Site issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Something happened to Apache when the server was doing the Monthly Server Backup. (Thats when the entire server is backed up)

Doing a quick restart to Apache seems to have cleared things. But I need to go through the logs and see if I can figure out what hung it up.

Sad thing is I have been up since 5:30 am but did not check the site until now. Sorry about that!

Thanks, Scott! It’s been a weekend for software to go wonkers; last night our Patch Manager screwed up a number of our servers. It was a very late night…

• Sad
Reactions: FTA4PA
Site appears to be slowing again .... post a reply and its taking about 5-10 seconds to go thru, same with likes.
Apparently not "all" as this one went thru about normal.

Reactions: TheKrell
I’ve seen a lot of the blue lines animation when Liking a post or posting something new. The numbers at the bottom of the page don’t seem like anything’s wrong.

I’ve seen a lot of the blue lines animation when Liking a post or posting something new. The numbers at the bottom of the page don’t seem like anything’s wrong.
The best I can tell on this is when you click submit a lot of things happens...

1) The message is scanned for viruses / malware before being saved
2) The IP address is captured from where you are posting from
3) The operating system and browser you are using is captured (it calls an external database to give us that info)
4) depending on the number of posts you have it scans if your registered email address or IP address are listed on the StopForumSpam list
5) Saving the message to the database

So all these things can slow down posting. Since 3 of them are external calls to servers outside ours we are at the mercy of those servers. I do know that #3 has been having issues off and on. They have lowered the timeout now as it use to be 10 seconds. Now I think its down to 2 seconds. so if they get no reply in 2 seconds things move along. I think 2) 3) and 4) can slow things down the most because of the external calls. I think this is why we see this blue line delay from time to time and then it corrects itself with out and intervention on our part.

Also with #1 if the server is busy scanning something else the new post goes to the back of the que. So there could be other things it scans before it scans that message. We are running he basic version of this package, I dont want to pay $45 a month just to be able to change the priority.

Of course these are all guesses on my part as the logging really does not tell you anything.

The wild part about all of this is when the site is operating normal we are considered one of the faster Xenforo sites online. We are great 99.93% of the time... its that damn .07% that aggravates me to no end. :)

I feel like Scotty from Star Trek at times, and I swear I am giving her all she's got captain! :D

Hmmm…. I have a sneaky feeling that’s a dns issue.

I wonder if I changed the TTL back from 10 minutes after we moved servers.

I will check tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hmmm…. I have a sneaky feeling that’s a dns issue.

I wonder if I changed the TTL back from 10 minutes after we moved servers.

I will check tonight.

Thanks. If it is a DNS issue is there anything I can do at my end? Another site I use as heavy as SatGuys is my pellet grill forum. It is XenForo too. It opens real fast.

No dns is on our side.

Basically dns turns WWWSatelliteGuys.us in an IP address for example 192.1680.1

If our DNS TTL is set low you Your computer asks your isp’s dns server if SatelliteGuys has a new IP address and their server connects to our dns server asking if there is a new IP address. Our dns server say no and gives it the old address again. Then your isp’s dns service sends you the address.

I am thinking if I set the TTL live to a normal time not expiring in 10 minutes it will eliminate that issue.

No dns is on our side.

Basically dns turns WWWSatelliteGuys.us in an IP address for example 192.1680.1

If our DNS TTL is set low you Your computer asks your isp’s dns server if SatelliteGuys has a new IP address and their server connects to our dns server asking if there is a new IP address. Our dns server say no and gives it the old address again. Then your isp’s dns service sends you the address.

I am thinking if I set the TTL live to a normal time not expiring in 10 minutes it will eliminate that issue.

OK, thanks Scott. It started to slow down to open I think two updates ago. Does this have anything to do with why I can't add the SatGuys icon on my cell phone home screen? That would save me a couple of clicks to open up my watched threads section.

Ok... I changed the TTL from 10 minutes to 24 Hours. This should help.

Now when coming to the site make sure you are coming to www dot Satelliteguys dot us. not from .com .net and other sites. :)

Charles again the Home Screen thing was changed in the software when we upgraded. There is a work around which I posted before which gets around it, while not the same it does the same thing. Again I am not really an android user so hard for me to test unless I borrow and Android tablet. :)

Ok... I changed the TTL from 10 minutes to 24 Hours. This should help.

Now when coming to the site make sure you are coming to www dot Satelliteguys dot us. not from .com .net and other sites. :)

Charles again the Home Screen thing was changed in the software when we upgraded. There is a work around which I posted before which gets around it, while not the same it does the same thing. Again I am not really an android user so hard for me to test unless I borrow and Android tablet. :)
Thanks Scott. Installed a new SatGuys app. It is much faster opening up now. I will take another look at your work around for the Home Screen and try it again.