Sirius XM Freeviw for former subs 5/24-6/6

Scott Greczkowski said:
Just a word of warning... the last time they did one of these free previews, old radios which were unsubscribed but did not get the unsubscribe commands and still received service for free were killed with the last free preview... so if you have an old radio which still works which you have not been paying for I would turn it off for this free preview. :)

I unplugged mine. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

If you have a factory install or can't unplug the antenna or power, cover the entire antenna with tin foil and masking tape. After the antenna is covered, make sure it is not getting a signal, if it is, add another layer of tin foil and tape. Keep it covered for two or three weeks. The foil will block the signal and will prevent the tuner getting the deactivation signal.

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys

The 6th is the end of the freeview so they'll nuke it the 7th. Mine is unplugged until late next week

So what date would you suggest be a plug in date?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Any date you want. Just go to siriusxm.com/activate, enter in your info and you won't have to worry about losing your service. You'll also get the satisfaction of paying for the service that you receive.

Any date you want. Just go to siriusxm.com/activate, enter in your info and you won't have to worry about losing your service. You'll also get the satisfaction of paying for the service that you receive.

sorry Bo but it isnt like we're doing anything illegal. It isnt my fault that Sirius didnt shut off the radio when I called to do a swap now 4+ years ago. I had the new radio work fine for 3 years and they forgot to turn the old one off. Thats their issue, not mine. Heck when I had an account they had no record of the old ESN. Just because you're goofy enough to admit you'd rather pay MORE to your cable company and cell phone company doesnt mean we all want to do that. :rolleyes:
If they shut it off tomorrow I wont mind nor complain. I'll just chuck it in the garbage and remove the antenna mounted on the truck. I mainly use it when I go to the lake house because the one good station has the Twins games on there too so we turn the Sirius on if we dont want to listen to the Twins game :)

I never even used it during the freeview. Thats how much I actually listen to it.

sorry Bo but it isnt like we're doing anything illegal. It isnt my fault that Sirius didnt shut off the radio when I called to do a swap now 4+ years ago. I had the new radio work fine for 3 years and they forgot to turn the old one off. Thats their issue, not mine. Heck when I had an account they had no record of the old ESN. Just because you're goofy enough to admit you'd rather pay MORE to your cable company and cell phone company doesnt mean we all want to do that. :rolleyes:
If they shut it off tomorrow I wont mind nor complain. I'll just chuck it in the garbage and remove the antenna mounted on the truck. I mainly use it when I go to the lake house because the one good station has the Twins games on there too so we turn the Sirius on if we dont want to listen to the Twins game :)

I never even used it during the freeview. Thats how much I actually listen to it.

I agree with you Ice. I did what I needed to do to Cancel. It's not my fault that the radio still works and they stopped billing me for it. I'd do the same. If I plug it in today and later tonight it stops working then I'll remove all the wiring for it. It's not worth the price when I only listen to the same channel.

Mr. Morals here seems to think people who do this (and people who play the retentions game) are the sole reason that XM is in the world of hurt that it's in and the reason it needs to raise prices in the face of the merger/antitrust agreement. At least that's what he claims in the class action thread. He won't acknowledge that Mel Karmazin and Howard Stern's billion dollar contract carry any responsibility.

SIRIUSXM is in the world of hurt its in because of SIRUSXM.

Its not due to people listening to unsubscribed radios.

I have 2 radios that have been unsubscribed for years that at last check still work, even though I canceled them a long long time ago. That is not my fault that they still work and I don't feel bad that they still work since I purchased a lifetime subscription anyways (just on a different radio).

If your a long time XM customer you probably left or are upset because Sirius came in and turned the service into FM radio without commercials. They cut the playlists down so much that its normal to hear the same song played on the same channel many times each day.

The managment of SiriusXM have forgot the product they are selling is RADIO. Satellite Radio use to be GREAT but now not so much.

It seems the more money they are making the more they are cutting back on things. Satellite radio WAS great...

