Tablet Market Share

The negative perception thus far is being driven by the hypotheticals / devils advocate demonstrated in the last two posts rather than actual experience or use cases.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

There is no experience or use cases yet. Without a rich application environment, and we know how one should grow, Windows RT is going to fail.

Which ones do we know are successful?
Apple
Google

Maybe:
Amazon

Unknown, but past experience is not good:
Windows 8 (everything prior to Windows 8 was essentially a no show).

Unlikely:
Blackberry

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

If pro will let me remote in/remote desktop via our servers, Wirelessly, I might be interested in it. But I have my doubts that MS can pull this off. At least they didn't have MS Bob introduce it.

I recognize that the new normal is small simple apps for different specific tasks. However, speaking for myself, I would not hesitate to pull the rigger on an iPad form factor that ran all my robust software I use on a daily basis on my windows desktop. Then, if I can add these special apps on top as they become available, I'm really pleased.

The key difference is in the operating system. Plus, add a couple connections like USB 2.0 standard for adding IO devices and we're good. Mouse and keyboard too.

I think if Microsoft can pull this off, they will have a winner and can compliment the iOS Apple world to complete everything we desire in a computing world.

One of the things I see with my iPad is that everything I do with it has limitations. But my desktop windows 7 platforms, it seems I can do anything I can imagine as there is a software that can handle it.

Sent from my iPad3 using SatelliteGuys app

Yes, I understand that but my thoughts are:

1. I already have an ipad3 and the surface RT is just another app tablet. In my kit, for travel the Surface RT would be redundant. What I want is a tablet form factor that runs all my win 7 software and powerful enough to edit and display ( anaglyph) 3D, which is the most robust software I use today. In other words, it needs to display and play my 3D Vegas Pro v12 playing from an SD card of clips. Handle full Excel spreadsheets and other windows 7 software.

2. I love the idea of the 5mm thin real keyboard cover design.

3. It is supposed to be out 1 qtr 2013 which will give me time to play with one at CES before final decision.

4. My philosophy is to get the top of the line and have it last for many years. But personally, I won't be in the market for one until Feb or March next year anyway. I believe a budget of $2500 will get me the top of the line Surface win 8 pro and the i7 processor, largest storage, model plus new software. This will replace my Dell XPS1210 laptop.

But, after putting the different hardware to my tests, I may change my mind if the hands on do not match the claims. This just seems to be the closest product design for my wish list right now.

Don, from what I've read around the web, I think you are dreaming about what the Surface Pro will bring to the table. Consider it as basically an upscale netbook with touch and you'll be about right on. But everything shows limited storage, no 'docking' as best as I can determine, and no i7. And of course, still a 10" screen just like netbooks.

If you're going to suffer Windows, you should at least get access to most Windows software applications. Windows RT doesn't offer that by any stretch of the imagination.

harshness said:
If you're going to suffer Windows, you should at least get access to most Windows software applications. Windows RT doesn't offer that by any stretch of the imagination.

Suffer windows? You are way behind the times. The last time I would recall suffering windows was with win2000. Xp and forward has been excellent here.
I have no intention of getting windows RT. I already have an iPad and that comes with the tablet apple apps mentality. I define it as every task requires a different app. Thus., the need for so many different apps. I'm not interested in another iPad like system, only an iPad form factor. I'm interested in the surface win 8 pro with intel processor. Here the mentality is traditional PC. A few software products to do many tasks. I won't need any more software products than I do on my present desktop.

lparsons21 said:
Don, from what I've read around the web, I think you are dreaming about what the Surface Pro will bring to the table. Consider it as basically an upscale netbook with touch and you'll be about right on. But everything shows limited storage, no 'docking' as best as I can determine, and no i7. And of course, still a 10" screen just like netbooks.

I'm only going by what I saw in the msft presentation. Storage is limited internally to 256gb, memory to 4gb. Other mfg of concept, such as Sony, will offer larger screen size but the tablet size is what I want anyway. Nothing wrong with net books except compute power. This will be no netbook. Not in price and not in performance.

Unlike my iPad, the win8 pro will have access to unlimited storage through the usb3 port and FWIW, I only need a 256 gb SSD in my large workstation for 3D editing, even though I have several additional drives connected for media and projects.

It's ok to compare the win rt surface to an iPad, but I'm thinking the win8 pro surface will be more robust than a MacBook Air.

I'm always leery of MSFT presentations because what they present doesn't always come to market, or at least not in the form/function that they show. It goes back to a very early MS invitation only presentation I went to that was showing the new Win95. I don't remember the details, but I do remember that what finally released as Win95 wasn't anywhere near as powerful or good as what we saw that day.

I thing future machines similar to what is proposed for the Surface Pro will depend on how well the SP sells into the market. Because while it is spec'd to be more powerful than what we've come to expect in netbooks, it still shares lots of look and feel from that dead market. The use of external storage is a plus for the geek/techie market, but not so much for the general consumer market. We'll have to wait and see just how they market it when it actually becomes available.

As to being more robust than the MacBook Air, I'll definitely have to see it. The Air is one slick bit of kit! So far in the marketplace the Air sells at a much higher pace than the Air-alikes the wintel mfgs have been offering.

As an aside, last night's NCIS-Los Angeles had a Surface RT in use. Pretty slick when they clicked that keyboard onto it. Of course, then they proceeded to do things with it that the RT can't do 'cause that software doesn't exist. All in all, a very good product placement, imo.

Lloyd- the analysts on wall street are looking for Microsoft to make it's comeback with the Surface Pro and consider the RT a yawner. The problem here is the timing and we won't see a real gain for at least a year. That is my evaluation for stock gain. But, I agree that the RT will not be an ipad killer, no more than the tablets from other Apple competitors are. Most of the public is not interested in the pro and like you said it will be the device for the techie/geek. But I would add to that, for business and technical users. This is where I believe, Microsoft has it's future. If it fails, well, I bought pretty low and the dividend is better than a bank so I'm not worried. Msft recently increased its dividend.

I think the presentation from any company is either what exists now or some future release. The latter is always questionable but I evaluate based on what I see the goal is. And, the goal, I believe, is realistic. If they fail, it will likely be because the RT fails and marketing will pull the whole Surface project. Time will tell.

As far as MacBook power, I may have a different view on what powerful means. I'm not talking about limiting to some MIPS data but rather how versatile the devices are in what you can do in tasks. I learned a real hard and rude awakening about Final Cut power for editing a few years ago. After 3 instructors and Apple classes, they finally admitted the Macbook can't do many things I needed to do. Their answer was I need to change what my clients demand and force them to think inside the Apple crate. If the MacBook or iMac does all you need it is probably a better choice. But for my work, Apple world is not aware of the planet Earth and I work on the planet Earth. The best I found is to run windows on the Macbook to recover some of my investment. Thanks to Parallels.

Virtually anything I do these days, I could do on either Windows or OSX. But I already own an iMac and have had a Mac of one sort or another for quite some time and have an investment in software that I wouldn't want to have to buy again. My main app, other than the internet stuff is Sibelius and of course, with that one my license covers 2 machines not-simultaneously and they can be Windows or Mac, so that wouldn't be an issue. My current iMac is a 27" 2009 model and I hate to move to something that I would consider a lesser machine. My laptop is an Acer with W7 (maybe W8 at some point) that does minimal service, primarily running Playon.

When I worked for a living, I used Macs but oft times also used Windows apps that had no OSX equivalent or was the equivalent was different enough to not share data with the company.

It will be interesting to watch how the Surface Pro does in the market. Frankly I hope it does well as we need the competition to keep both sides of the aisle competing.

Was it that the MacBook couldn't do what you needed, or that Final Cut couldn't?

If the RT performs poorly, MS will as well. The numbers show that the PC market is declining.

The Surface Pro is a nice ultrabook and at it's yet to be seen how the market embraces it.

If they don't make serious inroads into the tablet market they are going to be faced with their decline.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

The only way I will see Windows 8 at work will be looking at a tech blog on Internet Explorer. IT has decreed no copies of Win8 or Windows 2012 allowed. We're still waiting for Win7 SP1, too...

Like Lloyd, I can do pretty much anything I need to do with my iPad and my iMac so I don't see an Windows 8 products in my future. I can see the attraction for a Win 8 tablet for some PC users but, after reading the comments in the various forums here, I'd say that most of the people talking about the Win 8 tablets would really do much better with a laptop.

Suffer windows? You are way behind the times.
Actually, I was way ahead of the curve in using the Amiga's relatively efficient multitasking in 1985. Windows 7 added additional steps to get to almost everything (even the system tray stuff requires two steps). Windows 8 would seem to be a decided step backwards in multitasking by trying to give each application its own screen (sandbox?). This would be the impetus behind the "jack of all trades -- master of none" mentality that you favor.

Like Lloyd, I can do pretty much anything I need to do with my iPad and my iMac so I don't see an Windows 8 products in my future. I can see the attraction for a Win 8 tablet for some PC users but, after reading the comments in the various forums here, I'd say that most of the people talking about the Win 8 tablets would really do much better with a laptop.

I think that a LOT of people want to use a tablet like a laptop. I have one friend who is upset that Apple will not let him use a mouse. He envisions attaching a keyboard and mouse and attaching the tablet to the keyboard. This suggests he wants to use it like a laptop or even a desktop. to mea tablet isa very differnt portable device. It cannot do everything a larptop can (at least not as wekl) but it is highly portable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)