Star Trek: Picard

ABQ, is miles high city + or - 5,200 feet above sea level.

Sandia Mountain tops out at 10,600 feet above sea level!;):cool::hatsoff
If you aren't reasonably familiar with local geography, none of that matters. It isn't obvious from pictures which are the usual clues we're given to establish a location. Unless there's a clearly defined tree line or a snow cap, it is just another big hill. If you've never been to the island of Hawaii (and maybe even if you had), you probably wouldn't know that there are two mountains taller than 13,600' there. Mauna Loa, the shorter of the two, is the largest mountain (by volume) on the planet.

The landmarks must be widely known and can't be confused with any other similar looking geographical features.

The episode is full of references to pretty much every previous version of Star Trek.

This year is doing a much better job, but I’m getting the impression that this is really about 3 hours of actual material, crammed into 10 hours.

Just watched it, did the writers forget that Picard first meets Guinan in the 19th Century ( Time’s Arrow, the Mark Twain episodes) ?

Just watched it, did the writers forget that Picard first meets Guinan in the 19th Century ( Time’s Arrow, the Mark Twain episodes) ?
Unless Guinan time-travels to the 19th Century at some point in the future, but the other possibility is the this is an alternative time-line Guinan that had not yet met Picard. So maybe the change is further back in time.

Unless Guinan time-travels to the 19th Century at some point in the future, but the other possibility is the this is an alternative time-line Guinan that had not yet met Picard. So maybe the change is further back in time.
But the alternative timeline does not until the 15th, that is what the show says, seems like they are again just changing things as far as the Star Trek rules of time travel to fit the story or just saying these things to avoid the mess up ( forgot about Time’s Arrow).

The current Time Travel Rules ( one moment changing something, then a alternative timeline) were set up in the 2009 Star Trek Movie, which was written by Alex Kurtzman, who is also the show runner of Picard.

That's the easiest way to not have to do research into Trek prime universe history...just say "oh well, now we're in an alternate timeline and some things happened differently (or not at all). It saves the writers time, but the fans always (or almost always) catch it.

I haven't seen the episode yet - plan on watching it later this afternoon...

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Just finished watching it...man, never trust a Borg queen, ever. They're almost as bad as Q.
Enjoyed the bus homage to ST:IV, the stealing the police car and Rios' whole "yak" to the ICE cop had me laughing.

And yep, the writers messed the whole Guinan thing up...

My assumption is that Guinan didn't recognize Picard at first due to the fact that 150 years had passed (for her) since the events of Time's Arrow, he was much older looking than when she last saw him, she wasn't expecting to see him for hundreds of more years, and she was preoccupied with getting off planet. Because as soon as he mentioned his name, there was a moment of recognition and she immediately changed course and agreed to help him.

Reactions: Foxbat
It is, IMHO, a unique to sci-fi fandom to obsess about “cannon” and about actor changes. Especially ST.

I’m as guilty as anybody, but I am willing to let this one go. The writers just screwed up. They could have just as easily have had her recognize him without any changes to the plot at all.

Then they would have to explain why Guinan looked like Whoopi Goldberg in 1893, a much younger Ito Aghayere in 2024, and Whoopi again in 2365.

“Cannon” exists in genres other than Sci-Fi. Imagine if the grizzled detective who grew up in Chicago and moved to Florida after his wife was murdered in the previous books had it come out in a later book that he was really from Detroit and his family moved to Chicago when he was a teenager. Changes the character.

Then they would have to explain why Guinan looked like Whoopi Goldberg in 1893, a much younger Ito Aghayere in 2024, and Whoopi again in 2365.
Well, either way. They would have to explain why Guinan looked like a 37 year old Whoopi Goldberg in 1893, but a 67 year old (and far larger) Whoopi Goldberg in 2024, and again like a 37 year old, slimmer Whoopi Goldberg in 2365.

BTW, the “new” Guinan, Ito Aghavere, is 29.

Well, either way. They would have to explain why Guinan looked like a 37 year old Whoopi Goldberg in 1893, but a 67 year old (and far larger) Whoopi Goldberg in 2024, and again like a 37 year old, slimmer Whoopi Goldberg in 2365.

BTW, the “new” Guinan, Ito Aghavere, is 29.
I understand the new actress, but the storyline is what has me peeved off, Picard is a sequel series to the Series and Movies, not a reboot.

If the writers paid any attention, the storyline would of been the same if Picard went into the bar, Guinan said long time no see, Picard said I need your help, she then had her rant about Humanity, Picard says I need your help in preventing a change in the timeline about to happen and finding the Watcher, she says no, Picard then convinced her to do it, off they go, he finds the Watcher, storyline still intact.

The whole premise of traveling back in time to "correct" anomalies/abberations is that not all timelines are the same. It is even more important to consider that in the context of ancients and time travelers.

The whole premise of traveling back in time to "correct" anomalies/abberations is that not all timelines are the same. It is even more important to consider that in the context of ancients and time travelers.
Again, going by the rules Star Trek set up and being consistent with their storylines, not debating if Time Travel is real.

Again, going by the rules Star Trek set up and being consistent with their storylines, not debating if Time Travel is real.
My point was that timelines can be changed by tinkering with historical events. It isn't reasonable to assume that every trip back to 2024 is going to present an identical history. Picard knows that the timeline is going to be somehow altered in three days. It could have just as easily been altered three days (or three hundred years) earlier.

Each flap of a butterfly's wings create an entirely new timeline.

The director for Picard this season is Leah Thompson from Back to the Future movies. She played Marty's mom. So maybe they are using some of the time travel rules from those movies.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Foxbat
Another thing worth considering is the fact that Picard and crew are in an alternate timeline created by Q. Who knows what rules would apply? This could all be some kind of holodeck-type illusion he created. Is he so omniscient he knows exactly what moment could be changed hundreds of years ago that would result in the emergence of a brutal xenophobic human intergalactic empire, with Picard and gang in key positions that would allow them to meet up again, at the exact moment the Borg Queen is about to be executed?

Reactions: MikeD-C05