You can justify it anyway you like, that’s your business, I really don’t care. Fact is, it’s still wrong, whether or not your receiver got the kill signal or not, if you tune into Sirius XM programming, it’s your responsibility to do the right thing and pay. A product or service is either worth it to you at the price asked or it is not. If Sirius XM service is not worth $13/month to you, then don’t pay and don’t listen. If you do listen, you should pony up the cash. And don’t justify it by saying ‘I only listen to one or two channels and I would subscribe anyway’. Would it be a valid excuse if I said I want to steal DirecTV programming because I only want to watch the NFL Network but I don’t watch any other channel, and I wouldn’t pay for the service anyway?

Sirius XM isn’t in the business to give programming away for free. And those that do not pay for service, or get those retarded retention deals, should you ever have the urge to, you have absolutely have no right to complain about anything at all related to Sirius XM, programming, hardware, sound quality, etc, as you are doing nothing to help gain revenue to use for future improvements.

Just because you're goofy enough to admit you'd rather pay MORE to your cable company and cell phone company doesnt mean we all want to do that

I’d rather pay more to ensure future improvements and advancements. I know that concept may seem foreign to you, but it’s how business works. What you pay for a product or service is an investment in that company’s future. If we all canceled our radios and waited for the kill signal, or all called up and whined and got a year for $77, there would be no future. If I’m satisfied with a company and what they offer, I have no problem spending more if I find the value in it, I have no problem with an occasional increase, I have no problem supporting those who provide me with products and services I enjoy.

For years I had 3 XM accounts and 2 Sirius accounts. After the channel line ups merged a few years ago I went down to one of each. Sirius in my car, and XM at home since my home theater receiver had a built in XM tuner. I’d hook up my old SkyFi 2 every so often to access the hidden diagnostic screens to fine tune my antenna from time to time. The receiver has fully active the last time I did that, but I have no intention to listen to it. This past December when I redid my set up, my new home theater receiver had Sirius built in, so I activated that and put XM back into my car. I hooked my old Roady XT up and it was still fully active as well, I could have just called and canceled my whole XM account and listened for free, but I did a radio swap and paid.

One thing I will say, these companies aren’t stupid, they know the tricks people play. Where I work, even though we don’t have anything remotely to do with this industry, if you call up and complain about price or try to bluff us by saying you’ll switch to a competitor, of course we’ll make some price adjustments in your favor. But all the lost revenue from you will be made up somewhere else. Increased future price increases from what they would normally be from all of our other customers, finding ways to charge others more and just plain ‘ole inventing fees. We will not take a loss of revenue overall due to you being cheap. And I fully support that notion as my own paycheck is affected by that directly.

I’m no Mr. Morals, but I have come to the realization that things cost money, and if we all just paid the price asked, we’d all be better off, and we’d be paying less for more. I downloaded so many pirated MP3s, and while I never downloaded a movie, I did get a nice DVD collection by having Netflix and doing ‘Burn N Return’. But after thinking about it, who was I really screwing over? Those that worked hard to produce the entertainment that I enjoy and those that do the right thing and purchase it. And no it’s not just about taking money away from millionaire singers, actors or CEOs. It’s about taking money away from those behind the scenes. Personally, if I was an audio engineer either for a recording studio or Sirius XM, I wouldn’t want someone to not pay for the work I had a small hand in creating. Does that sound reasonable to you? Over the past 5 or 6 years I've since redownloaded every song I could legally, and have purchased just about every movie the copied from Netflix on DVD or BD.

You can justify it anyway you like, that’s your business, I really don’t care.
obviously you care as you decided to write a book as a response ;)

Fact is, it’s still wrong, whether or not your receiver got the kill signal or not, if you tune into Sirius XM programming, it’s your responsibility to do the right thing and pay. A product or service is either worth it to you at the price asked or it is not. If Sirius XM service is not worth $13/month to you, then don’t pay and don’t listen. If you do listen, you should pony up the cash. And don’t justify it by saying ‘I only listen to one or two channels and I would subscribe anyway’. Would it be a valid excuse if I said I want to steal DirecTV programming because I only want to watch the NFL Network but I don’t watch any other channel, and I wouldn’t pay for the service anyway?
different scenario there. You said "steal Directv" which is totally different than throwing a receiver in a box that Sirius cancelled, finding it 2 years later, hooking it up and seeing it works.
I didnt steal anything. I didnt decide "oh lets figure out a way to get free Sirius programming". So your analogy there has no merit

Sirius XM isn’t in the business to give programming away for free. And those that do not pay for service, or get those retarded retention deals, should you ever have the urge to, you have absolutely have no right to complain about anything at all related to Sirius XM, programming, hardware, sound quality, etc, as you are doing nothing to help gain revenue to use for future improvements.
So its MY fault if Sirius offers me a deal when someone calls to cancel? Lets see. For 5 years I paid for Sirius. Paid by the year so 12 bucks or something. Then I got the "royalty fee" letter and I called to cancel. I took no offers and the account was cancelled immediatelly...But
If Sirius offers me 5 for $20 (which they offered twice on the phone) thats my issue right?
If Sirius sends me about 75 e-mails in the 18 months since I left offering me 2 months free, 3 months free, 5 for 20...thats my fault right?
If Sirius has sent me around 20 letters via the mail offering freebies, free months, 5 for 20....thats my fault right?

If a company wants to offer a deal to stay that is their right. Are there some bad apples who call and do that? yes. But most folks do not.

I’d rather pay more to ensure future improvements and advancements. I know that concept may seem foreign to you, but it’s how business works. What you pay for a product or service is an investment in that company’s future. If we all canceled our radios and waited for the kill signal, or all called up and whined and got a year for $77, there would be no future. If I’m satisfied with a company and what they offer, I have no problem spending more if I find the value in it, I have no problem with an occasional increase, I have no problem supporting those who provide me with products and services I enjoy.
and I have no issue usually with an increase...but to say on a board "I'd like to pay more"...well then thats just insane. I'm sure you told Time Warner "no I dont want any deals. Please charge me full price for everything"

For years I had 3 XM accounts and 2 Sirius accounts. After the channel line ups merged a few years ago I went down to one of each. Sirius in my car, and XM at home since my home theater receiver had a built in XM tuner. I’d hook up my old SkyFi 2 every so often to access the hidden diagnostic screens to fine tune my antenna from time to time. The receiver has fully active the last time I did that, but I have no intention to listen to it. This past December when I redid my set up, my new home theater receiver had Sirius built in, so I activated that and put XM back into my car. I hooked my old Roady XT up and it was still fully active as well, I could have just called and canceled my whole XM account and listened for free, but I did a radio swap and paid.
do you want a cookie or something because you had 5 receivers?

One thing I will say, these companies aren’t stupid, they know the tricks people play. Where I work, even though we don’t have anything remotely to do with this industry, if you call up and complain about price or try to bluff us by saying you’ll switch to a competitor, of course we’ll make some price adjustments in your favor. But all the lost revenue from you will be made up somewhere else. Increased future price increases from what they would normally be from all of our other customers, finding ways to charge others more and just plain ‘ole inventing fees. We will not take a loss of revenue overall due to you being cheap. And I fully support that notion as my own paycheck is affected by that directly.
I dont call and complain and play the game like some people do. When I had the sports package with D* I called to cancel it as college football was over. They transferred me to someone who offered a deal of which I did take. I didnt call it all harshly and demanded a discount. I called to cancel the package as I didnt need it. Now my 6 month promo was up and I cancelled it which they did. I didnt pout and go "why cant you offer me a discount dammit". They cancelled it and I went on my merry way with just my local RSN now :)

I enjoyed the preview while it lasted, Thanks Sirius.

Mine played until 7:40AM on the 7th and is back to the splash screen with the phone number. It was nice and might consider it in the future while I have my 2 hour each way commute days to NJ. The funny thing about this is, it somehow restored the RDS in my factory radio. I was unaware my model radio even had that feature. It noticed it while in Sirius mode and when that ended it started working to the minute on FM. So I gained something out of this.

Steve must be confused again...he's speaking to himself :)

side note...the old warhorse still was working fine this weekend.

My XM radio continues to work as well. I have another radio just like it and it worked only during the preview. I have always thought that some of the radios continue to play because they may want to inflate their sub numbers? Having worked in terrestrial radio for years this idea has been bantered about. Gary Dunn Lind, WA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)