Team Summit: General Assembly Notes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Just curious...

Were the Dish retailers seriously impressed with what was announced today?
Do they think it's going to help them "Now go and sell some damn Dish Network!" to new subscribers?

Talon Dancer

Talks about 700Mhz and says that you will be able to watch Dish in you car, on your boat or sitting in the park. Soon you will have Dish Network anywhere.

:rolleyes:

Out next comes Mark Jackson and Leslie Harper to talk tech.

The new 2 way remotes are shown. They are the first remotes to use 2 way technology and also are the first to have the IR learning feature built in. The two way remote stores all your DVRs settings and timers into memory so if your DVR dies when you get a replacement the DVR will download all your settings to your replacement DVR. The two way remotes also have an interactive setup wizard which can be accessed by pressing and holding down the 0 button on the remote.

I wonder how many Patents they will end up defending in a lawsuit with the new remotes. :rolleyes:

Besides having Slingbox technology built in it also has Clip and sling which will let you send clips to friends.

I have been dreaming of something sort of like this. I hope they will add something similiar like give us the ability to send suggestions for certain shows to friends, or allow friends to see our timers or vice versa.

The 722s has a totally new interface, it has a guide with channel logos plus a totally new UHF remote, which features a touchpad and a trigger below it. The 722s also has a built in browser (although Jackson said it will only go to certain sites and will be tightly integrated with Yahoo.)

Another good feature to look forward to....... SOON.

Next month they will be adding a USB Storage folder in your My Recording section so that your USB Hard drive recordings cn be easilly accessed.

Uh huh... next Month? Did they give the actual name of the month? :rolleyes:

They talk about the DTVPal and the DTVPal DVR for a moment.

Was there any suggested date of when these were going to be available?

Eric Sahl then comes out and announces that More HD is coming to Dish this Summer and another wave is coming this fall. He says they are working on making some of the HD RSN's which have a lot of HD content available 24/7.

So I take it we shouldn't be looking for any additional HD this week or next few weeks then? :confused: As for the RSN's..... does that mean they can actually count them as an HD channel? :rolleyes:

=============================

Thanks for all of the information Scott. I'm pretty pleased with the new features planned for the 722k. I think it puts alot of us in limbo as to when we should try and update our Hardware now.

Sounds like much ado about nothing.

And like another poster said "NO mention of Voom".

bjf

Sounds like much ado about nothing.

And like another poster said "NO mention of Voom".

bjf

I doubt Charlie will say anything about VOOM... "on the record"

Hopefully he will give some sort of in sight during the Meet and Greet.... if he shows up.

I'm sure there will be ALOT of questions about it. I just hope it doesn't take up all of the time and distract all of the attention away from asking other questions about what future plans they have with HD and any other tech items.

I can answer that right now... due to DRM you won't see an ATSC output.

The 722s sounds really cool. I was dogging the add on tuner deal but the ability to view two separate OTA signals is very cool.

Is it view two or record two ota signals as well as 2 sat signals? Now that would be very cool if this was the case. I would definately want one then.

Wondering if the dealers in attendence have the gutts to voice their true feelings concerning the VOOM screw up? Dropping Voom Channels so close to adding 19 Nat'l HD was a POOR decision. Not advising the dealer base of the impending "DOOM", prior to the date, was even a bigger mistake. Scott, what have you seen or heard concerning this matter?

The ideal solution here would be something that runs over coax, but is an encrypted digital stream that you have a 'sidecar' in the other room that decodes everything and talks via Coax back to the main receiver

No, the ideal solution would be for the government to start standing up for the rights of the public rather than the rights of corporations and quit permitting unreasonable restrictions in the name of copyrights.

Wondering if the dealers in attendence have the gutts to voice their true feelings concerning the VOOM screw up? Dropping Voom Channels so close to adding 19 Nat'l HD was a POOR decision. Not advising the dealer base of the impending "DOOM", prior to the date, was even a bigger mistake. Scott, what have you seen or heard concerning this matter?

One point about the Dealers... it has been posted in other threads that they may not be as upset about the removal of VOOM, since alot of their potential new subs are not always aware of what VOOM is, and mainly inquire about the other well known basic networks.

Unless of course they have a personal interest in the VOOM NETWORK, then of course they may have some true feelings concerning how the VOOM channels were removed.

I'm still hoping the guys hear something in the meet and greet.

Not a mistake

I am a DISH retailer. I do not think this was a mistake. I activated approximately 800 customers in the last 12 months and have not received 1 telephone call regarding the Voom channels being gone. When Court TV and others were taken off because of negotiations going south on a new carriage agreement, my phone rang non stop. I think there are a select view that really enjoyed these channels. And I am willing to be, that when DISH went to the 2 tier HD Packages in February most were signing up for the first tier, because the Voom channels arent that much of a draw.

Is it view two or record two ota signals as well as 2 sat signals? Now that would be very cool if this was the case. I would definately want one then.

Hopefully it is view and record two OTA as well as two SAT signals, giving a total of a possible 4 recordings at once.

It is a bit of overkill, but I have had some instances where this would be very handy. Sometimes, I only want to record 3 shows (not view them) mainly during primetime, and would just rather be able to view something else while it is recording.

I mainly use both my 622 and 722 in single mode, however, if given the ability to use 2 OTA and 2 SAT tuners, I might start using it in dual mode more often. 1 OTA and 1 SAT tuner for each tv location would be more feasible.

I am a DISH retailer. I do not think this was a mistake. I activated approximately 800 customers in the last 12 months and have not received 1 telephone call regarding the Voom channels being gone. When Court TV and others were taken off because of negotiations going south on a new carriage agreement, my phone rang non stop. I think there are a select view that really enjoyed these channels. And I am willing to be, that when DISH went to the 2 tier HD Packages in February most were signing up for the first tier, because the Voom channels arent that much of a draw.

I'm not saying that the voom channels were at the top of my list. I understand that E* has bandwidth difficulties. Voom execs were warned that if changes were not done, this could happen. What my concern is the time frame. E* has been encouraged from many sources to supply more HD offerings. They responded, added 3 then 19 = 22. Then terminated 15. Net 7. Made a hoopla over the 22? {19} failing to inform the customer OR the dealer that the Ultimate pack was to loose 15 with no cost adjustment. Apparently your customers are more concerned with saving the $10. Lets face it, the future of the tv industry is being primed by HD. I hope that your future continues to benefit from it..

The two way remote stores all your DVRs settings and timers into memory so if your DVR dies when you get a replacement the DVR will download all your settings to your replacement DVR. (My thoughts on this is you shouldn't have to ever need a replacement DVR) ;)

So - you've never replaced a working DVR with a new, better model ??

If I am slinging hd from one tv to another, how would this benefit Dish??

It would mean one receiver for two tvs and both in HD. IT would mean they could still charge the extra fee for no phone line or broadband connection if they didn't keep plugged in. IT would mean easier installations and less coax runs. It would mean more subs who would want these type of receivers, because they would only need one coax leading into your house ,that could be diplexed for ota and sat to two sat tuners, possibly two ota (not confirmed yet), all to the same receiver. These receivers would be in high demand because a lot of people don't want coax run all over their house and pay extra receiver fees when they wouldn't have to with this sling modem built into each receiver. It would mean an advantage over Directv where they have to run two coaxes to each receiver and still have to have a seperate antenna run as well.

ADVANTAGE DISH.

I'm not saying that the voom channels were at the top of my list. I understand that E* has bandwidth difficulties. Voom execs were warned that if changes were not done, this could happen. What my concern is the time frame. E* has been encouraged from many sources to supply more HD offerings. They responded, added 3 then 19 = 22. Then terminated 15. Net 7. Made a hoopla over the 22? {19} failing to inform the customer OR the dealer that the Ultimate pack was to loose 15 with no cost adjustment. Apparently your customers are more concerned with saving the $10. Lets face it, the future of the tv industry is being primed by HD. I hope that your future continues to benefit from it..

So really, you're obsessed over the channel count, and not the quality of the programming?

There's no question that the Dish lineup is stronger today than it was a week ago.

So really, you're obsessed over the channel count, and not the quality of the programming?

There's no question that the Dish lineup is stronger today than it was a week ago.
There is much question, as I see it as weaker today than it was a week ago. And I am obsessed with the quality of the programming, and not the channel count.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)