Stay Away From Voom!

ponder

Original poster
Jul 2, 2004
This is horrendous!

After starting to get the process going last month - an installer finally came with the equipment to get Voom going. He did a great job and hit Rainbow with over 90%...... And then the trouble started!

He called to activate the box to Installers Inc. and they said they were backlogged and to have the consumer (me) call at 9:00pm to activate the service. Calling back at that time, they had no idea who I was, and said that the box didn't exist in their files, and said it was Voom's fault.

Then we called Voom. To our astonishment, they said they didn't recognize the box either!

(geez, I don't know - the thing has
a big Voom logo on it!)

After waiting since Mid-June for start up - Voom has told us they need 72 hours (that's right - 3 days) to find our box! Three days of having my system out away from the wall........ I don't think so, not after waiting since last month. I gave them to the next business day to "find" the box or the deal is off.

I can whole-heartedly warn everybody in this forum to stay away from Voom until they're out of diapers and have grown up... A LOT!

The good news is that irregardless of Voom's best efforts, HDTV is here to stay.....I can use a terrestial antenna until the other satellite providers expand content. I just wanted the Olympics anyway.

These guys are idiots - nothing better than a wild west medicine show...... At least an old fashioned medicine show is more entertaining!

ponder said:
This is horrendous!

After starting to get the process going last month - an installer finally came with the equipment to get Voom going. He did a great job and hit Rainbow with over 90%...... And then the trouble started!

He called to activate the box to Installers Inc. and they said they were backlogged and to have the consumer (me) call at 9:00pm to activate the service. Calling back at that time, they had no idea who I was, and said that the box didn't exist in their files, and said it was Voom's fault.

Then we called Voom. To our astonishment, they said they didn't recognize the box either!

a big Voom logo on it!)

After waiting since Mid-June for start up - Voom has told us they need 72 hours (that's right - 3 days) to find our box! Three days of having my system out away from the wall........ I don't think so, not after waiting since last month. I gave them to the next business day to "find" the box or the deal is off.

I can whole-heartedly warn everybody in this forum to stay away from Voom until they're out of diapers and have grown up... A LOT!

The good news is that irregardless of Voom's best efforts, HDTV is here to stay.....I can use a terrestial antenna until the other satellite providers expand content. I just wanted the Olympics anyway.

These guys are idiots - nothing better than a wild west medicine show...... At least an old fashioned medicine show is more entertaining!

irregardless isn't a word

ponder said:
This is horrendous!

LOL, you forgot that most people here are already Voom customers and some are even happy.

ponder said:
This is horrendous!
...He called to activate the box to Installers Inc. and they said they were backlogged and to have the consumer (me) call at 9:00pm to activate the service. Calling back at that time, they had no idea who I was, and said that the box didn't exist in their files, and said it was Voom's fault.

Not sure why you feel the need to warn off potential customers based solely on your bad experience. Besides - you screwed up by accepting the idea of calling back due to their backlog. You never should have agreed to that - should have told the installer to either stay until it was activated or take it out.

My installer wanted to split too, after waiting on hold longer than the install itself took. But he stayed with it and waited until he got thru. I wouldnt stay away from voom, its way too kool. You just have to keep your chin up, dont give up, and keep at it. You'll get voom soon. My first installer said no way because I'm in massive tree country. I did a sat check myself with an old D* dish and a meter, and found the voom sat came in easy thru the trees and all. The second installer came out and installed. I get 93 on my voom sig, thru the trees, and have NEVER had any dropouts after 3 weeks of voom. So, sometimes you have to get aggressive to get your voom. And you'll feel better in the end...

Think about this.... If they have to wait on hold for a while that must mean other Voomers are getting activated as well..... sounds like a lot of customers and not enough employees.

Hey, new company, new product. Goes with the territory.

Once you get Vooming it's great!

And as randym431 says, you'll feel better in the end. Maybe even both ends. :shh

Regardless of what some people may say Voom rules, and I would not get rid of the service for anything. Sure the box has issues, the SD channels may have noise on them, and the signal may drop when a HUGE storm rolls by. Those things aside, I love the HD picture, AND YOU CAN'T GET MORE HD CHANNELS FROM ANY OTHER SOURCE!

In addition I have heard from a recently converted cable user that Vooms picture is much better then the local cable co here in Chicagoland.

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but we should all try to be a little more patient with Voom. I am sure they are doing their best and as with any company there are good reps and bad.

my installer was on the phone trying to activate my box until it got dark outside..i finnaly told him to take off and just give me the phone and activated it myself.

Ponder,

if you are interested, send an email to "Wilt Hildenbrand" wilth@optonline.net. Activating the box should be no big deal even if it "they can't find it" which I find very difficult to believe since they had an order for installation and installation comes along with equipment. It sounds to me that it is just a miss up and should be able to clear up very easily. Just send Wilt your information with the problem you are having and I am sure he will take care of this problem.

I switched over from my local cable co here in Va and all I can tell you the PQ is better on Voom. Also I am getting more HD channels than any other service thats out there. I would contact Wilt and he should be able to get your boxes activated. Also I would call Voom CSR and ask for a free month of service for your frustrations. Voom does try to please all its customers.

ponder said:
This is horrendous!

a big Voom logo on it!)

So you immediately jumped on the net, searched out the biggest voom forum, signed up and posted this babble? Where do I mail the pacifier too?

Ahh, don't be so hard on the guy. He was pissed off at the time and wanted to vent. I didn't have great install experience, and posted my story of woe when I found out my install was still two weeks away after already waiting a month. Since then Voom's been installed and it works great. It does have its quirks, but nothing earth shattering. In retrospect I feel kinda silly for posting that Voom flame. But at the time, I sure was pissed off! What's that about hindsight being 20/20...

I'll be sure to tell all my friends to stay away from Voom because you had a bad experience. Thanks! :eek:

Although, like just about every other member here, I did have some problems during the install. But I was a big enough boy to stick it out until it was resolved. I have now been Vooming for over 3 months and really haven't had any major issues and totally love it. :yes

Hmmmm, what a dilemma. I may have to think of this some more. NOT! :rolleyes:

Seawaves said:
Here's the lowdown on this from dictionary.com:

ir·re·gard·less ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-gärdls)
adv. Nonstandard

Regardless.

[Probably blend of irrespective, and regardless.]

Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

Get A Life Category.......

Seawaves said:

Yeah Geez, Sorry about that.

I'm sure if I correct my grammer it will solve big things like world terrorism....

"Irregardless",

the word is listed in "Random House Dictionary of the English Language" as appropiate to achieve greater emphasis. "Webster's" lists the word as humorous redundancy.

So "irregardless" is, actually, a word.

By the way, if you post can you not waste everybody's time and stick to the topic. I hold the people that are slamming me in this thread in high honor, at least they have an opinion.

I have an opinion..... Voom still sucks.

Hmmmm, 1st post is a troll, maybe its an eBay box.

Thats the only reason I could think of, if an installer showed up with a box that wasnt recognised.

The Oxford English Dictionary is the only accepted authority on the evolution of the English language; it is both the de facto and de jure standard.

If it ain't in the Oxford English Dictionary, then it ain't a word. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)