Sirius Install

VaJim

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Looking to install Sirius in my 2005 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab. The In-dash radio is stock.

What are you options if all the freqs (88.1 - 88.9) are in use in your local area?

Not sure if the stock radio on my truck has a aux input.

Thanks!

Options

There is more than a good chance that you do not have aux inputs on your factory radio. Sirius' newer plug and play tuners have a greatly expanded choice of channels for FM modulation. Check this link for more details on Sirius' new tuners.

Other options would be a cassette adapter, a hardwired FM modulator or a new Sirius ready head unit. The head units range from $200 and up. I almost forgot about the Soundgate adapter. This would let you use your existing factory radio. Information can be found here.

Well I shopped around today and I've decided on the Audiovox Jam pack with the hardwired FM modulator. Going to get it installed at a local auto audio shop on Thursday. Also picking up the home dock and boom box. :)

Does anyone have experience with the home dock? I plan on feeding it into a Onkyo receiver. It's fairly old but still works fine and has an extra aux plug.

Any tips on where to put the antenna? Are they as fickle as some may make you think? I'm going to be using it in a room over the garge. The Onyko is across the room away from the window....problem? :confused:

Thanks!

The home antennas do seem a little more quirky than the car antennas. If you can get the thing outside somewhere, you'll have less issues than trying to find a spot that works in the house or near a window. The car antennas seem to do better indoors than the home antennas. Not sure why this is exactly, but that has been my experience.

VaJim said:
Well I shopped around today and I've decided on the Audiovox Jam pack with the hardwired FM modulator. Going to get it installed at a local auto audio shop on Thursday. Also picking up the home dock and boom box. :)

Does anyone have experience with the home dock? I plan on feeding it into a Onkyo receiver. It's fairly old but still works fine and has an extra aux plug.

Any tips on where to put the antenna? Are they as fickle as some may make you think? I'm going to be using it in a room over the garge. The Onyko is across the room away from the window....problem? :confused:

Thanks!

I run my Kenwood DT 7000S through a OKYNO with zero problems. You may have to play around a little for the best antenna placement. Worse case get one of these : Terk SIR6 I mounted mine on my DISH Network dish and ran the cabling down from the roof along with DISH's cabling. Picture of Installation

Well I'm there! Got the Audio Jam Pak installed in my truck. The local audio shop did a great job. Everything looks very professional right down to the toggle switch for the fm modulator. Highly recommend the pro install. For $50 I couldn't go wrong.

At home I set up the home dock unit. At first the signal was a bit twitchy. On and then off. Then I discovered the 'Antenna Aiming' on the menu which gives you a nice bar graph. What was weird, was that the Sirius web site said I should point my home antenna north or west ( I Live in SE Virginia). After playing with the 'Antenna Aimimg' I had it pointing to the South and the signal is much better. So now it sits on a window sill and seems to be working fine.

This weekend we'll check out the Boombox.

Sirius rocks!

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

Sirius has by far been the best money I spend every month. I don't even listen to AM/FM anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)