Switching from WiFi MRV to DECA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kbhouser

Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
San Jose, CA
I have been using MRV with 802.11g, between an HR23 and and HR22. The HR23 is in the family room with a wired connection to the WiFi router, and I have the media PC, the HR23 and a Blu-Ray player tied into it. So far so good. In the bedroom, the HR22 is not near a wired connection, so it is plugged into an identical WiFi router, along with a Nintendo Wii. I enabled MRV through the email method mentioned elsewhere, and most of the time things work as planned.

The problems I have are the occasional drop, where the video stops and the MRV is basically gone. Sometimes it picks up after a few seconds, other times, it can take several minutes.

The other issue is when each PVR is watching an HD program on the other, the WiFi can't keep up, and the video freezes and becomes unwatchable.

I am looking at switching to DECA based MRV, and I was hoping to get confirmation on the plan.

Current Setup:
1. 5LNB Dish (4-wire)
2. Zinwell 4x8 Multiswitch (cascaded to 2x16 switch for 3 SD DirecTivos)
3. Two RG6 to each Directv PVR and DirecTivos
4. Networking as described above (WiFi bridge to wired router)

Proposed Setup
1. Same dish
2. Replace 4x8 Multiswitch with SWM 8
2a. Cascade to 2x16 switch from Legacy 1 and 2 for SD DirecTivos​
3. Add SWM 8 way splitter with Power Inserter connected to the red port
4. Add DECA and power supply at home run router (not the above WiFI router), connect with RJ45 to router.
5. Add a DECA to each of the HR22/23 PVRs, and connect the output coax to Sat 1 input and RJ45 to the Ethernet port. THe input coax, home run to the wire closet, connects to the SWM 8Way spliter.

The last part I am not clear on. The diagram here:
http://www.weaknees.com/images/deca/deca-mrv-internet.jpg

Shows one wire to the box labelled HR21/22/23, and since I have two, does the second one connect directly to the splitter? Will it get power? Am I missing anything else? They also show a splitter with 2 red ports, where the ones I see on eBay dont' have this.

Thanks in advance.

Brad from San Jose

Sounds like the current setup may not done 100% correctly and you may be experiencing IP collision issues. If you may think about keeping this; try adding more details about how your setting are and makes and models of the hardware involved. If not, no worries.

I ask because I have used the non-DECA method since it was BETA without hiccups and on the setup below in my SIG line.

Sounds like the current setup may not done 100% correctly and you may be experiencing IP collision issues. If you may think about keeping this; try adding more details about how your setting are and makes and models of the hardware involved. If not, no worries.

I ask because I have used the non-DECA method since it was BETA without hiccups and on the setup below in my SIG line.

I agree on the collision issues, and since it is wireless, there may be other interference, such as the cordless phones. They are Buffalo devices, don't remember the model. A wired connection at 100Mbps would be diffrerent. There is no other traffic on the Wifi link, other than the occasional update to the Wii.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)