RV Setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

scnewps

Original poster
Mar 5, 2021
Montana
Setting up an RV system so I have some questions.

1.) I have a couple Slimline dishes. The LNB's are not SWM. Can I just get an SL5s LNB for my existing dish? I see one on ebay that includes the power supply and splitter.

2.) Is the difference between an SL3s and SL5s that the 5 receives the two satellites that send the local channel spot beams?

Setting up an RV system so I have some questions.

1.) I have a couple Slimline dishes. The LNB's are not SWM. Can I just get an SL5s LNB for my existing dish? I see one on ebay that includes the power supply and splitter.

2.) Is the difference between an SL3s and SL5s that the 5 receives the two satellites that send the local channel spot beams?
Why do you want the SL5 LNB set up ... 90% of the population uses the SL3 set up ...
The 5 LNB set up hits two addl Sats that for the most part are not used any longer ... there is a little bit of programming on the 119 Sat I think and nothing on the 110 Sat.

Are you trying to change to a SWM set up ?
It sounds that way as you mentioned a Power Supply .

Have you had your current set up working in the RV ?

Getting a new RV so trying to figure out most cost effective way. I thought the difference between the 3 and the 5 LNB was that the spot beams for locals were on those extra two sats. But if that's not the case and I can get my locals with the SL3s then I'll just go with that.
My choice is to buy a complete portable SWM set up or convert an existing dish to single wire.

:welcome to Satelliteguys scnewps! Your HD locals are accessible with the 3 lnb dish. SD locals are going away which the 5 lnb used to get.

Getting a new RV so trying to figure out most cost effective way. I thought the difference between the 3 and the 5 LNB was that the spot beams for locals were on those extra two sats. But if that's not the case and I can get my locals with the SL3s then I'll just go with that.
My choice is to buy a complete portable SWM set up or convert an existing dish to single wire.
Contact these folks for RV Suggestions

Search results for "DIRECTV FOR RV" (solidsignal.com)

He doesn't want to use a HR54 in the RV IF he also has service in his home.

My suggestion would be an HR24 for the RV and the Genie in the home.
You want one in the RV that is not in any way dependent on another recvr ... meaning no clients of course, and something with its own tuner.
H25 I think is another one, but I believe its SWM only, which isn't a problem as long as you order the right stuff.

Stay away from the HS17 as well if your using it in the RV as well as the home.

He doesn't want to use a HR54 in the RV IF he also has service in his home.

My suggestion would be an HR24 for the RV and the Genie in the home.
You want one in the RV that is not in any way dependent on another recvr ... meaning no clients of course, and something with its own tuner.
H25 I think is another one, but I believe its SWM only, which isn't a problem as long as you order the right stuff.

Stay away from the HS17 as well if your using it in the RV as well as the home.
I will be using two of my home receivers when we are on the road. I have one H21 and 5 H20's to choose from here at the house. I have no use for a DVR.

Reactions: Jimbo
Are you still getting the correct guide data on your h20's? --i had to ditch mine when they started moving data to New sats and the software was never updated

Are you still getting the correct guide data on your h20's? --i had to ditch mine when they started moving data to New sats and the software was never updated
I have one that drops the local channels from the guide for no apparent reason at seemingly random intervals. On another one it has kept the locals from the last place we lived as well as the current locals.

I never had that problem with mine. Sounds like maybe the guide tuner went bad in yours. I have had pretty good luck with the H20-100 but the H20-600 was crap - mine all died years ago!

Reactions: vazhog
I never had that problem with mine. Sounds like maybe the guide tuner went bad in yours. I have had pretty good luck with the H20-100 but the H20-600 was crap - mine all died years ago!
Those H20-600s had heat issues. Too bad, the Zenith ota tuners were better than any others at the time.

Those H20-600s had heat issues. Too bad, the Zenith ota tuners were better than any others at the time.

They got hot and the power supplies would fail. I was happy when my last H20-600 died so I could go all H20-100. I have started seeing those die over the last few years but have been able to find some on eBay.

Eventually that will run out and I'll need to make other plans, but if there's a bright side to closing during the pandemic at least my H20s aren't getting any additional wear and tear :)

Reactions: raoul5788
They got hot and the power supplies would fail. I was happy when my last H20-600 died so I could go all H20-100. I have started seeing those die over the last few years but have been able to find some on eBay.

Eventually that will run out and I'll need to make other plans, but if there's a bright side to closing during the pandemic at least my H20s aren't getting any additional wear and tear :)
The H20-100s were good units, too, but the ota tuners weren't as robust as in the -600s.

I will be using two of my home receivers when we are on the road. I have one H21 and 5 H20's to choose from here at the house. I have no use for a DVR.

In that case I'd get a H24 and a power inserter.

Now if you use a H20 you can use a non-swm LNBF but you will need a BBC (B-Band Converter).

In that case I'd get a H24 and a power inserter.

Now if you use a H20 you can use a non-swm LNBF but you will need a BBC (B-Band Converter).
Back in the day it was SOP to buy DTV receivers on ebay. Then DTV put an end to that by leasing all receivers. I see a bunch of H24's on ebay, any problem activating these?

Back in the day it was SOP to buy DTV receivers on ebay. Then DTV put an end to that by leasing all receivers. I see a bunch of H24's on ebay, any problem activating these?
I'm hearing it's hard enough to activate a H24 from SolidSignal. (DIRECTV HD Satellite Receiver with IR Remote (H24)) EBay I'm betting no way. I got a HR54 from GoodWill for $5, I'm not even going to bother to try to activate it, bought it for the $5 1TB hard drive I pulled from it. After running CrystalDiskInfo I found that I got a really good deal, the hard drive has very low hours on it.

Highly unlikely you could get it activated.

The H20-100s were good units, too, but the ota tuners weren't as robust as in the -600s.

I specifically still use H20s because of the OTA tuner. Never noticed any difference in the ones in the -100 and -600 when I had both, or have had any problems since I've gone -100 only. Maybe it is only an issue with stations that have more marginal reception.

The two causes for failure I've observed with -100s are 1) HDMI ports dying, and 2) losing their memory so they start up as a "new" device and when you run through setup getting some sort of weird 42-something error.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts