Shaw Direct 60edish aiming issue

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Netforce1

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Eastern Ontario
I know this is an old thread but it pretty close to what I am looking for.

I am trying to locate 97w using the starchoice 60e that is mentioned above (both the dish and lnb).

I can locate 91 and 110 using a circular lnb but can't find anything between those two points using the starchoice lnb.

As of right now I have on skew on dish and am using sat b on lnb by setting 22khz switch to on.

My coolsat 6000 is set to

Lnb type: single
Lnb freq: 10.75
22khz is on

Pretty sure I have all the settings right. Figured if I could locate 110 and 91 that 97w would be somewhere in the middle on both elevation and azimuth. Still nothing. I can't seem to get anything more than 13 % for quality.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I broke it off the old thread. Lots of stuff changes in 2+ years ;)

The one thing to remember on the Coolsats (and all receivers in general) is make sure the transponder you are using is active. The older lists that most receivers had for 97W the 1st one isnt active

Your settings are right if you are using sat B (the one normally used for 111.1). I would go into the manual scan menu and use the following transponder
V

or
H

Then aim the dish. Make small movements so the receiver an register a signal

Otherwise if you think your close do a blind scan and see what you pick up

A 60cm dish is very undersized for 97w in eastern Ontario. Several transponders will have poor reception and weather will affect reception on all transponders. You might consider a 90cm dish for reliable reception.

What transponder are you using to locate 97w? 12152 should be a good strong TP for your area.

Hey guys. Thanks for the quick responses!

Tried the three tp's listed above with no luck. Maybe it's a bad lnb or the dish is just too small.

I guess my next question is should I already have my dish skewed before looking for 97w?

Also, is there any other suggestions for a fta sat that would be easier to locate in Eastern Ontario?

I am determined to do this! I am yet to ever locate a linear sat and it frustrates the heck out of me!

Thanks again!

You should have your dish skewed, as linear KU sats need LNB skew. You don't say what LNB you are using. If you have the new quad, you should be okay. If you have the two beer can LNB's which are stacked with the 2X2 22khz switch, then you have to aim using a vertical transponder. Otherwise you have to add 575 to the horizontal frequencies for aiming/signal. I've got the bigger 75E on 97/93 now. If that was to be a permanent satellite, (97) I'd put my 1 metre back up. There are some weak transponders.

Catamount

Sorry, I came late to the party.
Didn't work out what skew you needed.
You do need to dial that in to get the dish to work.
But, if it's significant, the optical illusion it creates will throw off your azimuth.

Get a compass and/or find a distant object just east of where you need to aim.
Find another just west of where you need to aim.
Maybe 2° .. 3° either way, is fine.
Set the dish skew to zero (or maybe it's 90°), whatever straight-up is.
Now, aim the dish to one distant target and mark your pole and mount with a pencil line.
Re-aim to the other target and mark just the mount again.
Now, dial in the skew, and sweep your dish between the two marks on the mount while looking for the satellite.

If you have a lot of skew dialed into these dishes, and try to use the LNB support arm to aim, you'll be way off.

I always set the skew on a 60E dish before I do elevation and azimuth, that way it helps to tune in weak transponders. And you will have weak transponders with that dish. Just set the skew to what your satellite calculator says for your area and leave it. The settings on the skew on those dishes are very acurate and I haven't had them off.

Satphreak is correct. Use Dishpointer.com to get your skew and elevation. Rotate that dish first to set your skew and do your best on the elevaion. Use the "list" to give you the strongest TP. Bring your smallest TV and your STB out beside your dish and just slowly move that dish back and forth until you get a bleep on the quality bar. You will see the signal bar increase and decrease as you move the dish. If a TP does not show and you see the signal bar rise and peak, do a blindscan on that point just to see what you are pointed at so you know which direction you should go. Picture the satelite arc in the sky in your mind so you know if you also need to go up or down when you are moving east or west from a found signal. Once you get the bleep from the quality bar, then you need to tweek side to side and up and down. Just a reminder, keep your hands and body parts away from being in front of the dish when you are seeking a signal.

Last edited:
I use a 60e for 97 and 101 History on 101 comes in good at 40% and Ebru on 97 comes in about the same. Yet River broadcasting, Al-Jaz & Russia Today come in at about 10%(which is the threshold for my Viewsat Ultra). I've tried tweaking the dish but this only seems to make things worse. I'm wondering why Ebru comes in fine yet 12151 for Al-Jaz & Russia Today is so weak when it's on "the list" as a strong transponder

Thanks for all the help guys.

Thought I would give it a whirl today seeing as the snowfall from yesterday started to melt. Lol

Still haven't found 97.... I have however located what I believe is 103 and 107

Channels I was able to get were;

Etn1 and ftn1

Microspace81

Now correct me if I am wrong, but in order to get 97 should I be turning the dish east and raising the elevation? And if so, by how much? I'm pretty sure I have tried it already yet to no success.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Also, when I bring up 101.0w ANC 4/c is when I get green bars on signal and quality. This is where I get microspace81 and 3 other channels. The thing that confuses me is that the lnb is set to 5.15 instead of 10.750 like what I have set for 97w. And I'm guessing that signal is coming in on the offset lnb since the 22khz switch is off.

If your location is east of the satellite orbital slot, raise the dish. If your location is west of the satellite position, lower the dish elevation. Use the "All Common Satellites" feature at www.GeoSatFinder.com to determine the dish setting differences between all visible satellites for your location.

The receiver LO frequency must be set to match the LNBF LO frequency of 10750. A mismatch of the LO frequency simply causes the preprogrammed transponder frequencies to be incorrect.

You are receiving Signal Quality with the incorrect LO setting as the resulting calculated frequency matches a real frequency. Hint: cover an LNBF eye to determine which side is active. The Signal Quality reading will be lost when you cover the active LNBF.

If you want to locate SES1 (called AMC 4 in the outdated satellite in your receiver) use transponder 12060.

Last edited:
Well after many days trying I finally found 97w. The key was s l o w and small adjustments on azimuth. Guess I was just use to locating circular sats because of their higher output and wrongly expected the same ease from linears.

I was able to get green bars on about 12 of the transponders and was able to blind scan about 59 channels on a cloudy day. Pretty sure I'm gonna have to buckle and get myself a bigger dish. That and find another location cause it looks like my stupid tree is in the way. Lol. Not a big issue now but come spring and all the leaves it will be. Lol

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Sorry for the long delay but I have an update.

After having some decent weather (as in not freezing cold or snowing) I was able to finally take another shot at locating 97W. And this time successfully!

Scanned in 260 channels and after flipping through, found 195 of those to be viewable. Also have 101W tuned in as well.
signal quality is mainly in mid to high 60's and so I may try to tweak it a little more but for now I am quite pleased with all the free tv I have coming in.

Thanks to everyone for all the tips and suggestions!

I do have one last question. I am trying to add TP 18 on 101 in order to get history channel but every time I try to switch from vertical to horizontal it keeps telling me the TP already exists (even though it doesn't). Ideas?

Thanks again!

I do have one last question. I am trying to add TP 18 on 101 in order to get history channel but every time I try to switch from vertical to horizontal it keeps telling me the TP already exists (even though it doesn't). Ideas?

Thanks again!

Well that transponder is dead now as Hotel Networks switched to DirecTV. They only have NHK and RT up on 12125 H 4650 with just audio in the clear.

Status
Please reply by conversation.