Testing tomorrow

Status
Please reply by conversation.
LaK7, the only way I got the bars to light up for 74W was by entering 11734. This is why I was asking. At least in this way I know where I am. Pretty well still where I was this morning but with much more knowledge. Thank You. USALS working from 74W to 99W only. Come to 101w, I scan but get nothing. The channel master that I loaded from Iceberg has a bunch of TP's for 101W but the only one that lights up the bars is 10.020. Save and blind scan but still nothing. I did switch from USALS to 1.2 on that one to fine tune to the East. Scanned again but still nothing. The temp pole I have the dish on might need be to checked as it does seem to be "flimsy". I'm still not quite 100% sure about the TP thing. It's the key to everything I see and need to understand it better. Made great progress today and didn't get much else done that I should have around the house, LOL. Will do much more reading and testing during the week. Long weekend off work coming and I will get back at it. Thank You everyone again for all the help. You are becoming to many to mention.

You confirmed you got H2 @ 74.
The "Bars" will only light up when you have a Live TP selected and pointed to the correct Sat. There are probably 2 "AMC 4" Sats in your list. One for C-Band(Big Ugly Dish) and one for Ku-Band(your dish) Look at the TP list, if the Freq. are 4 digits, that is for C-Band, you can't get. Ku-Band has 5 Digits. Make sure you have the Ku Sat selected.
I have attached a Pic from Lyngsat. Someone sent something like this to me, and it helped. There is alot of info there, need to understand the basics first.

Red is Frequency - Ku is 5 digits, C is 4 digits
Green is Polarity - Horz or Vert for Linear(FTA) Sats
Blue is Scan Rate - Can be almost anything from 1000 - 40000
Yellow is Video Encryption / Format - You can only get "DVB"

Re-reading thru, I see you have "Single SL" for LNB type. I would change that to "Standard".

Also, instead of trying to get every Sat. Start with just 2, your True South Sat(H2 @ 74) and as far west as you can see(I think you said 121). Start at 74 Get you Sig for ONN and try to tweak by adjusting Dish elevation up and down(not motor) Use a marker to mark setting before moving. Then use USALS to drive to 119, make sure you Change to Circular Port, LNB Freq 11250, and a Live TP Selected. Again, if necessary, slightly adjust Dish. Once you can bounce between those 2 Sats, you should be able to USALS to any Sat in your Line Of Sight, Blind Scan and get Channels.

"Tracking the Belt" is only where this hobby Starts.

Attachments

• Lyngsat.jpg
    Lyngsat.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 124
Making slow but forward moving progress. Have72W-107.3W locked in. A few in between missing but there is nothing there anyway. I have a good handle on Channel Master now and making my own list. With a lot of reading I now understand the TP thing. I will save what I have now to go back too but, since the long weekend in Canada is coming and the weather ok, guess where you will find me !! I need pointers again.
First , I can't get past 107 with a signal locked in. I have to pull the dish arm down to get a better signal on some of the bigger number sats. I know I have to tilt the dish down some how without affecting the others. My DG240 (Sadoun motor manual) tells me in the elevation and declination angle table where I am 45 degree lat. is elev. angle 45/6.8 declin./bracket 28.2. The arm on the motor is bent 40 degrees is it not? Once the motor is installed, these #'s must be reversed as I have the dish at about 42 +- degrees now and the motor at 38.1 +- for 74W. (True South).
Either way, take the 40 degrees in the arm, add 6.8. Pull the dish down before playing the the motor angle??? Right?? Surely there will be some play in there somewhere.
Next, I added TP's as indicated using the "Add tp" option on my CoolSat 5000 using the green button but I get no tone ?? Any idea why? I know sometimes it may take a minute or 2 to kick in if the dish is off some. Hope the new Channel Master list I will load in using "The List" here will help me this weekend with this. This is fun but I do have chores to do... LOL. Thanks for any ideas you all may have.
Looking forward to exploring what LaK7 means by "Tracking the Belt" is only where this hobby Starts. Tracker.

"Once the motor is installed, these #'s must be reversed as I have the dish at about 42 +- degrees now and the motor at 38.1 +- for 74W. (True South)."

http://sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/HH-mount-installation.htm

Reset to your proper angles. It is possible to any combo of angles to get your True South Sat, but you will not Track the Arc.
Drive to 74west
Set motor to 45 (your Lat) and leave it there(no tweaking)
Set Dish to 28(according to Sadoun), tweak for best sig.
Then tweak by adjusting the Whole Motor(not driving) East / West for best sig
Then pick a sat to the west, farther west the better, and tweak.

"Looking forward to exploring what LaK7 means by "Tracking the Belt" is only where this hobby Starts"
Think about how much you have learned in the past week!

Last edited:
BINGO ! LaK7, thanks for the help. No matter how hard one tries if it's not right,, well it's simply just not right, Right? LOL. That did it. I see how this part of it works now but will do a lot more reading to fully understand. I do have a few questions now that I'm at this stage but I would like to try to figure these out by myself. If I can't, then at least I know where to go for answers! At least now I have the Birds in sight for me to test. This was the part that was the hardest physically, as I had to crawl in and out of a window. Thank you all for the help so far and with guidance, letting me do this by myself and not have to rely on outside help if my setup needs mechanical attention in the future. I think it's time for me to let this thread go. I can't Thank You all enough and Iceberg for having this site to help others!! You are a great bunch of truly "friendly testers". Tracker.

I am glad you got it. I thank you, it was fun. I hope you enjoy it. One final thing, if you tweaked to the Echo Sats, those are powerful birds, you mat have to re-tweak a little for linear.

This was the part that was the hardest physically, as I had to crawl in and out of a window.
I think it's time for me to let this thread go.
Oh, no, you don't get off that easily. :cool:
We want a picture of you crawling through the window! - :D
Maybe a nice outside view with you in the window, and the dish in the background?

. . . or at least waving from the window, but with the dish in the view!

Why not. I'm a good sport. "HEY BUDDY !!, Ya you up there. Did you ever hear of a ladder !!" LOL.

Attachments

• IM001857.JPG
    IM001857.JPG
    296 KB · Views: 134
  • IM001859.JPG
    IM001859.JPG
    326.1 KB · Views: 154
  • IM001860.JPG
    IM001860.JPG
    342.5 KB · Views: 135
okay, I'm convinced . . .

. . . you're certifiable. - :D

:eek: - Damn ! - :eek:

What some people will do for FTA ! - :cool:

We need to get SatGuy badges, lapel pins, or maybe tie tacks, and definitely send this guy one!

Quote from another thread:
(PS. Anole, watch what you ask for, you might not get what you expected! Like the Pics? The last one was for you! LOL). Tracker.

I had a little trouble realizing which post you were talking about, then I rembered this thread.

Hey, I liked it just fine
At least you didn't include any moons in the view! - :eek:
That probably wouldn't go over here real well. - :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts