Rsn And Nesnhd Alert!!!!! OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
BFG said:
It is a technical limitation. They only have room to place the channel on a spot beam, which only covers boston.

gees folks kuitchurbitchin
But aren't these spot beams configurable in the sense they can cover a larger area? The spot beam for San Francisco could probably cover MA, RI, CT, and NYC easily.

I think it's more of a market specific issue rather than a technical issue, I'll bet the actual signal is being beamed right into all those states and communities but only Boston registered STBs have been activated to receive the channel. Just take a Boston STB to CT and I'll bet it gets the channel.

You can probably get the boston hd spot beam easily in hartford, and even toward nyc....a lot of people will be "moving".

I am looking into it right now. Its 112 miles by road to Fenway and problably less then 100 the way the crow flies. I have transponders lit up on 103 so its worth the gamble. Dont need locals since get them OTA.

Brewer4 said:
I am looking into it right now. Its 112 miles by road and problably less then 100 the way the crow flies. I have transponders lit up on 103 so its worth the gamble. Dont need locals since get them OTA.

dude, i'm in wallingford, let us know how you make out, and what needs to be done.

ScoBuck said:
No your not - TVBob is ALSO.

You really need to get a life. No one cares, even it were true.

It's a plasma tv by the way, the other mpeg 4 networks have plenty of issues, though this blurring is a new one for me....even compared to sports on abc, nbc etc.

I moved to Boston and you can get both the HD locals and NESN with the spotbeams east of the Connecticut River. I cant vouch for anything on the other side. I am about 90-100 miles the way the crow flies from Fenway. I had to reset the H20 a few times for it to finally figure out it "moved".

The replay of the game last night is beautiful. I didnt want to do it this way but D* and their stupid whatever forced me to. Cant be technical spotbeam cuz I proved it wrong.

Its the zip code database they are told to use along with the spot bean coverage.

1. If you are in the beam and in the zip code database they were sent you are good to go.

2. If you are in the beam, but your zip code was excluded from the list they were sent you are screwed unless you "move" into an included zip code as above; or until your zip code is added to their included list.

3. If you are outside of the beam, say Seattle in this NESN example, then you know your story.

NESN or any other company saying its a "DBS technical limitation" is just BS'ing you instead of saying "our contract currently limits their redistribution of our HD feed to areas we specify"!

Last edited:
charper1 said:
Its the zip code database they are told to use.
Exactly, and until DirecTV gets around to updating the database with markets other than Boston that should get NESN, they will go without.

So, I suppose it could be called a "technical problem" although it shouldn't be too technical to enter numbers in a database. :D

They are provided (TOLD) what zip codes are where and get what, they do not make them up. I would bet money they update just as soon as they get newer lists; at least that night in a batched update process.

Brewer4 said:
I moved to Boston and you can get both the HD locals and NESN with the spotbeams east of the Connecticut River. I cant vouch for anything on the other side. I am about 90-100 miles the way the crow flies from Fenway. I had to reset the H20 a few times for it to finally figure out it "moved".

The replay of the game last night is beautiful. I didnt want to do it this way but D* and their stupid whatever forced me to. Cant be technical spotbeam cuz I proved it wrong.

how did you "move" without them coming to the house? I was thinking about "moving" too, but I thought there would be no way for me to do it without them coming over.

Also, how did you get a 5lnb? Are you in the boston market or did you just buy one on your own. I live in MA but in southern ma, so for whatever reason I am considered to be in the Providence market.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
They are provided (TOLD) what zip codes are where and get what, they do not make them up. I would bet money they update just as soon as they get newer lists; at least that night in a batched update process.
Yes, your answer is more specific than mine. One does have to wonder though why they didn't start off with an accurate list. Unless DirecTV's software is constructed in such a way that they can't add zips that are not under the master list for that area, Boston being the area in this case.

keenan said:
Yes, your answer is more specific than mine. One does have to wonder though why they didn't start off with an accurate list. Unless DirecTV's software is constructed in such a way that they can't add zips that are not under the master list for that area, Boston being the area in this case.

Well, since users are NEVER privy to contract terms we will never know what they are being told to do by the affiliates for HD LIL or by the RSN for their HD feeds.

They (affiliates/RSNs) absolutely fear the public knowing what terms they hold (or ask) DBS providers to.

I was wondering if any Mets fans were watching SNY-HD tonight. The guide say it is on. Also, is Comcast Chicago and Mid Atlantic lit up? I did another check of zip codes on D*'s website. Pike County, PA, which is 20 miles from me, is considered the NYC DMA. They are supposed to get both the Yankees (ch 96) and Mets (ch 97) tonight. We are getting ch 95 and that's it.

I just thought of something. Is it possible to "move" via DirecTV.com? I just wouldn't feel right "lying" to a live person, but wouldn't feel so bad doing it online. :)

Cant do it online. You have to do it via phone. I hate doing it too. Feels kinda creepy but I am a legit paying subscriber so I dont feel anything illegal is occuring. Shouldnt have to be this way but this isnt the first time Hartford market has been passed over or not given priority status.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts