Some good/bad News (Depending how you want to take it)

Hold Your Horses

Voom is still broadcasting right? Well, until it isn't, anything can happen. What i've said in the past is that Voom may be ending as it is now, but may continue in some other fashion.

What is key here is what happens at the production house where much of the Voom "exclusives" content is produced. They will know REAL soon what is going on. I know that there have been postings here in the forum with a link to a web story on the place where the production is done. What's going on there is what will give you guys real insight as to what's happening behind the scenes.

This is why I say this: If I remember correctly, the production house was a separate entity from Voom/Cablevision, meaning the had been merely contracted to provide services for Voom's production. If Cablevision has cut the cord and let them know that the service is done. Well, that would be bad news for you guys. But, If this new VoomLLC has contacted them to continue providing services, well, then there's some hope. That may be where you could get some information if someone has a contact there.

Sean or Scott may remember the story and the producion house that I'm referring to.

Disclaimer: I am a former V* sub who switched to E* a few months back. Don't hate.

And here's more heresy: Voom's 21 exclusives on either D* or E* in.....yes SD, at least for a while until mpeg4.

madpoet said:
You have no idea how much I want to register jimdolansucks.com.... it's open.
well someone registered jamesdolansucks.com, i just checked it...

madpoet said:
You have no idea how much I want to register jimdolansucks.com.... it's open.
What a spoiled little brat who can not run or manage his way out of a paper bag. Look at his wonderful track record. Maybe he will run for mayor of NYC...

patrickpiteo said:
LOL oK who was it BOO>>
Been registered for a few weeks.. heres the whois :)
Domain Name: JAMESDOLANSUCKS.COM
Registrar: GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC.
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
Name Server: NS.VS-LABS.COM
Name Server: NS2.VS-LABS.COM
Updated Date: 03-feb-2005
Creation Date: 06-sep-2004
Expiration Date: 06-sep-2006

Hope the site goes up soon..

<added>
jamesdolanisanass.com is available... :)

Sean Mota said:
In the light that CVC started shutting down services (Voom Website), I am told that it would not be a surprise to see other services go. Even pink slips maybe handed out, but (before I get any flame from the VOOMER Haters) I was re-assured that the "roof has started to crumble" but it may not come down to the floor. There are negotiations taking places and agreements that have yet to be determined.

Flame if you want but this is what I was told by a close insider. If you are leaving VOOM, I do not blame you for leaving (I have my doubts as well) but there may be a light. The negotiation is not about money is all I can say right now. The money is in place.

This is truly a sad day for satellite tv customers. Although I'm not a Voom customer or even an HD subscriber losing a carrier takes pressure off the two that are left to provide content and service.

I'll even throw in a brick, Charlie has less of an incentive to follow through on his promises of NBR for all of us PVR owners, like me and my 721. What are going to do, jump to Direct....

I hope that someone picks up Voom for the sake of the folks that bought into as consumers and to keep the other two players honest.

Folks I know it sound like doom and gloom, but TRUST ME when I say I know Tom and Chuck are working here to pull out a miracle here in the fourth quarter. There still is time left on the clock, and believe me they WILL make another shot.

I saw we root for the home team. GO VOOM. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:

Chuck Chuck he' our man if he cant do it...
he can shut down the whole damn comapny!!!! Yeah!! Gooooooo Chuck!!!!!!

Scott Greczkowski said:
Folks I know it sound like doom and gloom, but TRUST ME when I say I know Tom and Chuck are working here to pull out a miracle here in the fourth quarter. There still is time left on the clock, and believe me they WILL make another shot.

Even if they pull it off, Voom will be damaged irreparably. They probably lost customers and new sign-ups. I believe all the ads on all the web sites are linked to www.voom.com. Maybe Tom and Chuck should pay less for Voom now because of all of these.

Scott that sounds very optimistic but I just received the following memo that was sent to all staff.

To: Rainbow HD Holdings LLC Employees

Date: March 1, 2005

Re: WARN Notice

As a result of the Board of Directors’ February 28, 2005 decision to close the direct broadcast satellite business, Rainbow HD Holdings LLC anticipates that it will cease operations at its facility located at 11 Penn Plaza, 2nd Floor New York, NY 10001 between March 4 and March 31, 2005. As a result, all of the employees employed by Rainbow DBS Company LLC at this location will be laid off permanently. Because of this, we are issuing this notice pursuant to any potential obligation under the federal Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (“WARN”). Under WARN, we are required to give you notice of our intent to layoff employees. These layoffs will result in your termination, and the permanent elimination of your position.

We anticipate that your last day of work will be between March 4 and March 31, 2005. You do not have bumping rights. Please return the attached acknowledgment form indicating you have received this notification to ******, Employee Relations Manager.

Not to get too off-topic, but I always pictured Bill Gates in a doomsday scenario. He keeps getting sued, can't run his company, so finally says, in his best Cartman voice "Screw you guys, I'm going home" and sends the ultra-secret Windows kill command, then goes off to be king of some 3rd world country ;)

Sean Mota said:
Scott that sounds very optimistic but I just received the following memo that was sent to all staff.

To: Rainbow HD Holdings LLC Employees

Date: March 1, 2005

Re: WARN Notice

As a result of the Board of Directors’ February 28, 2005 decision to close the direct broadcast satellite business, Rainbow HD Holdings LLC anticipates that it will cease operations at its facility located at 11 Penn Plaza, 2nd Floor New York, NY 10001 between March 4 and March 31, 2005. As a result, all of the employees employed by Rainbow DBS Company LLC at this location will be laid off permanently. Because of this, we are issuing this notice pursuant to any potential obligation under the federal Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (“WARN”). Under WARN, we are required to give you notice of our intent to layoff employees. These layoffs will result in your termination, and the permanent elimination of your position.

We anticipate that your last day of work will be between March 4 and March 31, 2005. You do not have bumping rights. Please return the attached acknowledgment form indicating you have received this notification to ******, Employee Relations Manager.

Well according to the law they have to give 60 days notice..

here's a copy of the text of the law from http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ETA/Title_20/Part_639/20CFR639.2.htm

WARN requires employers who are planning a plant closing or a mass
layoff to give affected employees at least 60 days' notice of such an
employment action. While the 60-day period is the minimum for advance
notice, this provision is not intended to discourage employers from
voluntarily providing longer periods of advance notice. Not all plant
closings and layoffs are subject to the Act, and certain employment
thresholds must be reached before the Act applies. WARN sets out
specific exemptions, and provides for a reduction in the notification
period in particular circumstances. Damages and civil penalties can be
assessed against employers who violate the Act.

MONSTERS was the light in my life...pitiful life, huh? Be it as it may I will send in my money 'til nothing is left but static.

I wonder if Voom would be willing to sell receivers to renters so that I can continue to get HD locals? Might be a way to recoup some bucks.

But, I guess, hope against hope is that, if "money is in place" that SOME way will be found to keep it on the air. I'd be willing to pay the same rate for just the HD channels. Thanks Sean for the small glimmer of light...

Damn greed.

zombie said:
WARN requires employers who are planning a plant closing or a mass layoff to give affected employees at least 60 days' notice of such an employment action.
And they state March 4 as the earliest date? Are they not missing something, like 56 days?

MarcelV said:
And they state March 4 as the earliest date? Are they not missing something, like 56 days?
Technically a severence package that covers the time could work for them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts