Sirius Reception Problem

JeremyL

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Chatham, IL
Equipment: Sportster 5, car dock, FM adapter, hardwired power, dot antenna

Last week I began having some signal problems with my radio. It had operated for nearly a year with a strong three bars of signal strength, but last week it started fluctuating as I drove down the road - 3 bars, drops to 1 bar, "antenna not detected" message, back to one bar, then up to 3 bars again. This was on an open road with sunny skies, so nothing was blocking the antenna. I thought the antenna had gone bad, since they only last about a year. I replaced the antenna, but it didn't improve. I, then, replaced the dock, but the problem still persisted. I noticed if I pushed down on the right side of the radio, the signal would come back. So, I thought there must be a short somewhere. I had a spare, unactivated radio, so I tried it ... same thing happened with it - signal would drop in and out.

I thought maybe the physical position of the antenna, but it's in the exact spot as it always has been.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I could try next?

I don't have any ideas for you but I have had the same problem the last 2 weeks. Switched antennas, bases and units with no improvement. I see you are in Indiana. I am in Minnesota. Don't know if geography is a problem.

Having the same problems and it just started today!:mad:
Me too. I was just searching on Sirus Signal Problems and found this thread. My problems started this afternoon. Everything was fine, even up until this morning. I have my antenna on the outside of my car, and always have a solid full signal on the satellite. I never get much in the way of repeater signal, but who does? Anyway, this afternoon, it was fluctuating between 1 and 2 bars, and am getting regular dropouts when going under overpasses, and even under highway signs. Usually my radio never drops out. I have two radios, so I tried them both. I figured that it was time for another antenna, but when I turned my radio on inside, I get no signal at all, just a big "X". Now I never get wonderful signal inside, but I usually do get something.

Not really sure what's going on, but I sure hope they fix it soon.

I'm in Wisconsin and yesterday afternoon, I noticed that the Sirius tuner in my car was having serious problems acquiring a stable signal. It seems a little better this morning, but it is definitely weaker. Normally, I don't have any signal dropout when going under bridges. I'm somewhat glad to find others having the same problem, as I was worried that there was something wrong with my equipment.

I talked to Sirius about my problem, and they were absolutely no help at all.

They asked me a series of questions, one of which was "Is there anything obstructing your antenna?" Of course, my answer was no. Then, they got to their script and told me the solution was to make sure the antenna was unobstructed.

I still think there's a short in the radio, but can't explain why the same issue is happening to two different radios on a brand new dock. I guess it could be a bad dock. Anyway, If I put the Sportster 5 in the dock at a slight angle, with the left side up a couple of centimeters, everything works fine.

Having the same problems and it just started today!:mad:

Me too. I was just searching on Sirus Signal Problems and found this thread. My problems started this afternoon. Everything was fine, even up until this morning. I have my antenna on the outside of my car, and always have a solid full signal on the satellite. I never get much in the way of repeater signal, but who does? Anyway, this afternoon, it was fluctuating between 1 and 2 bars, and am getting regular dropouts when going under overpasses, and even under highway signs. Usually my radio never drops out. I have two radios, so I tried them both. I figured that it was time for another antenna, but when I turned my radio on inside, I get no signal at all, just a big "X". Now I never get wonderful signal inside, but I usually do get something.

Not really sure what's going on, but I sure hope they fix it soon.

i have the same issue with my s50. it has been saying no single allot today. my stratus is in my car and that cut out a few times as well

I'm in Wisconsin and yesterday afternoon, I noticed that the Sirius tuner in my car was having serious problems acquiring a stable signal. It seems a little better this morning, but it is definitely weaker. Normally, I don't have any signal dropout when going under bridges. I'm somewhat glad to find others having the same problem, as I was worried that there was something wrong with my equipment.

Me too. Started last night with a sportster 4. "Acquiring Signal" every few moments.

I talked to Sirius about my problem, and they were absolutely no help at all.

They asked me a series of questions, one of which was "Is there anything obstructing your antenna?" Of course, my answer was no. Then, they got to their script and told me the solution was to make sure the antenna was unobstructed.

I still think there's a short in the radio, but can't explain why the same issue is happening to two different radios on a brand new dock. I guess it could be a bad dock. Anyway, If I put the Sportster 5 in the dock at a slight angle, with the left side up a couple of centimeters, everything works fine.
dropouts stopped at about ten this morning and by the drive home it never missed a lick!

On the evening of the 10th I also had the issue. It was like Sirius was missing a satellite signal. When there was zero obstructions it worked fine but as soon as you got around a tree or something it started dropping out. You could really tell when you cut it on it took a while for the music to start playing. Total indication that you were only picking up on satellite instead of the two.

On the evening of the 10th I also had the issue. It was like Sirius was missing a satellite signal. When there was zero obstructions it worked fine but as soon as you got around a tree or something it started dropping out. You could really tell when you cut it on it took a while for the music to start playing. Total indication that you were only picking up on satellite instead of the two.

All better now.

Yep, working fine for me now too.
all good here:up

Signal Problems Persist

On the evening on July 1, 2009, the signal dropped out and did not return for approximately 35 minutes. I have an external antenna placed on a flat roof in the desert of Southern California with no obstructions. The receiver simply said "acquiring signal." Sporatic drop outs have increased tremendously over the past six months, but this was the longest I have experienced. I tried replacing the antenna, but that has made no difference. It appears that Sirius is having some serious signal problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts