Switching from Directv to COMCAST!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
He's already cancelled Comcast and DIsh doesnt carry CSN Chicago in HD 24/7...heck they may not even carry the feed in HD for the games

This is the DirecTV forum, isn't it? Why do we care what Dish carries? I thought when he said "dish" it was a generic term for the "satellite dish" being that this is a DirecTV thread.

no the reason he was saying Dish wasn't even considered was the reason he gave.
He was listing the positives and negatives of Comcast in his Original post

I am laying in my bed in a hotel on Fort Lauderdale beach and they have COMCAST! THEY SUCK! I miss my DirecTv as I have had them since 2004 and before that Charter Communications. i will never go back to a cable company after being with DirecTv this long. I had Comcast back in the 90's when I lived in downtown Ft Lauderdale and I would have thought after all these years they would have changed but here they have not. Good luck with your choice. I guess it varies from city to city?

I suppose occasionally it's nice having a 50 meg service when downloading a large file, but what's the point really? It's like having a car that does 200 mph. Where can you drive that fast? I have 20 meg service. It fits my needs and then some.

Yea there isnt too much of a difference other than the large file downloads. Speed wise, everything seems to be on par, Att is slower by a few seconds on page loads but a few seconds isnt going to kill me.

I have Comcrap for my internet as it is the only game in town since the fios rollout stopped when they were halfway through the neighborhood where I just bought my house. I get about 2mbps down at most with Comcrap performance internet, for the same price with fios where I used to live I once hit 4.7mbps down and averaged well over 3.5mbps... god Comcrap is terrible but im stuck...

As far as tv, they are junk where I am. No whole home dvr, prices are high, and if you pay for premiums like I do you only get the main channel in hd. Example, if I have HBO with Comcrap I ONLY get HBOeHD and the rest (hbo2, hbosig, hbocom, hbofam etc...) are all in SD. Really? If I pay for premiums I want to get the whole pack in HD... idiots... I guess the only good thing about Comcrap is that every month or so a rep comes by to try to get me to bundle my internet with tv. I guess its worth the laugh since shooting down their "we have the most HD" pitch is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

This is the DirecTV forum, isn't it? Why do we care what Dish carries? I thought when he said "dish" it was a generic term for the "satellite dish" being that this is a DirecTV thread.

I was comparing Dish (Dish Network) with Directv as far as why I did not consider Dish Network! Having Comcast Sports Net in HD FULL time is a BIG thing. I'm actually surprised at how many RSN's are available on Uverse. Uverse has come a long way sense inital launch, but it still has a ways to go. I really wish they would have ran fiber to the prem and all of Uverse's issues would have been solved.

Comcast just got the boot from my house...... Uggh.... They were going to install an Anyroom dvr in my house, when I ordered I was told that I would get two dvr's one for my living room with two tuners, one for my master bedroom with two tuners, and two satellite units for the remaining tv's. They would all talk with each other and I would have dvr service in all rooms. That turned out to not be the case... It was one DVR unit with two tuners and the rest of the house is shared from the two tuners.. I was upset over this and called up com cast's office of the CEO and was treated terribly. I'm so pissed off at comcast I am having ATT internet installed (UVERSE) tomorrow and I'm completely ripping out Comcast. They lady at the CEO's office said they offer the best service ever. Kind of hard to do that if you can't even meet my needs in equipment. The service I got from comcast was so bad, that I recommend everyone to get rid of their comcast service! WOW is all I can say!
Did you end up in a road side ditch or playing Platoon with Charlie Sheen?

I had to switch from D* to Comcast due to LOS issues at my new place--there was just no way. The only way I have been able to deal is with my Tivo Premiers, which have a new software upgrade to bring them closer in line with the Virgin Media boxes in the UK.

The HD picture here actually isn't that bad, but there are 3 horribly annoying things:

1. The D* channel lineup makes sense, whereas Comcast has thrown channels every which way, and if there is an HD version it is separated--e.g. History is in HD so it is 672, whereas H2 is not and it is 231. The "same channel number for HD" method that D* uses just makes so much sense... It also seems like Comcast has just thrown channels down as they reach agreements vs. try to put them together in any sort of neighborhoods.

2. I live on the west coast. I like the east coast feeds of the cable channels. I don't like waiting 'til 9pm to watch Mad Men or any of my other shows... I want it on my DVR by the time I am home, and can watch it at 7 or 8 if I want to.

3. They pulled down damn near all the HD feeds of the premium movie channels right before I got the service in November, while D* added them all -- The booklet I even got even showed them. I figured "this won't be so bad"... The tech and people answering the phone couldn't explain why they weren't showing other than "You have a cablecard--we need to re-hit it" -- it took 5 phone calls to get "HBO and Showtime discontinued those feeds... they don't provide them any more so we can't offer them"... yeah... right. D* just added them. I did some research and found out Comcast has been pulling them from ALL their markets--so I now get HBO Plus West, Signature West and HBO West and Showtime West in HD. That's it. SO yet another East coast feed option gone (not counting the single HBO East that is only in SD now).

SO, if you get a Tivo Premier, it is standable... and does have some extra HD channels in the standard packages.... but at the expense of premiums which I truly care about---and their Motorola DVR is AWFUL. You really need a Tivo. Im getting D* back as soon as I can!
--Nat

I was comparing Dish (Dish Network) with Directv as far as why I did not consider Dish Network! Having Comcast Sports Net in HD FULL time is a BIG thing. I'm actually surprised at how many RSN's are available on Uverse. Uverse has come a long way sense inital launch, but it still has a ways to go. I really wish they would have ran fiber to the prem and all of Uverse's issues would have been solved.
they also need to get back NHL network. and fix it so you don't need to buy starz and showtime to get MLB network, NBA TV and other channels in U-300.

My disappointment with DirecTV is with the company not carrying a string of non-premium channels that should be on its system in HD. My appreciation with DirecTV is the quality of a picture that is in HD.

Now the disappointment and appreciation expressed aren't alone. I can say other things. But I've looked into other competition, and what they present isn't enough to get me to switch. So, in the meantime, I have made a choice that is okay for the time being. I think it will be a couple more years before another satellite gets launched that would allow greater room to bring in more non-premium channels which, by then, I am hoping will complete the lineup. (I'm referring to all non-premiums that are available in high definition actually getting carried in that format by DirecTV.)

For anyone who makes the decision to switch providers: I wish you well. I hope it works out. If it isn't a success, it shouldn't harm one who is willing to try out another company.

My disappointment with DirecTV is with the company not carrying a string of non-premium channels that should be on its system in HD. My appreciation with DirecTV is the quality of a picture that is in HD.

Everyone has their preferences... Personally I love the fact that D* carries all the premiums in HD--if I hadn't moved to this tree infested new place, I'd have never switched. I'd take all the premiums in HD with some of the basic channels in SD vs. them doing what Comcast did and remove all the HD premiums and add crap like HSN and QVC HD.

Nat

Ok, as someone who had DirecTV and switched to Comcast two years ago I thought it was time to put my two cents in.

HD Picture-DirecTV wins, but Comcast here comes very close, I live in a rebuilt Comcast area(Metro Detroit), very few analog channels, almost all Digital, so plenty of room for channels, no blocking or pixels, just a very, very good HD picture, but D* is a tad better.

HD Channels-Comcast wins, here in my area they have more then D*, like how D* just got E Television, C* has already had it(never watch it ), they also have more Premiums in HD, all the HBOs in HD, the Encores, Starz, etc, the only one they don't have is HD Net Movies, but they do have BBC America HD and my wife will kill me if she loses that.

Price-Comcast, Triple play is well worth it, I now pay about $157.00 a month, that includes 2 HD DVRs(first one is included in the package, second is $4.95), 2 HD Boxes(also $4.95 each), all the channels and 2 premiums(HBO and Starz), Broadband, Home Phone.
The only way D* would come close to that price is if I got the entertainment package with 1 HD DVR, 1 HD Box and just HBO, which came out to $60.00 a month the first year, then Broadband and Phone would be $99.00 a month from Comcast.

The Hardware-DirecTV wins, the menus, guides, etc on the boxes are leaps ahead of Comcasts boxes, but the boxes from Comcast are fine for basic info and for DVR programing.
As far as Cable going out, I have had only 2 outages in the last 2 years, the longest being 2 hours, I know sooner or later there will be a massive storm and it could be out for days but it has not happened yet, on the other hand every time we had heavy rain, D* went out.

On Demand-Comcast wins, there is so much on, Comcast really has this On Demand thing down just right, so much programing, from tons of free movies in HD, TV shows, etc., and if I forget to record something, it is always on On Demand the next day.

Now this is from someone who had D* and loved it, I had no problems with it, no complaints at all (except no BBC in HD), it is just that Comcast works out for me better for pricing.

Ok, as someone who had DirecTV and switched to Comcast two years ago I thought it was time to put my two cents in.

Price-Comcast, Triple play is well worth it, I now pay about $157.00 a month, that includes 2 HD DVRs(first one is included in the package, second is $4.95), 2 HD Boxes(also $4.95 each), all the channels and 2 premiums(HBO and Starz), Broadband, Home Phone.
The only way D* would come close to that price is if I got the entertainment package with 1 HD DVR, 1 HD Box and just HBO, which came out to $60.00 a month the first year, then Broadband and Phone would be $99.00 a month from Comcast.

what is the pricing after the promotions end? That's where they get you at CCCPomcast.

what is the pricing after the promotions end? That's where they get you at CCCPomcast.

What is the pricing of DirecTV after their promotions end.

My promotion ended a year ago.

Bruce, are you sure about those stb prices? When I switched my mom from Comcast to WOW (she lives in Warren) last year, her two sd non-dvr boxes were $7 each and the phone modem was $7 as well. She only had the double play with tv and phone and was paying $190 (she had two tvs with everything except hd and dvrs). I heard that Comcast charges $16.95 for hd dvr's and $8.95 for hd stb's.EDIT: I just visited Comcasts site and put in my address and the HD DVR is $15.95 and HD STB is $8.95 (although the hd stb is free with your first set). Phone modem is still $7. The package your described came out to be $162.94 before taxes for the first year promo price. What speed is your internet at? This was with the 20/4 tier.

Last edited:
While per box it is $4.95, there is a $7.00 HD DVR fee also (just looked at my bill, did not realize that was there), but I was correct in my total bill which is $156.86.

I used to have Comcast a few years ago, but when I moved out of their service area I opted to try something different. Originally wanted the Dish vip922, I did not have line of sight for Dish's Eastern Arc. So I went for DirecTV. DirecTV has gotten so much better since I got it. The HDUI, Pandora, AMC HD, the premium channels that were added in HD for instance, etc...

Still Comcast has a major advantage. Some niche HD Channels and On Demand. I liked how you went to on demand and the stuff played right away (HD or not). Bundle pricing and 105mbps internet, etc...

But Software and equipment wise DirecTV wins hands down. The Comcast UI hasn't really changed at all in the last 10 years. Its still a very archaic system with puny hard drives. Sure the newest DVR has 500GB (if your lucky enough to randomly get it), but remember it records in MPEG2 - which takes twice as much space than a DirecTV MPEG4 recording. I also can't stand Comcast (or any cable providers) channel numbering scheme. Separate numbers for HD? Come on! You know how many times I would have to change the channel on my wife because she had the wrong ch on? Or fix series recordings so the HD version would record instead of SD? How about when I visit my inlaws who have Blue Ridge Cable. 90% of the time they are on the SD channel. Its just natural to go into the guide and type ch 2 and start surfing.

I would just like DirecTV to add some more HD channels, and I'd love if they could get VOD to instant stream, just like Netflix, Amazon, HBOGo, MaxGo and other services can instant stream. They have Pandora instant streaming now. That's another thing... I'd love to get Pandora in my other two rooms with regular HD boxes. They should be able to stream, I have a 12mbps connection to the internet. Heck HBOGo streams in very good HD quality on my xbox. Click and play - its instant. No downloading, no buffering, nada. It just works. I wish DirecTV on demand was the same way so I could get it in every room (not just the DVR). I liked how all the cable boxes could get VOD.

I used to have Comcast a few years ago, but when I moved out of their service area I opted to try something different. Originally wanted the Dish vip922, I did not have line of sight for Dish's Eastern Arc. So I went for DirecTV. DirecTV has gotten so much better since I got it. The HDUI, Pandora, AMC HD, the premium channels that were added in HD for instance, etc...

Still Comcast has a major advantage. Some niche HD Channels and On Demand. I liked how you went to on demand and the stuff played right away (HD or not). Bundle pricing and 105mbps internet, etc...

But Software and equipment wise DirecTV wins hands down. The Comcast UI hasn't really changed at all in the last 10 years. Its still a very archaic system with puny hard drives. Sure the newest DVR has 500GB (if your lucky enough to randomly get it), but remember it records in MPEG2 - which takes twice as much space than a DirecTV MPEG4 recording. I also can't stand Comcast (or any cable providers) channel numbering scheme. Separate numbers for HD? Come on! You know how many times I would have to change the channel on my wife because she had the wrong ch on? Or fix series recordings so the HD version would record instead of SD? How about when I visit my inlaws who have Blue Ridge Cable. 90% of the time they are on the SD channel. Its just natural to go into the guide and type ch 2 and start surfing.

I would just like DirecTV to add some more HD channels, and I'd love if they could get VOD to instant stream, just like Netflix, Amazon, HBOGo, MaxGo and other services can instant stream. They have Pandora instant streaming now. That's another thing... I'd love to get Pandora in my other two rooms with regular HD boxes. They should be able to stream, I have a 12mbps connection to the internet. Heck HBOGo streams in very good HD quality on my xbox. Click and play - its instant. No downloading, no buffering, nada. It just works. I wish DirecTV on demand was the same way so I could get it in every room (not just the DVR). I liked how all the cable boxes could get VOD.

Also hate Cable's HD number system. Have friends who have Time Warner, also my dad has it, and HD is in the 1800's, very annoying, where DirecTV is if ESPN HD and SD is 206. Easier to record as you stated.

Because I am very fortunate to not have any debt & my house & automobiles are payed all payed off & payed for(I only pay for utilities,property tax,auto insurance & gas,food,& Vonage for phone service),I have DIRECTV Premier with various sports packages,DISH Network America's Everything with Multisports & Blockbuster Package,Skyangel,& (talk about overkill) Knology cable(TiVo HD Premier DVR & Motorola HD receiver) & internet service,AND (more overkill) ATT DSL. My D* HD DVR's & receivers,Vonage phone service,& my computer are hooked up to my ATT DSL service,& my Roku boxes,E* HD DVR's & receiver,Logitech Revues,Apple TV,VUDU box,& Blu-ray disc players are hooked up to my Knology Broadband Internet service. The only thing I'm looking to add to all of this is an OTA outdoor antenna. Anyway,I just want to feel like I'm not missing out on anything.
I've already read that Verizon wants to drop DSL coverage in areas where they have FIOS(forcing customers to have to sign up for FIOS then) & raising their FIOS rates to current customers. Meanwhile,like I said before,I'll never see U-Verse in my area. Right now Knology(soon to be WOW!) is my "wanna-be" spare tire if for some reason the weather is so bad as to knock out satellite TV service,but chances are that any storm strong enough to knock out satellite TV coverage here,is also strong enough to knock out the electricity AND Knology service period(which has happened more times than I care to mention).

Like I said,I'm just fortunate in today's bad economy to be able to both have & afford the choices I have right now. Don't know what tomorrow holds,but I'm going to enjoy it today while I can today.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)