Review of Manhattan RS-1933

IMO, It is not a good idea to load a file that was pulled because it was removed for a reason.
New firmware should be available for this receiver soon. If you load the pulled firmware from July, you will have to redo some things in your receiver. Then when new updated firmware is released, you will have to update your receiver again. My .02. GregH

IMO, It is not a good idea to load a file that was pulled because it was removed for a reason.
New firmware should be available for this receiver soon. If you load the pulled firmware from July, you will have to redo some things in your receiver. Then when new updated firmware is released, you will have to update your receiver again. My .02. GregH

Greg, I fully expect to load every version that comes out, to see what progress is being made, and to get the "feel" of it. It's always a risk to load new software, no question about that. It takes about two hours from loading the software until I have everything in my LOS scanned back in. I've got the time. :) Your warning is appropriate, though.

Greg, I fully expect to load every version that comes out, to see what progress is being made, and to get the "feel" of it. It's always a risk to load new software, no question about that. It takes about two hours from loading the software until I have everything in my LOS scanned back in. I've got the time. :) Your warning is appropriate, though.

Brent, I will second what Greg said..you may have the time, but as mentioned those files were pulled for a reason..I would like to advise you to be Patient and wait for the new file.

What happened is pretty simple.
They started out with a 2MB receiver and then changed to a 4MB version. But when they rewrote the 7-15 file for the 4MB receiver, some of the 2MB code was left in it.
So they ended up doing a total re-write of the firmware and this has taken some time.

New firmware should be available for this receiver soon.

Since I just received my receiver a few days ago, I'd like to know where to find the official releases when they are available. Will they be posted on the manhattan website in the support section or is there some other place to go?

Well, The Manhattan website has a download section, so that'd be my first guess. Also the Legitfta forum I expect to stock the updates , as they become available. I'm sure we'll hear about it when it happens. :)

Thanks I will check it out tonight when I get home.

Have you tried it yet, Scott ? I've been running it for several days, just handling my Gbox and C-band . It works okay. It'll be interesting to see the next generation of software that comes out. My thoughts are that , at the very least, it needs to be able to dump the existing configuration and channels to the usb stick. That way, you can guard against losing everything if you need to reload the software, for whatever reason. :)

No I haven't had a chance to yet.

I do hope the new software comes out soon.

While I do like the box in comparing to the Openboxes I do not find anything that warrants the extra $100 premium price so at this point there is nothing premium about it.

139 for the openbox... 179 for the Manhattan... from the same site... How does 40 bucks difference translate to 100 bucks difference??? Both receivers at this certian site was without shipping. Have a great day!

I should add... A total re-write of any firmware takes about a month. So it should be soon for the manhattan provided there are no setbacks. Have a grat day!

I expect that with the "total re-write" we'll also have new incubation period of problems and fixes. That goes with the territory. :) The 7/11 version is working well enough for me, but I'd like more ( Diseqc/motor fix primarily) . I can be patient, it works. If this is the worst it gets, it's worth the money , since I need a receiver to co-exist with the Solomend, with no remote conflcts. The Manhattan does well. :)

No I haven't had a chance to yet.

I do hope the new software comes out soon.

While I do like the box in comparing to the Openboxes I do not find anything that warrants the extra $100 premium price so at this point there is nothing premium about it.

I have been real tempted to order one of these(almost did), but I think I will wait a couple months. As of right now I have no major probs with my Openbox s10. Just wish I could manually enter PIDs from remote, but I used the editor to do it on the computer. (Only reason I've needed that so far is CW on G17).

139 for the openbox... 179 for the Manhattan... from the same site... How does 40 bucks difference translate to 100 bucks difference??? Both receivers at this certian site was without shipping. Have a great day!
I am sorry, but have gotten a number of offers for the S10 for $99.

But that does not matter, a $79 difference or a $40 difference there is still no extra value that I can see in paying more for a half baked Manhattan. I would tell people who are going to be buying a box to wait on getting one and HOPE that someday the software becomes usable. This box was released unfinished and that it the truth pure and simple. All the benefits of the Manhattan that have been told so far are just fairytales.

Another thing (and don't take this the wrong way Stone I REALLY appreciate your help on things) but where the hell is Jeff Schumann? Why is he hiding and making you act like the corporate spokes person for his product? Come on Jeff we know your reading, if you really want to support this product like you say you do then then start posting. You need not worried that your not a sponsor, I don't care about that... I care about the FTA community.

So Jeff if you really believe in this product and want to see t grow you are going to need to start participating here and walking the walk instead of just talking the talk.

Again as of TODAY (and I hope this changes very soon) the Manhattan is NOT worth the extra money... period.

I should add... A total re-write of any firmware takes about a month. So it should be soon for the manhattan provided there are no setbacks. Have a grat day!

How is changing a few lines of code a total rewrite?

They didn't start from scratch on the code again.. that would be a total rewrite.

I'm still waiting on mine. Jeff is suppose to be sending me one....I guess he's waiting until the software in implemented...why not send one now?

Hell I dont mind half baked recievers. Most of them I've worked with ARE that way. The Coolsat 8000 had no Sat software in it when I got it :eek:

All I know is what was said here before... There was a change between 4 meg and 2 meg in the receiver. So the code was going to get a complete going over. That's all I know.....

Now lets get this through everyones thick head.........I am not a spokesman for ANYONE! This thing that everyone seems to think about me being a spokesman needs to STOP! I am only a guy that was asked to check things out and report shortcommings and refinements that were needed. Pure and simple. If the spokesman stuff don't stop, you guys can ask for help someplace else. It won't be from me anymore. Now not to yell, but so everyone sees what I am saying........

ALL RECEIVERS ARE A WORK IN PROGRESS! NONE THAT I AM AWARE OF HAVE BEEN RELEASED FINNISHED! I CHALLENGE ANYONE TO NAME JUST ONE THAT WAS PERFECT OUT OF THE STARTING GATE AND CONSIDERED FINNISHED! ................

I believe the openbox is NOT FINNISHED TO THIS DATE! Yet people here seem to push them.... Even the Pansats with all their troubles are NOT FINNISHED!!!!! Those guys don't hardly ever come out and fix things now do they??? THEY ALL HAVE TROUBLES!!!! They were all released initially "Not Finnished"! And years later still have troubles. Everyone here and elsewhere takes the attitude that things are junk unless things are made to their personal specs and are perfect the first time out. Well my friends life don't work that way and there is no reason to expect it to be that way with this receiver or the next big thing that hits the consumer. Thinking that way is the real FANTASY LAND RESEDENT.

My point is simple... We in this hobby need a receiver that is made for us and not Europe. The Manhattan is at least being presented as such. GIVE THEM A CHANCE! If you can't do that, then don't buy one till the things you want fixed are fixed! I mean where is the talk about how the AZbox is "NOT FINNISHED" They can't even keep you tube going and seem to have their own set of issues. How long have they been out???? Where is the slam talk about that?.... I can go on with every receiver out there.

People that write code know their stuff. If you write code then have at it. Read the chip and write. Unless you do, Don't tell me how long it takes and don't tell the people that are doing it how long it takes. As far as Jeff is concerned, he is the one trying to put this together, Where does anyone get off accusing him of hiding just because he might not visit every site out there??? He has been active in communicating with those he set up to do so. If you don't like that... Tuff. He chose a different forum to do the testing and developement and this forum was not it.... No offense here but the world won't end because Sat Guys didn't get to review a receiver.... Ever hear of too many cheifs and not enough indians????? He set things up the way he chose to for his reasons. I am not here to question why, and nobody else is either.....

Now then. Since everyone here wants to complain about my comments everytime I share some info, I will not be sharing any onfo for awhile. Think what you want. I really don't need this crap and I really don't care about what anyone thinks. I will wait and apply any changes that are made to my receiver. If they work and fix things great! If we get a 6 months to a year down the road like the Openbox s series and there is still problems, Then I will add this receiver to the unfinnished catagory... But until then this receiver gets the same treatment by me that my unfinnished 9200, my unfinnished 3500, my unfinnished Viewsat, and yes my unfinnished 4DTV receiver gets..... AN EVEN CHANCE WITHOUT BEING JUDGED TILL IT IS TIME TO JUDGE!

Now that I have thouruoghly vented my frustrations.......... Have a great day!

So basically Stone are you saying "yes this box is a piece of sh*t because its not done yet" and "Wahhhhhhhh"?

When a product is released then it is time to be judged. PERIOD.

This box was released and was judged, and since you dont like what people (myself included) about it because its half baked and because we are telling the truth about our HONEST feelings about the box you are saying your taking your ball and going home.

Of course missing from all this is Jeff who is still hiding... Come out come out whereever you are Jeff.

I'm still waiting on mine. Jeff is suppose to be sending me one....I guess he's waiting until the software in implemented...why not send one now?

Hell I dont mind half baked recievers. Most of them I've worked with ARE that way. The Coolsat 8000 had no Sat software in it when I got it :eek:

By george we have a winner!!! There is someone that actually understands!!! Most of them are half baked anyways.....
ICE you are a hope to mankind..... If Jeff said he would... I am confident he will. I am still waiting on the new firmware along with the others that are playing with this box. We will get it Tested and then it will be released. That's all I know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)