Sirius Satellite

jlhugh

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Nov 25, 2003
Austin, Texas, United States
Is this thing close to XM's bird? The reason I ask is because I had no problems listening to my XM at work. Always had a strong signal all day and night. It even worked when I closed my mini blind on my way out of my office. Now that I have Sirius. This thing only works minutes at a time and sometimes takes an hour to find a signal back. The window in my office faces north. I just have the antenna sitting on top if my computer tower that is level with the bottom of the window. There is a good clear view. I never had a signal problem with the XM antenna.

XM's satellites are in a geosynchronus orbit (just like DISH and Directv's birds are).

Sirius's satellites are in a "Figure 8" orbit, so those birds shouldn't ever get near each other since they are in different altitudes.

Sirius will launch aaa satellite in geosynchronous orbit but until they do "aiming" isa little difficult. Having said that t hey calima better coverage pattern than XM to begin with.

Are you sure it's not because XM has more repeaters. The reason I say that is because I tried using my Sirius in my office with a 6X9 window facing North and it was spotty at best, whereas a coworker has XM and was in an interior office but he had no trouble getting signal. Again I'm not saying that is the case but in Minneapolis there are about 13 XM repeaters versus 3 Sirius repeaters.

I am not finding that in this situation. Seems like XM has signal quality for me in this office. Oh well, I just got Sirius, so I am still messing with it.

Just got my Sirius plug-and-play unit last night, plugged it in and plopped the antenna on the roof just to test it. Signal strength was at 100%.

Questions though:

-I had the FM transmitter set to an empty station to test it out, and it was a tad fuzzy as I moved the unit around the car, however when it was placed in the spot I plan to mount it it was fine. There's actually a "plug" that says FM transmitter, is there some sort of antenna I'm supposed to plug in there to better transmit the signal? I did notice that it couldn't even overpower many snowy weak stations on the dial though, I had to use 89.9 which in Akron, Ohio is about the only totally "white" frequency I could find.

Just got my Sirius plug-and-play unit last night, plugged it in and plopped the antenna on the roof just to test it. Signal strength was at 100%.

Questions though:

-I had the FM transmitter set to an empty station to test it out, and it was a tad fuzzy as I moved the unit around the car, however when it was placed in the spot I plan to mount it it was fine. There's actually a "plug" that says FM transmitter, is there some sort of antenna I'm supposed to plug in there to better transmit the signal? I did notice that it couldn't even overpower many snowy weak stations on the dial though, I had to use 89.9 which in Akron, Ohio is about the only totally "white" frequency I could find.

Look in the bag with all the stuff that came with the unit or car adapter, there should be a piece of wire with a plug on it that goes in the hole.

Questions though:

It works great in my car. Just not so good in my office. I guess I have a docking station I need to sell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)