Satellite guys Exclusive! Mad Scientist! 129 ON BOTH SUPERDISHES!

I understand the transponder list not needing a software update and can fully accept the sat location list not needing an update, but what is preventing my 301 from having 129 as an option? It is registered, working on my account just like my 921 and 522.

we just got a d1000 in our shop yesterday--- i dont anticipate putting too many in ;;in cleveland our los for orbits below 28deg is pretty iffy ,,plus they told us our piecework pay would be the same as a d500-- so i hope they keep th hd stuff on the 61

I talked with someone at Dish shortly after some of the VOOM Channels appeared on 129. And from what I am told that VOOM will be at both 61.5 and 129. Which I mentioned I thought was a waste of bandwidth, at least if they are going to put VOOM at 129 put it up in MPEG4 format. As the MPEG2 HD channels which are up now will remain in MPEG2 for quite awhile after MPEG4 is released, by putting they VOOM channels up in MPEG2 now they are losing a lot of space which could have been saved for additional MPEG4 offerings.

I am told the rush to get them on 129 is for people on the West Coast where the VOOM take rate is lower then the rest of the country.

What about 148? Oh well, in any event for E* to take full advantage of 129 for HD LIL and other stuff, they'll need to replace EchoStar 5 with a new bird, probably. A new bird with spotbeams. Scott, listening to the conference call on Tuesday, I thought I heard Charlie mention not only EchoStar 10, but also 11 and 12. What do you know about them?

Scott Greczkowski said:
I am told the rush to get them on 129 is for people on the West Coast where the VOOM take rate is lower then the rest of the country.
Probably a smart idea. Take down the D500 dishes for those getting VOOM, and replace with the D1000. Those left coasters hate extra dishes.

One of the birds is going to 129. I dont know more then that.

I have always wondered why they never put VOOM on 148 when they have the space there. Its one of those mysteries that we may never know the answer to. :D

Voom on 148 would have been a real waste of space. The wing LILs moving to 129 is what is bringing Voom there at all (to save the hassle of putting in DP44s for those customers to keep their locals and Voom). When 129 is ready for consumption people can either replace their D500 and D300 with the D1000 "one dish LIL solution" or turn their D300 to 129 (regardless of if the D300 was pointed to 61.5 or 148). The only people in this class that would need a DP44 would be those who want internationals.

It is a side benefit to speed up the availability of Voom at a more central location for the lefties. Don't forget that they are not pushing HD hard at the moment. Gaining a lot of customers is not the goal.

JL

Okay if they move the Voom channels to the 129 slot , what will they use Rainbow 1 and the echostar 61.5 satellite that is already there, for in the future? Hd locals on the east coast maybe? Anyone care to explore that one for me? I mean what else would they use a satellite like Rainbow 1 for , with all of those spotbeams? I think it is a good idea to move all the split locals to the 129 but I thought that some people on the west coast can't get a good signal from 129. What about those people?

I am sorry about all the questions but I didn't get any answers on the tech chat so I am still curious. Anyone know when and where someone can get a new dish 1000 sat dish?

No one but E* knows what Rainbow 1 will be used for, but I think you're on the right track. People in the far North East have troubles getting 129, not the west. I think they could mirror what's on 129 onto 61.5 for those people who can't get 129. They could use 148 for HD LILs, too. I think that the biggest HD LIL markets (read: distant HD and a few of the largest HD LIL) will go on 110 - or possibly 119 or 129.

JL it will be mirrored on both even after MPEG4. Most of the East Coast can not see 129. Dish knows this.

Hopefully the sale of the VOOM satellite is approved this week.

I want to know something, If those that paid the extra $100 for the second dish being put in for the Voom at first, will they be reimbursed? I think there is more to look into this. Most if not all here should be able to view the 129 slot from coast to coast it would seem??

Scott Greczkowski said:
JL it will be mirrored on both even after MPEG4. Most of the East Coast can not see 129. Dish knows this.
When MPEG2 goes away Voom will leave both. Thats the point. Voom is only on 129 to help the LIL migration from 61.5. If it helps left coast viewers get Voom before MPEG4 that is just a bonus.

JL

kavula said:
What about 148? Oh well, in any event for E* to take full advantage of 129 for HD LIL and other stuff, they'll need to replace EchoStar 5 with a new bird, probably. A new bird with spotbeams. Scott, listening to the conference call on Tuesday, I thought I heard Charlie mention not only EchoStar 10, but also 11 and 12. What do you know about them?

The replacement satellite for 129 W should come from Ciel, the Canadian company that Dish partnered with to get access to 129 W. This is not to say that Dish will not have input on the satellite design such as spotbeams. In the related FCC filings, this replacement satellite is scheduled for launch in the second half of 2008.

It has been announced that Loral will build the E-11 satellite for Dish but no location has been announced although it is expected to be launched in early 2007. This is the first time I have heard mention of an E-12 satellite.

Dish also needs to put a satellite at 157 W in the next few years or they will lose the DBS licenses there. The E-3 satellite at 61.5 W is not in very good shape and the R-1 satellite can not do all the TPs there. I would think Dish will have an extra satellite at 110 W once E-10 is operational since both E-6 and E-8 are there, the latter has spotbeam capability. I have speculated that perhaps Dish will move E-7 and/or E-8 to 129 W and use the spotbeam capability there assuming E-10 can replace the spotbeam capability of one or
the other or both. If E-7 is moved, E-6 could be moved to 119 W and make 119 W a fully CONUS slot for Dish. Another DBS satellite Dish may have use of is AMC-14, another SES Americom satellite that is scheduled to be launched in early 2006 to 105.5 W. The 105.5 W slot is a 4.5 degree DBS tweener slot that the FCC has not approved to be used. AMC-14 could replace E-4 at 77 W since the Mexican company that Dish partnered with to gain access to 77 W is a subsidiary of the same company that owns SES Americom.

Scott Greczkowski said:

Hopefully the sale of the VOOM satellite is approved this week.

So Scott , if most of the EAST coast can't see the 129 slot , then I assume that they won't be using the 129 slot for the split locals left on 61.5 or 148 sats? I live in Texas and I can get Voom via the 61.5 side sat dish , will I need a dish 1000? Where can I get one IF I need one?

I have 2 6000 and neither are showing 129 as an option in setup.

I thought someone mentioned earlier that their 6000 was showing 129. Worse yet, I thought I recalled seeing 129 on my 6000 at one point in time :confused:

greatfargo said:
I have superdish 105,110,119. Is there a way to use for 121, 110,119 instead.
The last time I looked there were plenty of LNBs on eBay for SuperDish121. The reflector you have should work fine - you just need to replace the LNBs and protective covers.

PS: I have not looked in a while. Availablility of items on eBay is subject to change.

JL

What is 118.7? Is that the Starband location? While I applaud the ingenius invention of this, I do assume that they will be making a replacement LNBF assembly for the 121 superdish to get all 4 satellite, right? As for 129 and 119 on one Dish500, I've done that by accident. That's easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts