The NEW iPhone 4S Discussion

If those screen protectors are the real thing (a BIG if), it looks like the top bezel might be really small.
And this all brings us back to the almost 5 months old article by Topolsky with a (revised) sketch based
on the description from a "trusted" mole: Mac Air wedge-like profile with flat sides and teardrop-like back...

iPhone-5_new_mock_timn.jpg

I believe there will be just one difference: the bezel width will be the same on 3 sides (except the bottom)...
In other words, the often mentioned "edge-to-edge" screen means narrow bezel on top instead of no bezel on the sides...

Diogen.

There is also speculation that it is the new iPod touch with 3G/WiFi like the iPad without phone support.
Is there (will there be) a difference between iPod Touch with 3G and an iPhone without carrier subsidy/lock-in?

In other words, can you make the cell radio chip in a smartphone do 3G (data) but not do voice?

Diogen.

Is there (will there be) a difference between iPod Touch with 3G and an iPhone without carrier subsidy/lock-in?

In other words, can you make the cell radio chip in a smartphone do 3G (data) but not do voice?

Diogen.

Why not?

Diogen.

Isn't that what they have pretty much done with the iPad? I would picture the iTouch just being a mini version of the iPad with the same chipset for 3G.

Don't know...
I've seen phones that do only voice, i.e. not smartphones.
I've seen phones that do voice and 2G, i.e. old smartphones.
I've seen phones that do everything, i.e. new smartphones.

I've not seen phones that do data and not voice on a radio chip level.
You can have data-only plan (e.g. iPad) but that is on SIM/carrier level...

In other words, change your plan and the same device will do voice and data.

Diogen.

Isn't that what they have pretty much done with the iPad? I would picture the iTouch just being a mini version of the iPad with the same chipset for 3G.
And the iPad2 can make calls. I have seen video of people switching simcards from their phone to the iPad and using their iPad as a phone

Just an example: this is the motherboard of the 3G iPhone (taken from here)
ZCrRCYMfnBeNLSxC.large

It uses the Infineon UMTS Transceiver (top right corner). The same chip is used in many smartphones including Nexus S.
This chip according to Intel (Intel acquired Infineon) does both duties, voice and data.

Hence, any device with this chip can potentially do both voice and data.
Some of the capabilities can be disabled in software/firmware, but there is always the risk it will be re-enabled again.
Examples: Nook Color doesn't have Bluetooth. When you install CM7 it magically appears...
Or enabling additional cores on AMD CPUs using standard Gigabyte motherboard features...

Considering every new generation of smartphones has fewer chips (i.e. combined functionality),
unless you build your own chip, you can't disable voice functions in any form but software...

Diogen.

Didn't want you to feel lonely...

Wasn't it Al Gore who said he invented the internets or was that GWB who used the term internets?

As for new "iphones", highly probable as it's about time Apple introduce colors including chromes and metallics. ( I'll make wild prediction here ) Of course Al could just mean the iphone with different memory sizes and different carriers. Regardless, it really is a non issue since Apple has never from day one only introduced one version of the iphone. If I recall on day one they introduced 2 with different memory capacities. Real news would be if Apple only introduced one version of the iphone5.

Urban myth, and an interview taken out of context. In an interview with Wolf Blitzer, Gore said that "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system."

Yes, the wording was poorly chosen, but totally taken out of context. Move on.

I am not sure what the big deal is about Gore, and Apple Board Member, letting slip new iphones (and the plural may mean nothing more than CDMA and GSM ones, or phones with different memory configurations), given how WIDELY it has been reported over the past SIX months!!!!

...and the plural may mean nothing more than CDMA and GSM ones, or phones with different memory configurations.
It may and may not.
Since the first 2007 event Apple never showed more than one new form factor at their annual event.
All the variability - RAM and later GSM/CDMA - was never anything but internal (unlike the Galaxy S II).

Therefore, if a person with obvious "insder" credentials is talking in plural, that would mean something...
But you are right, when this insider is Al Gore with his affinity to poorly chosen wording, nobody should read much into it.

What is actually what my previous post was all about...:)

Diogen.

There has been constant rumors of a low cost iphone for the prepaid market. So, there could be 2 iPhones introduced. There is also a rumor of a spring launch of a 4G iphone.

There has been constant rumors of a low cost iphone for the prepaid market.
And that would be understandable.
You can sell only so many $1K handsets in a market like China.

But the main reason in this case is not so much making money as it is to be a player in the "budget" market.
I don't think they are ready to hand over complete control of that segment to Android...

Diogen.

AT&T Wages Quiet War on Grandfathered Unlimited Users

New Cell Phone Tower but Who's Antenna?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts