Special Free System of the Week Contest Ends 7.7.2008 - Satellite AV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My most memorable 4th of July was watching the fireworks out the window of my father's hospital room when he was seriously ill. Thankfully he covered.

While growing up, my most memorable 4th of July was when .......

I don't recall ever growing up.

But, I do remember a fireworks show where things went very wrong resulting in some very impressive explosions.

:eek:

I rode my bike up to the local fireworks stand with my friends and we bought loads of "black cats" with the hopes of some fun. We had the bright idea of making one big firecracker by carefully unpacking each individual one and dumping the power in a big pile. That took forever and it only produced a big flash...oh well.

July 4th... 2006. A buddy of mine on the same lake that my wife & I have a cottage on asked if he and his family could come over to light some fireworks on our shore. He didn't have a waterfront place and said he was concerned about the potential of fire or injury to those on the ground. It made sense to me so I said "Sure, why not".

Our wives decided it was a good reason to combine our previously separate BBQs at our house. The more the merrier I thought.

Well, he showed up in his P/U truck in the early afternoon and the 8 foot bed was filled with all kinds of stuff - up to class C stuff if I recall correctly. We unloaded the "cargo". The rest of his extended family came over shortly thereafter.

As dusk approached, we got all the fireworks close to where we'd light them - but not too close if you know what I mean. We created a "launching pad" of sorts consisting of some concrete board on top of a sheet of plywood - and angled it out over the lake.

Darkness came and people all over the lake started lighting their fireworks. It was quite loud and some had some pretty decent stuff, too. We held off as long as we could, when my buddy handed me a lighter and asked if I'd help him set this stuff off. I asked him "Is the Pope Catholic?" Everyone was on our beach, neighbors, too, in beach chairs looking out at the lake. The news of our fireworks spread pretty quickly.

We got down to business and set up a few and began alternating the lighting of fuses. "Oohs" and "ahhs" were plentiful. Hollering encouragement from across the lake was constant. We spent a solid 30 minutes of fuse lighting and pleased everyone on the beach - the few dozen boats in the water in front of us, and anyone else that could see the display, too.

The next day we picked up all the trash, etc. I asked my buddy how he managed to amass so much fireworks - and he said every week, he'd buy stuff - and in the "off seasons", the store he went to often offered "2 for 1" deals. He became a "regular" and was given some pretty decent "volume discounts". I asked what he actually spent and he said it was about $700 to $800. He estimated we lit a little over $2k worth of fireworks off that night.

It was not just the most memorable - but the most enjoyable 4th, ever.

while growing up my most memorable 4th of July was when...We have our family reunion on the 4th,my brother was about 8 years old and my cousin(a girl) hit my brother in the eye with a piece of ice and he cried like a baby,my dad recorded it on one of those reel to reel recorders,we still have and make fun of him 30 years later.

While growing up, my most memorable 4th of July was when we went into town to watch the fireworks, and a bunch of guys jumped out of an airplane (with parachutes) and one of them landed right in front of me!

As an adult I can echo Pepper's experience. We were TDY in Keyport WA, and went to the local base for the 4th of July celebrations. I tried to attract my 2 year old son's attention to the paratroopers jumping from helicopters, but they were too high. Suddenly, one landed directly in front of us and my son's eyes went wide! He followed the rest of them from when they jumped until they landed.

As a kid, I don't have any strong memories of the 4th (personal fireworks were a summer long experience). In retrospect, I probably best remember the parades down Main Street. Back in the 50s and early 60s, everyone went to watch. There were the local National Guard and fire trucks, but most memorable now are the veterans. I didn’t understand then why so many of them dressed up in their old military uniforms to walk down the street, but I think I know better now. Truly they were the “Greatest Generation”, and thank God we have more today.

Probably the most memorable 4th of July was 1982, standing on the second story roof of my newly built home, watching fireworks from two equidistant cites & then enjoying the grand finale's from both venues. No crowds, no traffic!
2nd best part was getting back down off the ladder without breaking my neck!;)

Growing up on a farm I don't really remember any particularly special 4th of July, but dad always tried to have LOTS of hay down to put in because there were always people around who had the day off and we would have extra help to get the hay in!

While growing up, my most memorable 4th of July was when..........
Doing at home fireworks, my brother in law put the fire work in the tube upside down. I realized just at the last sec and turned my back. I had burn holes in my clothes and hair.

While growing up, my most memorable 4th of July was when...my pet pug chewed a string of firecrackers while they were going off. Not a pretty sight.

fourth of July

we went to a family friends house out on the bay he owned a car dealership in town so he had some cash.. He called out some firework people to setup some fireworks at his house he said took them a day and a half to finish. It think it was better than the city's show at the park every year. :up

Every year the family would get together swim and cook out and them watch a fireworks show ... some years there wasn't much fireworks but we always had a great time plus the family being together :)

While growing up, (I'm not sure I did either) my most memorable 4th of July experiences were at my grandfather's house. We could watch the town fireworks from across the Hudson River. We used to have some of our own fireworks too. The police came and confiscated some one time. Just as they were leaving we set off just one more.:D

Best 4th of July, as a child:

One year our neighbor’s brought over a small cannon, which was fired off several times while we lit our fireworks (M80s, candlesticks, etc)....it was one loud celebration! Good thing we lived out in the country!!!

Most memorable 4th of July:

Sometime in the late 60s, my friends and I were camping in Yosemite Valley, CA in anticipation of the annual "Firefall" at Yosemite Falls. A huge group of Hells Angels descended into the valley with the roar of hundreds of Harleys echoing off the canyon walls. Eventually things got out of hand, and we found ourselves under martial law by hundreds of rangers, police, sheriffs and state troopers in full riot gear. Even I got detained walking from my tent to the bathroom. What a camping nightmare!

Last edited:
While growing up, my most memorable 4th of July was on a boat off the coast of Atlantic City. The city had planned a large fireworks display to be staged from a barge in the ocean. We kept a safe distance away, but by far had a superior viewing position than most on land. Then the accident happened - the fireworks ignited before they were fully set up and started exploding right on the deck of the barge. The technicians and crew jumped overboard into the water to save themselves from being burned and had to be rescued by the state police and Coast Guard. I don't believe anyone was seriously injured, and we got one of the more interesting firework displays I can ever recall seeing.

Most memorable July 4th experience was last year watching the fireworks on the lake with my son.

My most memorable Fourth of July --Growing Up?-- Shortly after WWII was over, some flat-tops and submarines were being decommission and our neighborhood was treated to some of the most beautiful high exploding parachute flares. Most would float for a long time and most would burn out before coming down to earth. But then we heard the loudest bunch of sirens I had ever heard in my long six years of life. We looked over the cliff and saw the roof of the gas station at the bottom of the cliff was sending up one of the biggest plumes of fire and smoke I had ever seen! I think that ALL of the fire trucks from Tacoma, Fort Lewis and McChord came to fight the fire. They got it out before any it got to the gas tanks, but it took several hours.
If the police or fire people came up to where we had been, we never saw them... But then we were all watching the big fire-display. And no, the furniture/chair factory fire was not caused by those flares!

After I grew up, our choir at Calvary Temple, Seattle did the premier for "I Love America". I still sing that song, "I'm Just a FLAG WAVING American!". And I heard the tape last year from Mt. Rushmore's Group doing that program, and I still knew almost all the words and all the music from the whole canata. Now that is worth remembering.

when i was living in hawaii we did our own fire works. also my inlaws made laulau and we ate and did fireworks. our neighborhood was thick smoke. my new car cover caught fire too because of the fireworks. i love chinese
new years they really do fireworks too :)
john

While growing up my most memorable fourth of July was.....

When I was in my teens my older brother brought me to Old Orchard Beach to watch the fireworks. We sat a few hundred yards away from where they were launching the fireworks. Something went wrong and all of the fireworks started going off on the ground. The crowd around us got up off the sand and everyone started running toward the fireworks to see what was going on. A couple seconds later the crowd came running back toward us when they realized how incredibly stupid it was to be running toward fireworks that were exploding on the beach. It was the best fireworks show I've ever seen, since they all went off quickly and much closer than usual. As far as I know no one was hurt.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)