The 942 is HERE!

Actually, it doesn't have to be in standby mode, but there can't be any timers recording when the update time hits. I'd recommend putting it into standby mode, though, for the guide updates when you have them scheduled.

Mark (or anyone else):
I've been using my new 942 for 3 days and so far, the only issue I've found is that the close captioning gets activated on some channels, even when I have it set it to off under "preferences->close captioning". Is this a known "bug"? If so, any workarounds? I simply want to keep it off all time.

Walter, I think that you actually have CC turned on. The toggle switch is confusing - if the button says "Off", that means that CC is activated, and you need to select that option to turn it off. If it says "On", that means that it's currently off, and you need to select that button to turn it on.

A new screen with on and off selection options has been added for the next version to do away with the confusion.

markdl said:
Walter, I think that you actually have CC turned on. The toggle switch is confusing - if the button says "Off", that means that CC is activated, and you need to select that option to turn it off. If it says "On", that means that it's currently off, and you need to select that button to turn it on.
:eek: :shocked :confused: . Wow, you're right. I was confused. Changed to "On" and it works. I'm glad that they've figured out that this is really confusing. Thanks for your help.

Walter L. said:
:eek: :shocked :confused: . Wow, you're right. I was confused. Changed to "On" and it works. I'm glad that they've figured out that this is really confusing. Thanks for your help.
I don't know why, but the "logic" goes like this: You see a menu option that says "CC Off"; if you select it, it turns CC Off. Once you start treating the menus like this, it makes life with the 942 easier.

942 Missing OTA channels

I just noticed that my 942 is missing the OTA HD channels on the second TV with no apparent way to add them. They are there on TV1! I called Dish and they filled out an "uncommon Trend Report", hmmmm, to me just a plain 'ol bug, lol.

Vinny

If you're running in Dual User mode, you don't have access to the OTA channels from TV2. You can only access them in Single User mode.

Or, you can start a recording from TV1, and then start watching the DVR event on TV2. That's a way around it.

Not a bug...a business decision to get you to sub to your Dish locals package.

Model 942

Have been using the 942 since March 29th and have had good results so far. The only problem I am having is with the DVI output. It disappears after a period of time, alway less than 24 hrs. Have hooked up the composite outputs and they work fine. Have informed Echo on the problem I am having.
Hard drive will hold 30hrs HD and about 180 hr standard. Unit does shut it self down if the internal temp exceeds 129 degrees. (Warning 355) This will be increased in a later upgrade, engineering knows this is to low. I had a Model 921 which I replaced with the 942. So far its operation has been impressive. By the way I can restore the DVI output with a power-on-reset but It soon disappears again. Did a comparison of the picture quality (when it was working) DVI vs Composite and the composite appeared to be better then the DVI. The colors were brighter and it had better contrast! Tv used is a Samsung 50" DLP. This is an killer combination. If anyone experiences the same loss of DVI output please put that information up. "Chow"

rnesky said:
<snip>.....Did a comparison of the picture quality (when it was working) DVI vs Composite and the composite appeared to be better then the DVI. The colors were brighter and it had better contrast! Tv used is a Samsung 50" DLP. This is an killer combination. If anyone experiences the same loss of DVI output please put that information up. "Chow"

Tell us you meant to say "component" instead or composite.

pres the sys info, if it's not on page 1 it may be on page 2 or 3 (in the sys info that is)

Is there an easier way in the Guide to change days? Right now I keep pressing the right arrow and have to go thru every tv show.

Is there a Page right or Page left button that I am not using or can't find?

jbcheshire said:
Just curious, does this work on any of the other E* receivers or just the 942???

It does for the DVR's. Don't know about the standard receivers which use DVR remotes, such as the 811.

It works for any receiver that has a remote with the skip forward skip back buttons. The only non-DVR that has a DVR remote that I know of is the 811