taking lessons from the boys (chicken wire & duck tape)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Considering how enormous the thing is I think that it's going to take some professional grade materials and work done to make it strong enough to survive at least a Category 1 hurricane. Cat 1's are nothing but a big poofy wind and some rain.. Ho-hum.. I'll sit on the deck out back and watch the trees whip around. Cat 2, um, I'll watch from inside the house. Cat 3, I'll ride that out with my folks in their house, they have a enormous generator. Cat 4 and up, nothing will be left, time to RUN for the hills!

I have a policy with my dishes that involves removing the reflector (and only the reflector, since it's the part that will catch the wind) if anything stronger than a Cat 1 is forecast to be within 150 miles of New Orleans. Its easy to re-bolt the reflectors back on after the storm. My roof mounts and poles (minus the reflectors) withstood the 140 mph winds of Katrina, and the mounts were still correctly aligned afterward!

I'm sorry I haven't been on today, I'm doubled over, having terrible pains inside today. :(

I should be better tomorrow. I hope.

nite nite.. :(

Fizbi, Where did you find the KTV2 schedule? I looked all over for one. Unless something has changed their programs always start at weird times 10 or 20 after the hour etc...I'll have to check and see if the schedule looks to be correct. Thanks Blind

Blind,

I found the schedule using Google search.

http://kuwaitlink.localweb.com/ktv2/schedule/

It's on their website, but I found it to not work unless you click on the correct graphic (mapped link).

Granted, it's a bad website. If you click on the above link (bolded), click on a day, not the actual schedule. For some reason, the schedule link doesn't work, but the daily ones seem to. I have not checked any of the days for accuracy.

I have watched many very good movies on this channel.

Wow, the past few days have been rough going.
Had a few days of my insides hurting I thought I was going to die.
Then my new housemate had problems and I had to take her to see a divorce lawyer today. That was no fun. Now my back is killing me! Does it ever end?

And it's been so nasty outside lately that it's been impossible to get outside and do *anything* on my little projects. I really want to get my HDTV antenna thingie built and put up this weekend. We're supposed to get a mild cool front and good weather, at long last.

One good thing about it, it's given me some time to rethink my ghettotenna project, I think I have a better idea that may be stronger than my first idea.

I think I'll use the rest of that lawn chair I took apart to fix the satellite dish for parts for my new and improved ghettotenna.

I've looked at lots more pictures of home made antenna you guys have made and that's helping me to cook up something of my own. No, I don't have a clue what I'm doing but I'll just make something that looks sort of like y'alls stuff and hope for the best. I've seen some kooky looking things people do for antennas, how can I go wrong?

I'm still no closer on getting the big primestar and motor put up. That's a major deal. Still no clue how I can attach the motor to the dish either.
I *think* me and my housemate can put the pole in the ground ourselves, I put a small one in by myself a few months back. I think two of us can do one. I hope.
Still I have to buy a new pole to put it on, I have used up all the ones the ex left behind, at least that I can find.

I think I need to get like a super duper strong pole because of hurricanes. What kind should I ask for and where would be the best place to get one? I don't think a plain old fence post will be strong enough, I dented one with the riding mower before and they bend pretty easy. Oh and how big around should it be?
Someone said it should be at least 3 feet in the ground and for me to be able to mow around it I would think it should be about 5 feet out of the ground so I'm thinking an 8 foot long pole would do it. But is 3 feet in the ground enough for something that big, that high up in the air?

Ok, my back is killing me, I need to go lay down for the night. I'll try to pop in tomorrow a bit.

Thanks you guys! :)

Wow, the past few days have been rough going.
Had a few days of my insides hurting I thought I was going to die.
Then my new housemate had problems and I had to take her to see a divorce lawyer today. That was no fun. Now my back is killing me! Does it ever end?

And it's been so nasty outside lately that it's been impossible to get outside and do *anything* on my little projects. I really want to get my HDTV antenna thingie built and put up this weekend. We're supposed to get a mild cool front and good weather, at long last.

One good thing about it, it's given me some time to rethink my ghettotenna project, I think I have a better idea that may be stronger than my first idea.

I think I'll use the rest of that lawn chair I took apart to fix the satellite dish for parts for my new and improved ghettotenna.

I've looked at lots more pictures of home made antenna you guys have made and that's helping me to cook up something of my own. No, I don't have a clue what I'm doing but I'll just make something that looks sort of like y'alls stuff and hope for the best. I've seen some kooky looking things people do for antennas, how can I go wrong?

I'm still no closer on getting the big primestar and motor put up. That's a major deal. Still no clue how I can attach the motor to the dish either.
I *think* me and my housemate can put the pole in the ground ourselves, I put a small one in by myself a few months back. I think two of us can do one. I hope.
Still I have to buy a new pole to put it on, I have used up all the ones the ex left behind, at least that I can find.

I think I need to get like a super duper strong pole because of hurricanes. What kind should I ask for and where would be the best place to get one? I don't think a plain old fence post will be strong enough, I dented one with the riding mower before and they bend pretty easy. Oh and how big around should it be?
Someone said it should be at least 3 feet in the ground and for me to be able to mow around it I would think it should be about 5 feet out of the ground so I'm thinking an 8 foot long pole would do it. But is 3 feet in the ground enough for something that big, that high up in the air?

Ok, my back is killing me, I need to go lay down for the night. I'll try to pop in tomorrow a bit.

Thanks you guys! :)

Dee!

You are so cruel! Don't you realize that you are making us feel so bad! It snowed 6" here the other day, rained ever since and it is crappy and cold outside and you are complaining about setting your dish up way down south where the weather is warm, the palm trees grow and all you got to gripe about is your aching back? :eek:

LOL!

You are so mean! ;)

I think the weather is going to dampen my outdoor playtime with my satellite adventure for a while. I don't like rain when it is 40 degrees outside or less. Just makes it seem like very little fun. It is now time for me to play and experiment with the indoor side of FTA until spring.

Just had to give you a hard time. But, you take care of your back and your friend. too. Especially your back, I know how that is.

As for a pole to mount your dish on, the very best thing I find is a galvanized water pipe. 1 1/4," 1 1/2" or 2" depending upon what you need to match your motor or dish clamp size. It is fairly cheap.

RADAR

OMG.

Well. Hmmmm.

So many surprises in my life lately.
All this work may be for naught.
IF things work out right it looks like I may be moving to Australia next year. Maybe.
I sort of got proposed to. But there is so much to work out first.
It's very iffy at this point so I'm going ahead with my projects as planned.
If I do go I'll just sell everything and let the buyers take it down.
I won't be able to take anything with me except clothes and my dogs. Everything else gets sold or given away.

It would be at least sept of next year before I would even begin selling things off and packing up so I figure I may as well keep playing with this stuff until then.

I think I will need to enlist the help of se of you math gurus later on designing a part so my dad can "fab" the thing for me.
My math skills are pretty poor to be totally honest.
What we have in mind is a metal thingie to go on the back of the dish and slide into the motor pipe thing. Whatever it's called.

I'll try to make a little sketch and put some photos up to so to be more precise on all this pot luck guess work.

Sort of bummed out that I can't have satellite down under. :river

We'll be in an apt in Brisbane, Queensland.
I guess we'll have cable though.
Gonna really hate the heat down there. :mad:

Oh well, as long as he spoils me and keeps the A/C on high I guess I'll be ok. :cool:

OMG.

Well. Hmmmm.

IF things work out right it looks like I may be moving to Australia next year. Maybe.
I won't be able to take anything with me except clothes and my dogs. Everything else gets sold or given away.

It would be at least sept of next year before I would even begin selling things off and packing up so I figure I may as well keep playing with this stuff until then.

I think I will need to enlist the help of se of you math gurus later on designing a part so my dad can "fab" the thing for me.
What we have in mind is a metal thingie to go on the back of the dish and slide into the motor pipe thing. Whatever it's called.

I'll try to make a little sketch and put some photos up to so to be more precise on all this pot luck guess work.

Oh well, as long as he spoils me and keeps the A/C on high I guess I'll be ok. :cool:

You will get a headache, walking around upside down all the time! It makes the blood rush into your head. :D:D :p

Right now I have a lot of heartache.
So much emotional stuff happening now.
Getting proposed to is pretty heady stuff.
And then there's a heart I have to break soon which in turn will break mine. :river

Anywho. Well can't put up the tv antenna, the boards are loose and wiggly. Plan B I guess. :(

Tell him that moving to Australia is out of the question due to the satellite reception issue :D ... Same with moving to any house without a good LOS from Southeast to Southwest ;) ...

A check of Lyngsat shows FTA channels available in Australia. Don't know what is on though except some of what's on 97W here. See sats in the 150E to 180E range.

Well, it looks like we'll be in an apartment. No satellite for me. :(
as for what's on tv down under, I have no clue. Guess I better start ripping dvd's asap.

I'm not counting on finding much to watch on the beeb.

But until then I'm going to keep at it with the things I have here.

OMG.

Well. Hmmmm.

Dee,

You can have some good sat stuff in "The Land Down Under". Check it out at AusTech. I am member there, too! SmallSadSam is my handle on AusTech.

But, there are satellites to dabble with there, too, so don't fret. I understand that you will be living in an apartment, and that will dampen the sat hobby that you are used to here, but you can still remain in touch and maybe you will get a house in the outback!

I was going to go there in December just to visit with a friend (who I don't know -just a group of people from the satellite scene). I really never expected to get there, but I did take the entire month of December off for that purpose.

Also, please tell us that this marriage proposal isn't something that just happened via an internet chat sort of thing? I hope you checked this all out very well ahead of time and it isn't some cyber romance, whimsy thing. You can get very hurt this way, and I don't mean just your ego or your heart and feelings. Please tell me that you are being very cautious!!! I wouldn't like to see you get hurt in any way, even if I only know you through this site and the conversations here. Everyone here very much cares about whatt happens to our friends and neighbors and all members here. You know that, of course. Just be doggone careful, will you please?

If its all on the level, then the very best to you and enjoy it! Don't forget to check out the AusTech site! Someday I might also get down there. I was looking at a job opportunity in the Queensland State just a few days ago. I have always wanted to go to the land down under, but I doubt I ever will, except for a vacation (not to live). I guess I am rooted too much here in Nebraska.

RADAR (AKA Gordy)

Dee,

Satellite dish self and provider run installations in apartment units are usually allowed by local by-laws and plentiful in apartment buildings all over North America, both of FTA and DBS broadcast targeting type, with the exception of C-band dishes. It should be no problem to install a motorized dish as well up to 1.2m on a balcony or mounted next to your kitchen window. The main issue is to master the task yourself, as not a lot of installers know how to do it, but everyone will claim they do, and ask for a hefty premium.

Dee -
I've visited the Vetrun forum for info on Aussie satellite technology over the years.

While you're here, ya might as well get as much done, and amass as much knowledge as possible.
Some, you might be able to transfer to your folks.

My impression of the scene down under, was that a lot of the fellows who didn't want pay TV ... had BUDs.
Not sure if that was correct at the time, nor if it is true today.
But, just as satellite TV in the UK is different from the US, Oz is it's own animal, too.

Best wishes. ... and take your sat meter. :cool:

Dee,

You can have some good sat stuff in "The Land Down Under". Check it out at AusTech. I am member there, too! SmallSadSam is my handle on AusTech.

But, there are satellites to dabble with there, too, so don't fret. I understand that you will be living in an apartment, and that will dampen the sat hobby that you are used to here, but you can still remain in touch and maybe you will get a house in the outback!

I was going to go there in December just to visit with a friend (who I don't know -just a group of people from the satellite scene). I really never expected to get there, but I did take the entire month of December off for that purpose.

Also, please tell us that this marriage proposal isn't something that just happened via an internet chat sort of thing? I hope you checked this all out very well ahead of time and it isn't some cyber romance, whimsy thing. You can get very hurt this way, and I don't mean just your ego or your heart and feelings. Please tell me that you are being very cautious!!! I wouldn't like to see you get hurt in any way, even if I only know you through this site and the conversations here. Everyone here very much cares about whatt happens to our friends and neighbors and all members here. You know that, of course. Just be doggone careful, will you please?

If its all on the level, then the very best to you and enjoy it! Don't forget to check out the AusTech site! Someday I might also get down there. I was looking at a job opportunity in the Queensland State just a few days ago. I have always wanted to go to the land down under, but I doubt I ever will, except for a vacation (not to live). I guess I am rooted too much here in Nebraska.

RADAR (AKA Gordy)

Oh no worries... The proposal is not formal yet. He hasn't put a ring on my finger, yet. I haven't said yes, yet. A lot has to happen between now and then and it's going to be late spring of next year before *anything* happens.

I'm not really too turned on by the idea of moving to a place so bloody hot. I was hoping for another proposal from a much more northerly guy I've been dating for over a year, I LOVE cold.

This guy tells me it gets cold down there. HA!! Sure, if you call 48f cold, well then, ok. It rarely gets any cooler than that in the depth of winter down there.
And in recent years I've found myself to have become intolerant of heat. I just can't take it here even in SE Texas. Even going into Walmart is so miserable hot that I can't take it in there unless I go to the frozen food section where the open coolers are. And outside? Forget it.

I'll bet it gets like 3x hotter than the core of the sun down there in Brisbane.
Maybe we could move to Antarctica.. Or I could get a job on the Sea Shepherd, at least it's cool where they are.

Honestly, the heat down there is the thing that really puts me off on the deal. I don't think I could handle it. And that crazy thing with driving on the wrong side of the road and backwards steering wheels scares me pretty good too. I think I would have a heart attack on my first car ride.

And riding on an airplane? OMG.. Drug me into a coma and stuff me in the cargo hold. I am terrified of airplanes. ALL airplanes. I swore I would never ever get on another. I don't know what to do about that.

My belongings, I guess I would have to sell and or give them all away except some clothes. Everything there runs on 240v and not even my new TV would work there. :(

At least I would be able to keep and use my iphone, I could pop in a Telstra (I think that's it) SIM and it would work. I would hate to have to buy a new one!
I'm not giving up my iphone. Nope. Sorry. Not happening.

Well, there's so much to consider and nothing is for sure yet. I have a least a full year to think it over. I would not be leaving at the very least for one full year.

So fear not, I'm not making some snap decision on a whim. I have a lot of time to work it out and think it out. :)

Oh and I guess I need to start searching for videos on life down under.

P.S. he's got such a sexy accent. :) To heck with that fake little lizard peddling insurance or that fakey food chain, Outback, I got the real deal.. :p

Last edited:
And in recent years I've found myself to have become intolerant of heat. I just can't take it here even in SE Texas. Even going into Walmart is so miserable hot that I can't take it in there unless I go to the frozen food section where the open coolers are. And outside? Forget it.

Exactly! The heat down here is intolerable for 9 months out of the year. I stay because I was born and raised in New Orleans, and its hard to leave your lifetime home. I do travel, but I always like it when I come back. At least we're now having SEASONABLE weather, and with the cool, dry air, I'm able to get many of my delayed satellite projects off of the ground. Now, if I could only get people to stop asking me why I'm in short sleeve shirts and not wearing a jacket when it's 60 F outside... :rolleyes:

Exactly! The heat down here is intolerable for 9 months out of the year. I stay because I was born and raised in New Orleans, and its hard to leave your lifetime home. I do travel, but I always like it when I come back. At least we're now having SEASONABLE weather, and with the cool, dry air, I'm able to get many of my delayed satellite projects off of the ground. Now, if I could only get people to stop asking me why I'm in short sleeve shirts and not wearing a jacket when it's 60 F outside... :rolleyes:

My BFF who is staying with me is freezing. LOL... She's a bit younger than me, maybe that's part of it, um, ya know? :rolleyes: Me? I'm in skirts and tshirts and lovin it!
She's all bundled up in sweats and wool. Heh, it hasn't really even gotten cool down here yet. I like it about 40f. I open all the doors and windows and let the north wind RIP through the house from sunrise until I go to bed. The dogs love it too, they get all crazy and run like their tails are on fire. :D And they have free run of the house and yard, free to wander in and out of the house as they please through the open patio doors.

I can imagine trying to walk them on a lease 100 times a day in the HOT sun down there, living in an apartment with no yard.. :(

I have to think about my babies too. They are cold weather dogs, not Dingos. Sigh...

motor mount

Dee Ann, I did this when I motorized my channel master 1.0. Looks like same dish to me. Just mount the metal pole mount upside down and use some type of shim around the motors arm to take up the space in the dish mount. see attached picture. I found it quite easy.

Attachments

• DSC01167.JPG
    DSC01167.JPG
    743.5 KB · Views: 95
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)