SkyVision Updated Programming List.....????

Status
Please reply by conversation.
They don't pay the programmer anything and sell the channels.
As I'm reading this thread, I already had planned to ask this question. Now that I know what is being broadcast FTA, why is skyvision/SRL selling channels that are already FTA? At least 6 channels in the PICK 10 list ARE FTA. Personally, I'd like to see a pi ck 10, pick 20, pick 30 WITH all or a lot more of the choices that are available on X4/w5. (we already are having a hard time picking 10 GOOD channels to watch with the choices on the list, especially with no Discovery's)

As I'm reading this thread, I already had planned to ask this question. Now that I know what is being broadcast FTA, why is skyvision/SRL selling channels that are already FTA? At least 6 channels in the PICK 10 list ARE FTA. Personally, I'd like to see a pi ck 10, pick 20, pick 30 WITH all or a lot more of the choices that are available on X4/w5. (we already are having a hard time picking 10 GOOD channels to watch with the choices on the list, especially with no Discovery's)

FTA channels, if they show up, are by nature not guaranteed to always be there. They're kind of like a "bonus". (and FTA is not everybody's cup of tea) Subscriptions mean guaranteed access. Subscriptions, ironically also mean that the channel is supported, thus it is still "there" longer term even if its on FTA.

As far as the selection goes, we're all hoping over time that the programming will grow. As many have pointed out on this site, it takes numbers of subscriptions showing support of ANY kind, small or large for our C-band to continue as we know it today.

Well, many don't have FTA receivers and for some it's cheaper and easier to pay a little for the channels than to invest in equipment.

FTA channels, if they show up, are by nature not guaranteed to always be there. They're kind of like a "bonus". (and FTA is not everybody's cup of tea) Subscriptions mean guaranteed access. Subscriptions, ironically also mean that the channel is supported, thus it is still "there" longer term even if its on FTA.

As far as the selection goes, we're all hoping over time that the programming will grow. As many have pointed out on this site, it takes numbers of subscriptions showing support of ANY kind, small or large for our C-band to continue as we know it today.

Many of them are religious that stay FTA 100% of the time guaranteed. No sense paying for those. They get enough money from suckers making tax deductible donations.

I sub to channels that are available FTA to ensure availability and to support the providers,

There are enough sub-only channels for me in the mix with FTA to pay for a sub.

My question is why should we be excited about being able to order programming that:
1) Does not include the top channels (CNN, Disney, Nickelodeon, FOOD, DIY, USA, TNT, TBS, Weather Channel, etc).
2) Are not in HD and 5.1 surround.
3) Has to be viewed using an old, large, outdated technology, poor graphics receiver.
4) Prices are increased compared to previous 4DTV programming.

Why don't programmers simply come up with cards for the CI slots on our FTA satellite receivers, so that we can receive the programming using new technology receivers such as the Openbox S9 HD FTA receiver and enjoy the channels in full HD and surround sound.

My question is why should we be excited about being able to order programming that:
1) Does not include the top channels (CNN, Disney, Nickelodeon, FOOD, DIY, USA, TNT, TBS, Weather Channel, etc).
3) Has to be viewed using an old, large, outdated technology, poor graphics receiver.

My personal answer? Because it's STILL THERE. And, so is some potential. But, that's just me....

PopcornNMore said:

Why don't programmers simply come up with cards for the CI slots on our FTA satellite receivers, so that we can receive the programming using new technology receivers such as the Openbox S9 HD FTA receiver and enjoy the channels in full HD and surround sound.

IMHO because that is major investment $$$$
Dish and Direct exist today....why add a 3rd provider?

Dish and Direct have deals with the master programmers that lock them in exclusively to provide programming to the pizza dish providers. Easy money for the master providers! Single customer, no headaches, just more days on the golf courses and caviar being served on their G6

The system we use today exists for different reasons and we've been able to take advantage of it, to give us something the pizza subs don't offer - flexibility.

Me personally...I'll always find something to watch on TV....but I really hate having 100s of channels and finding nothing to watch.

My 2 cents......

I'm not sure where the original post for this was, but someone posted a link to Discovery Communications website with details on how to submit a comment regarding their channels and the 4DTV service.

I submitted a comment following the steps along the lines of, we really enjoy Discovery and would really like to keep it, small dish/cable isn't a real option for us, etc...

I just got this response:

"Thank you for contacting Discovery Communications. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns regarding issues you are having with receiving some of our networks through your satellite provider. Please know that we are working with your provider to offer D iscovery Channel, TLC and Animal Planet. In the meantime, you can still enjoy our digital networks including Science Channel, Investigation Discovery, The Hub, OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, Military Channel, Planet Green and FitTV."

1st I'd like to say how cool it was to get a response!
2nd, it seems that there is indeed hope for the future, the response certainly seemed to know what's what

After thinking about it more last night there are many pros to subscribing to these channels that I overlooked:
1) I can subscribe to a single channel.
2) I can choose my channel provider.
3) No contracts.
4) Many low price packages to choose from.
5) Many channels only appear within upper tiers on CATV, Dish and DirecTV.

I will probably subscribe to a small package to show my support.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)