RSN Lack of HD (STO Ohio)

They can't put RSN's on spotbeam because of NHL CI, NBA LP etc. Those packages use the RSN feeds IIRC.

That really comes down to how profitable those packages are for Dish. I personally wouldn't mind if they went spot beam as I don't subscribe to CI or LP but my guess is those packages make dish a lot of money otherwise they would be gone by now.

Yes, but people dont care about this, what they care about is seeing their RSN in HD 24/7. Here in the Chicago land area, our RSN is on in hd for about 75 percent of the time. I know its the same for all the NYC RSN's. Dish is going to have to put them up in HD soon, or they will continue to shed subs. This is one reason why dish is doing so badley. While dish may have their reasons, they need to re think what they are doing, and look at what the competition is doing. I havent seen a provider other than dish that doesnt have that persons rsn in HD including the alternate channels. Here where I live, Uverse has it, Comcast has it, Directv has it. The only one who doesnt is dish. I see more directv dish's popping up then dish network.

Bob

We do have one RSN in HD in NY - SNY HD (NY Mets - game content only).

The others available in SD are:

MSG & MSG +

The MSG’s include all NY Ranger, NY Islander and NJ Devil games as well as the NY Knicks. The Rangers aren’t likely to go far in the playoffs and some of the games in the first 2 rounds are going to be picked up by NBC. The Kincks are…well…done, so these channels are about to become useless until next NHL/NBA seasons start. Not to mention the legal issues between Dish & the Dolan’s. I don’t know when these contracts are up but I would not expect any movement on Cablevision owned RSN’s in HD any time soon.

YES network (NY Yankees and NJ Nets) is not available at all and, well that’s another whole discussion.

Out of the 4, that leaves us with 1 HD - 2 SD and no Yes Network. It’s been this way for a few years now, and they don’t seem to really care at all!

Bob

We do have one RSN in HD in NY - SNY HD (NY Mets - game content only).

The others available in SD are:

MSG & MSG +

The MSG’s include all NY Ranger, NY Islander and NJ Devil games as well as the NY Knicks. The Rangers aren’t likely to go far in the playoffs and some of the games in the first 2 rounds are going to be picked up by NBC. The Kincks are…well…done, so these channels are about to become useless until next NHL/NBA seasons start. Not to mention the legal issues between Dish & the Dolan’s. I don’t know when these contracts are up but I would not expect any movement on Cablevision owned RSN’s in HD any time soon.

YES network (NY Yankees and NJ Nets) is not available at all and, well that’s another whole discussion.

Out of the 4, that leaves us with 1 HD - 2 SD and no Yes Network. It’s been this way for a few years now, and they don’t seem to really care at all!

That not only applies to the NY City market, but the entire state including the Buffalo Area, where the Buffalo Sabres appear on MSG-B. Dish does fortunately give us STO (Cleveland Indians) and if you sub to Multisport you will get FSN-Pit (Pittsburgh Pirates)games, because Baseball claims the Buffalo Area is the DMA of the Mets, Yankees, Indians and Pirates. However the team that is only 75 miles away over the border (Toronto Blue Jays), MLB claims that they don't get Buffalo for its DMA. None of this really makes sense, except the actual teams that I want in HD, Sabres, Yankees and Blue Jays, are only gonna be broadcast on Dish when they are on National Feed.

I see the Twins vs. Redsox game tonight (4/21) will not be in HD on FSN North. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Yes it is. Both FSN and NESN are carrying the game in HD. It may be an an alternate channel on Dish.

TWINS Schedule

To clarify, the game will not be shown in HD on Dish Network. Every time I have seen a game on an alternate channel EPG it is blacked out. So bottom line, it will not be in HD for those in the FSN North area.

Now I'm curious, what is the point of the HDALT channels anyway?

To clarify, the game will not be shown in HD on Dish Network. Every time I have seen a game on an alternate channel EPG it is blacked out. So bottom line, it will not be in HD for those in the FSN North area.

Then that is a Dish issue that I know nothing about. Those with other providers will be able to see it.

Even I can see it in HD here in LA on FSN-North

DIRECTV - MLB EXTRA INNINGS Schedule

My guess is that it has to due with the limited bandwidth of your HD RSNs on Dish. They can only put up so many at one time and since Hockey is going on at the same time, it limits what they can put up.

So even though the game will be broadcast in HD by FS North due to bandwith issues Dish with show the game only in SD on FS North correct ?? :confused:

so lack of space is why Dish does not carry anything on STO in HD besides most Indian games? STO is full-time HD and have a few original programs in HD.

It probably has more to do with Dish only allowing so much bandwidth for RSNs no matter how much free space they currently have. By only turning on some HD feeds some of the time, instead of having them on all of the time like DirecTV does (the feed is always on even when the content is being blacked out), it frees up bandwidth for other stations. This does come at a cost of some games, especially in April when Basketball, Hockey, and Baseball are going on.

It probably has more to do with Dish only allowing so much bandwidth for RSNs no matter how much free space they currently have.

Exactly. Those with the proper equipment will tell you that Dish has plenty of bandwidth available. They are choosing to not dedicate enough of it to HD RSN feeds to cover all of the games. And like I said before, I have no idea why they are doing this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts