Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Good funny in cheek story, funny to see Chappel has the hots on Spock!!:biggrin:hatsoff
It seemed to me as though Spock kissed her back and just beforehand was about to admit he had feelings for her. No, I don't know how that is reconsiled with TOS.

Reactions: N5XZS
It seemed to me as though Spock kissed her back and just beforehand was about to admit he had feelings for her. No, I don't know how that is reconsiled with TOS.
Remember this was ten years before the original series so Spock matures and learns to suppress his human emotions much better in the original show. :smug

Remember three things.

- In the original treatment for the series, from which "The Cage" comes from, Roddenberry had the Number One character as being the cold logical character, with the Spock character being less fleshed out and a smaller role. This is one of the things that NBC objected to, and the two characters were combined with Number One's personality grafted onto Spock.

- One of the other ideas that Roddenberry had was that he could save on writing, because there was so much pulp sci-fi out there that he could pick up for low cost and then just morph into Star Trek. This created the Spock character in many ways, because what ever characteristic an alien needed for a story, they just used Spock. So he has super strength, space hippie beliefs, multiple afterlife beliefs, devotion to logic, weird male heat based sex life, etc. These were not a concuss choice for a character's back story, but just evolved as they went along. In reality, if they had proposed Spock as he was in writing on day one, no one would have taken it seriously.

- I am as guilty as the next person, but this is a TV show. It is not a history documentary. "Canon" is all fun to argue about, but at the end of the day, they can make up whatever they want to.

A fun episode. Perhaps I would have liked it a little better if (a) we hadn’t just had a Kirk episode and (b) I hadn’t just seen an episode of Voyager where they discovered an intelligence in a nebula.

Still it shows a fine understanding of the little things. Kirk only met Pike once, when he was promoted to Fleet Captain. (So presumably we are done with Kirk eps for a while.) And Spock has a problem protecting his queen in tri-d chess. Stuff like that is like catnip for longtime fans.

The best part was Kirk meeting Spock. It was awesome that they made absolutely nothing of it. That was perfect.

I too enjoyed it but I thought it moved rather slowly for much of the episode. Yeah, the entity in the cloud has been done again and again. :( Was there a gas cloud entity in STE?