems to change to RTN at certain times.
Reinhold.
What you are talking about is Retro Jams. Retro Jams replaced the Tube on ku-band a while back, and have since moved to C-band. Also the Tube can still be found on C-band. RTN stations have a 2 hour show for calling in your favorite video to be played on a Retro Jams show, for those stations.

Al

I have Tube TV on11720-27692.
I had Retro Jams this morning onKEGS Las Vegas
11718-27019 and
11720-27692.
Reinhold.

Reinhold said:
I have Tube TV on11720-27692.
I had Retro Jams this morning onKEGS Las Vegas
11718-27019 and
11720-27692.
Reinhold.
Reinhold, the Tube is no longer there. It was replaced by Retro Jams, which has since been replaced by KWCE, it's an RTN affilliate station. It will show the RTN 2 hour call-in program for live Retro Jams. The show you caught on KEGS is that show, it could have probably been a replay of it.

Al

actually a couple of the stations (KEGS & WPXS) have a 1hr block of "Retro Jams" during the day. WPXS has it at 1PM & 10PM Central time. They just use the same feed as what is on G3 :)

Reinhold...if you delete the channel that says "TheTubeTV" and rescan it will log that channel right (KCWE RTN) :)

actually on Page 3 of this thread I had the same issue with TheTubeTV on the screen

Bought a Fortec Classic and a new sound system that is Dolby Digital ready.
Now watching TheTube in style (as well as a bunch of other AC-3 stuff my old system wouldn't decode).
Thanks for the advice etc.

I noticed a commerical on WUHF Fox Rochester last night saying that The Tube is coming to WUHF-DT on digital tuner 31.2. I don't know what that means because as far as I know TV channels don't have decimal places :confused:

Regardless, I hope for all you Tube fans this doesn't mean that they're going to start encrypting it on C-band.

Digital channel

WUHF is owned by SINClair and one of their subchannels is going to be the tube

Digital channels they can split the bandwidth into different channels (just like 4DTV can put more channels on a TP versus analog)

So as an example, here in Minneapolis the WB station just added it (They’re also owned by Sinclair) and its set up as such
23-1 is the SD/HD version of analog 23
23-2 is The Tube

if I want the tube, I hit 23.2 on the remote

Some stations have 24 hour weather on sub channels (our ABC & NBC do). PBS has a lot (like PBS Sprout, West coast feed, etc) on subchannels.

Interesting, this is new to me. I don't believe any of our current TV providers in Manitoba (Bell, Starchoice, Shaw Cable, MTS TV) use this technology. All channels use whole numbers, so any approved "sub channels" would have to go on their own number.

Kymics
Its only OTA channels. What happens is the digital channels have different spots on the dial than their analog counterpart (as an example, Channel 5 has their digital channel on 50) but they map to the normal channel 5.

The digital channels allow multicasting. The pro is they can use one channel (think transponder) for multiple channels. The con is some channels have a bad picture. Also since its digital, its all or nothing. No snow.

Here is an example. Below is the list of the analog & digital channels for Minneapolis
http://radiostationworld.com/locations/United_States_of_America/Minnesota/tv_information.asp?m=min

The light blue are the digital channels and as you can see there are different programs on the subchannels. Usually one channel is a HD or SD version of the analog channel (the -1 channel)

kymics said:
Interesting, this is new to me. I don't believe any of our current TV providers in Manitoba (Bell, Starchoice, Shaw Cable, MTS TV) use this technology. All channels use whole numbers, so any approved "sub channels" would have to go on their own number.

Comcast in Boston does like Canada then. All whole numbers. The PBS channels (4 of them) are all on the cable as whole numbers interspersed in the 200s

same here for Time Warner in Mpls. The 4 PBS stations are all different numbers. Its just OTA that has the "dot" numbers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts